Feed on the blink again

Old July 7th 06, 05:57 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brian Gaff

Default Feed on the blink again

they really need to replace that hamster in the wheel on the nasa tv feed, I
think

Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.

Old July 7th 06, 06:12 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brian Gaff

Brian Gaff wrote:
they really need to replace that hamster in the wheel on the nasa tv
feed, I think

Brian

Well its back for a while at any rate

Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display nam

Old July 8th 06, 07:40 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Craig Cocca

Brian Gaff wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
they really need to replace that hamster in the wheel on the nasa tv
feed, I think

I think the outages on NASA TV may be the result of the new, all
digital system that NASA TV is using. There are now four channels
embedded in NASA's MPEG video video, which are all used for different
purposes. All of them can be made available "free to air" or in an
encrypted format.

During the outages that we've seen, I bet NASA was using NASA TV 1 (the
"standard" NASA TV feed) to dump engineering video to the other NASA
centers for analysis. By switching from free-to-air to encrypted, they
essentially cut the feed off from the general public while the
engineering video was shared out to the other NASA centers.

Now, I'm not proposing an conspiracy theories for all of you
tin-foil-hat-wearers out there. : ) Rather, I think this is just a new
capability that the folks from NASA have, that the carriers who
simulcast NTV online and via DBS were not prepared for, which has led
to the service interruptions we've seen.

Old July 11th 06, 02:53 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
cole smith

"Craig Cocca" wrote in message
oups.com...

Brian Gaff wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
[...]

The service interruptions (at least on launch day) were due to thunderstorms
in the DC area where the DBS is uplinked. NASA doesn't use the MPEG video
channels to dump engineering video because the video quality is not good
enough. Most engineering video is uplinked on AMC transponder 5 because
the analog bandwidth is higher compared to the low digital bandwidth on the
multiplexed DBS channels. As I have pointed out in earlier posts, NASA has
not effectively used these 4 MPEG channels on this mission, choosing instead
to show the same programming on all four.

Nasa tv audio feed on the blink Brian Gaff Space Shuttle 6 July 6th 06 02:37 PM
Nasa TV sound feed? Brian Gaff Space Shuttle 0 August 17th 05 06:56 PM
REMEMBER SAM Space Shuttle 6 November 8th 03 02:38 AM
Full-Disk Solar Blink Sequence Paul Hyndman Amateur Astronomy 1 October 27th 03 08:52 AM