Speaking of Henry Spencer

Old September 11th 08, 05:45 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Eric Chomko[_2_]

Default Speaking of Henry Spencer

On Sep 11, 12:30*pm, kT wrote:
Eric Chomko wrote:
On Sep 10, 1:03 pm, kT wrote:
Eric Chomko wrote:

[...]
Trying to talk to you is like bashing my head against the wall.
Dude, you're the one that is tied to Windows. You try and create a
sort of maverick/renagade persona, but then are tied to Windows
instead of Mac and/or Unix, Linux, any damn thing other than Windows!
I didn't do it, the author of the program did it. Take it up with him.

But noooooooo, you think yourself a decent techno-geek and you don't
even know or use Unix as far as I can tell. Sad, really...
That's because Unix sucks as well. I thought perhaps you knew that.

Wait, you claim to be inspired by Henry Spencer

I use whatever tools happen to be in front of me. That could be Unix.

I WAS inspired by Henry with regards to his AMD K6 SCSI UNIX NTTP
problem. Why would I want to implement something that doesn't work?

Unix works fine, Windows is borken.

and yet you claim Unix
sucks. According to wiki's entry on Henry he is quite knowledgable in
Unix and C as well.

Henry claims to be knowledgeable about a lot of stuff.

Actually wiki made the claim.

How can you claim to have a Henry Spencer machine
that runs just Windows?!

It's an improvement. His previous machine was no longer working.

No dude, it would at least have a duel boot
and one of the OS's would be a Unix variant (Linux perhaps?). And you
would have a decent C complier as well.

That would be a waste of time. Even tracking down Henry's problem was a
waste of time. The only reason I did it was that I had a stack of old
Socket 7 boards and CPUs with which to experiment with, and I was
feeling in an experimental mood in the middle of the winter.

I write my own programming languages and operating systems, Eric.

I'd rather look as those than Orbiter. Let's have a look at Elifritz
Works(TM).

Usually when somebody asks that I just post a copy of my 6502 assembler.

I recall the entire system recompiled itself from 256 - 256 byte blocks
into an 8K nucleus, in roughly a minute or so on the Woz's 8 bit floppy
disk, but took several minutes on the serial VIC-1541. As with any 16
bit Forth, the entire recompilable operating system fits into 16 KBytes.

: AS ( n) * CONSTANT DOES @ ;
: IS ( n) * CONSTANT DOES @ C, ;
: TO ( n) * CONSTANT DOES @ C, , ;

HEX ( Were these some page zero tricks?)

D0 AS U * D1 AS U' ( User)
D2 AS S * D3 AS S' ( Data Stack)
D4 AS R * D5 AS R' ( Return Stack)
D6 AS I * D7 AS I' ( Instruction Pointer)
D8 AS W * D9 AS W' ( Word Pointer)
DA AS C * DB AS C' ( Code Pointer)
DC AS N * DD AS N' ( Number Pointer?)
DE AS Y * DF AS Y' ( Indirect Pointer?)

HEX ( Refer to the 6502 technical reference manuals.)

08 IS PHP * 28 IS PLP * 48 IS PHA * 68 IS PLA
A8 IS TAY * 98 IS TYA * AA IS TAX * 8A IS TXA
88 IS DEY * C8 IS INY * CA IS DEX * E8 IS INX
BA IS TSX * 9A IS TXS
18 IS CLC * 38 IS SEC * 58 IS CLI * 78 IS SEI
B8 IS CLV * D8 IS CLD * F8 IS SED * EA IS NOP
40 IS RTI * 60 IS RTS * 00 IS BRK
09 AS A * * 09 AS # *( make sure HEX 0A is written as such.)
05 AS Z * * 15 AS Z) ( page zero tricks)

0D AS AB *( Be careful here, this could be misinterpreted as HEX.)
1D AS +X * *19 AS +Y
01 AS X) * *11 AS Y)

DECIMAL ( The following definition demonstrates uncarefulness.)

: CW, ( n n) * DUP 15 AND AB = SWAP +Y = OR IF , ELSE C, THEN ;
: AW, ( n) * DUP A = IF DROP ELSE CW, THEN ;
: /# ( n - n) * DUP # = IF 8 - THEN ;

: EIGHT ( n) * CONSTANT DOES @ OVER + C, CW, ;
: FIVE *( n) * CONSTANT DOES @ OVER 1+ + C, AW, ;
: FOUR *( n) * CONSTANT DOES @ OVER /# 1+ + C, CW, ;
: THREE ( n) * CONSTANT DOES @ OVER /# 1- + C, CW, ;

HEX ( Refer to the 6502 technical reference manuals.)

00 EIGHT ORA * 20 EIGHT AND * 40 EIGHT EOR * 60 EIGHT ADC
80 EIGHT STA * A0 EIGHT LDA * C0 EIGHT CMP * E0 EIGHT SBC
00 FIVE ASL * *20 FIVE ROL * *40 FIVE LSR * *60 FIVE ROR
80 FOUR STX * *A0 FOUR LDX * *C0 FOUR DEC * *E0 FOUR INC
80 THREE STY * A0 THREE LDY * C0 THREE CPY * E0 THREE CPX
20 THREE BIT ( The Cosmic Opcode, which I never used once.)

20 TO JSR * 4C TO JMP * 6C TO JMPI

10 AS 0 * *50 AS VS * *90 AS CS * *D0 AS 0=

: NOT ( n - n) * 20 + ;
: BEGIN ( - a) * HERE ;
: UNTIL ( a n) * C, HERE 1+ - C, ;
: IF ( n - a) * C, HERE 0 C, ;
: THEN ( a) * HERE OVER 1+ - SWAP C! ;
: ELSE ( a - a) * 4C C, HERE 0 , SWAP THEN ;
: ELSETHEN ( a) * HERE SWAP ! ; ( Stupid, but it worked.)

( Inner Interpreter)

CODE EXIT * *0 # LDY * R Y) LDA * I Z STA * INY
R Y) LDA * I' Z STA * R Z INC * R Z INC

LABEL NEXT * 0 # LDY * I Y) LDA * W Z STA * INY
I Y) LDA * W' Z STA * I Z LDA * CLC * 2 # ADC
I Z STA * I' Z LDA * 0 # ADC * I' Z STA

LABEL RUN * *0 # LDY * W Y) LDA * C Z STA * INY
W Y) LDA * C' Z STA * C JMPI

You'll just have to trust me that this sets the bar for retro cool.

I've already shipped (donated) the whole box of this stuff to Germany,
to some very interested retro 6502 enthusiasts many years ago, Eric.

I remember the 6502. I designed a 6502 and 6800 dual CPU single board
computer. I got an A on the project.

I recall how the X and Y registers were used for the memory-mapped
video and how simliar the 6501 was to the 6800. In fact I used the
6800 back in those days. Oh and the base page 0 stuff to make the code
smaller. I also recall how the 6809 allowed you to move the base page
through memory and allowed you to address beyond the 64KB memory map
area.
Old September 11th 08, 06:00 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
kT

Eric Chomko wrote:
On Sep 11, 12:30 pm, kT wrote:
Eric Chomko wrote:
On Sep 10, 1:03 pm, kT wrote:
Eric Chomko wrote:
[...]
Trying to talk to you is like bashing my head against the wall.
Dude, you're the one that is tied to Windows. You try and create a
sort of maverick/renagade persona, but then are tied to Windows
instead of Mac and/or Unix, Linux, any damn thing other than Windows!
I didn't do it, the author of the program did it. Take it up with him.
But noooooooo, you think yourself a decent techno-geek and you don't
even know or use Unix as far as I can tell. Sad, really...
That's because Unix sucks as well. I thought perhaps you knew that.
Wait, you claim to be inspired by Henry Spencer

I use whatever tools happen to be in front of me. That could be Unix.

I WAS inspired by Henry with regards to his AMD K6 SCSI UNIX NTTP
problem. Why would I want to implement something that doesn't work?

Unix works fine, Windows is borken.

That's so weird that I can still post on the usenet then.

and yet you claim Unix
sucks. According to wiki's entry on Henry he is quite knowledgable in
Unix and C as well.

Henry claims to be knowledgeable about a lot of stuff.

Actually wiki made the claim.

You mean somebody writing the Wiki article made that claim.

[...]

I'm trying to forget.

There were some weird 6502 and Z-80 extensions as well, and of course,
the 80286 was the king of segmentation. All that stuff is history now.

But if you still want to RUN retro, I can fix you up.

It would almost be easier to start over.