Question about gravity

Old March 16th 10, 11:40 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity,sci.astro
mathematician

Default Question about gravity

On 15 maalis, 08:42, MicroTech wrote:
Can someone in this forum please help me sort out a confusing issue?

Many scientists (including Einstein) claim that gravity is not a
force, but the effect of mass on the "fabric of spacetime". Many other
scientists refer to gravity as one of the four fundamental
interactions (three, if one considers the unification of the weak and
electromagnetic interactions, the "electroweak" force).

Adding to the confusion, some scientists use both concepts with no
apparent difficulty:
Stephen Hawking (in his "A Brief History Of Time") first says that
gravity is not a force, but "simply" the effect of mass on the
"spacetime fabric" (making it "curve"). However, later in the book, he
refers to gravity as a fundamental force, carried by the graviton.

So what is gravity, "really"? Does anybody really know? Or do we just
know its effects?

Is it an attractive force "mutually pulling" the Earth towards the Sun
(and vice versa), "causing" the Earth to "fall" towards the Sun? And
due to the "forward motion" of the Earth, exactly matching the
"gravitational pull", it stays in orbit (just like any other
satellite, man-made or not); OR

Is it the mass of the Sun that "curves spacetime", so no force is
interacting with the Earth, it is just moving in a "straight line"
along a "curved spacetime" geodesic?

At my current level of understanding, gravity should be one or the
other, and not both...

If Einstein's concept of "curved spacetime" is "correct," where does
the (hypothetical?) "graviton" (and/or "gravitino") enter the picture?

References to published papers (accessible online) would be much
appreciated!

Henry Norman

I have thought one possibility that origin of gravitational
interaction could be

"oscillation of size of neutrino´s signal periphery"

What you think about this possibility?

(Neutrinos are described as colored black holes in this H-M´s
picture.)

Best Regards,

Hannu Poropudas
Old March 17th 10, 08:13 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity,sci.astro
mathematician

On 16 maalis, 13:40, mathematician wrote:
[...]

I would expect that different kind of "light particles" would
be produced due oscillation of size of neutrino´s signal periphery.

I would expect also that these "light particles" would also
correspond different kind of waves.

Please take a look my summary from year 1992 to 2009.
Address of this more than 1500 ASCII text pages can be
found from my profile page.

(Question here is not ordinary photon and corresponding
ordinary electromagnetic waves.)

Hannu
Old March 19th 10, 05:49 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity,sci.astro
mathematician

On 17 maalis, 10:13, mathematician wrote:
[...]

I would also expect that these light particles are not
Higg´s particles W+- , Z0, H0 due these are composite
in H-M´s picture. They are something presently unknown ?

Hannu

Gravity and lightspeed question Steve2 Astronomy Misc 14 January 12th 08 06:48 PM
Gravity Question Pete UK Astronomy 25 September 3rd 06 09:55 PM
Weird Question About How Gravity Works Mick Fin Policy 3 May 10th 04 07:32 PM
Gravity of the Sun and Solar system question. IWJPoel Amateur Astronomy 12 December 4th 03 08:19 AM
Beginner question about gravity Ed L. Amateur Astronomy 9 November 12th 03 04:19 AM