Desert Fire

Old July 13th 06, 02:59 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Starlord

Default Desert Fire

About two weeks ago some guy was asking about place to go in S.Calif desert
for stargazing, right now I don't think anyplace south of the AV area is
safe, over 37,000ac's of land burned in one fire alone and there's 3 others
burning. None up here in the AV area.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net
In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden
Blast Off Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/starlords
Astro Blog
http://starlord.bloggerteam.com/

Old July 13th 06, 04:22 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Edward Erbeck

"Starlord" wrote:

About two weeks ago some guy was asking about place to go in S.Calif desert
for stargazing, right now I don't think anyplace south of the AV area is
safe, over 37,000ac's of land burned in one fire alone and there's 3 others
burning. None up here in the AV area.

Dennis don't you think you're being a bit of an alarmist here? You're
saying everything South of the Antelope Valley is in Danger ?!
Granted, these are good sized fires. But for California sadly not
unusual. So my guess is there are folks South of you that are perfectly
safe.

Crazy Ed

Old July 13th 06, 04:50 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Starlord

The area where that guy wanted to go is just about all aflame, I would say
that's not good at all and the viewing with all that smoke must be bad. I
know it was in 04/05 when so much of L.A.'s smoke was coming over the AV
area. Plus one guy came back, he had been on a caming trip down there near
one of the areas and they closed down the camp area. 15% control of fire is
not much and they are predicting up to 100,000ac's to be burned and it is
heading to a large national park too, they said if it reachs that they are
in BIG trouble.

Sure San Diego county is safe, and to the west is safe, but in the area
around the fires I would say it's not any good for stargazing. I watch the
film that showed one house go up almost like a bomb.

Old July 13th 06, 04:53 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Florian[_1_]

Granted, these are good sized fires. But for California sadly not
unusual. So my guess is there are folks South of you that are perfectly
safe.

True. But still some very nasty fires. I took these shots Wednesday afternoon at about 5pm looking toward the NW from Palm Springs. The highest peak just left of the smoke is San Gorgonio...

http://www.stargazing.com/pub/fire_0711a.jpg

http://www.stargazing.com/pub/fire_0711b.jpg

Otherwise the skies were delightfully clear. Sigh...

-Florian
Old July 13th 06, 05:07 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Edward Erbeck

Florian wrote:

good sized fires.

True. But still some very nasty fires. I took these shots Wednesday afternoon
at about 5pm looking toward the NW from Palm Springs. The highest peak just
left of the smoke is San Gorgonio...

http://www.stargazing.com/pub/fire_0711a.jpg

http://www.stargazing.com/pub/fire_0711b.jpg

Impressive but otherwise sad to see shots....... Side note - when I was
in the YMCA (oh my, who was president then............ ?) We called Mt. San
Gorgonio "Old Blister Buster" after a "hike" up and down". Got to give them
Counselors Credit!!! They knew how to put a bunch of preteens to sleep !

Crazy Ed

Old July 13th 06, 05:37 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Shawn[_1_]

Edward Erbeck wrote:
Florian wrote:

good sized fires.

True. But still some very nasty fires. I took these shots Wednesday afternoon
at about 5pm looking toward the NW from Palm Springs. The highest peak just
left of the smoke is San Gorgonio...

http://www.stargazing.com/pub/fire_0711a.jpg

http://www.stargazing.com/pub/fire_0711b.jpg

Impressive but otherwise sad to see shots....... Side note - when I was
in the YMCA (oh my, who was president then............ ?) We called Mt. San
Gorgonio "Old Blister Buster" after a "hike" up and down". Got to give them
Counselors Credit!!! They knew how to put a bunch of preteens to sleep !

Sad? They may be out by new moon.

Shawn
Old July 13th 06, 02:23 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Rick Evans

"Starlord" wrote in message
. ..
About two weeks ago some guy was asking about place to go in S.Calif
desert for stargazing, right now I don't think anyplace south of the AV
area is safe, over 37,000ac's of land burned in one fire alone and there's
3 others burning. None up here in the AV area.

Let's trade my (Eastern, MA) incessant high humidity and rain for
your clear dry weather. We can solve two problems, your fires
and my comfort and lack of clear sky nights. ;-)

--
Hilton Evans
Lat +42° 11' 07"

Old July 13th 06, 08:47 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
AM

Rick Evans wrote:

Let's trade my (Eastern, MA) incessant high humidity and rain

Same here in VA. They could use the rain, which is just
running off and not soaking in here.

You go outside, you are either wet from it raining,
or you are wet from the instant sweat, that soaks you
within a few minutes. And this, while standing still...

And after it stops raining... and the sun comes out...
You see the *steam* rising off everything, streets,
trees car's, everything, including you...

Thank God my iron horse's AC blows air out the vents
at 32 F

--
AM

http://sctuser.home.comcast.net

CentOS 4.3 KDE 3.3
Old July 13th 06, 11:47 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Starlord

I was at Ft.Gordon GA in 66, thanks but no thinks, I'll stick to the dry
heat out here.

BTW, one of the big fires is burning westward and they are trying to stop it
before it hits the big bear area.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net
In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden
Blast Off Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/starlords
Astro Blog
http://starlord.bloggerteam.com/

"AM" wrote in message
. ..

Old July 14th 06, 02:20 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Florian[_1_]

I posted a few more photos i've been taking of the smoke plumes from the fires here...

http://www.pbase.com/fboyd/wildfire

-Florian