Puppet Masters of Phoebos

Old January 25th 04, 12:08 AM
Cris Fitch

Default Puppet Masters of Phoebos

(Al Jackson) wrote...
Its been thought of.

http://www.marsinstitute.info/rd/fac.../rtr/pf19.html

Very nice. It would be nice if the study itself were to be put on-line.

I wonder what the pro's and con's are for Deimos vs. Phobos for
a base. Might want to do a better survey of both (searching for
useful elements) before deciding.

- Cris
Old January 25th 04, 06:28 PM
Hop David

Cris Fitch wrote:
(Al Jackson) wrote...

Its been thought of.

http://www.marsinstitute.info/rd/fac.../rtr/pf19.html

Very nice. It would be nice if the study itself were to be put on-line.

I wonder what the pro's and con's are for Deimos vs. Phobos for
a base. Might want to do a better survey of both (searching for
useful elements) before deciding.

- Cris

Deimos is close to Mars synchronous orbit. It'd be a good place to make
Mars synchronous satellites. Maybe with time a Mars synchronous
satellite made from Deimos materials could be expanded to a beanstalk.

A survey of Phobos and Deimos is at the top of my wish list, along with
surveys of accessible NEOs.

--
Hop David
http://clowder.net/hop/index.html

Old January 25th 04, 06:42 PM
Hop David

Cris Fitch wrote:
So you want to go to Mars. And you think our robot
friends will pave the way. But the delay to the folks
back on Earth is a little long to provide interactive
control. We also want an intermediate destination
as a prelude to putting a man on the surface and the
problems associated with getting him back out of that
gravity well.

Perhaps the solution is a small, temporary, manned out-
post on Phoebos. Their main objective: controlling
the robots on the surface that are laying the foundation
for the manned landing.

Any thoughts?

- Cris Fitch
San Diego, CA
http://www.orbit6.com/

There seem to be a growing number supporting NEO exploitation as NEOs
are more accessible (with their shallow gravity wells) and possibly have
useful resources. Some NEO advocates like Phobos and Deimos for these
same reasons. Plus the fact you can use Martian aerobraking to shed
momentum (wrt Mars) and end up in the Martian neighborhood with little
delta vee.

See for example:
http://www.spacefuture.com/archive/t..._company.shtml

Old January 26th 04, 06:58 PM
Al Jackson

(Cris Fitch) wrote in message . com...
(Al Jackson) wrote...
Its been thought of.

http://www.marsinstitute.info/rd/fac.../rtr/pf19.html

Very nice. It would be nice if the study itself were to be put on-line.

I wonder what the pro's and con's are for Deimos vs. Phobos for
a base. Might want to do a better survey of both (searching for
useful elements) before deciding.

- Cris

Fred had a followup on it he

http://www.sepp.org/NewSEPP/phDmission(2).htm
Old January 27th 04, 02:20 AM
Mike Rhino

"Mike Rhino" wrote in message
"Cardman" wrote in message
On 22 Jan 2004 09:01:46 -0800, (Cris Fitch)
wrote:

So you want to go to Mars. And you think our robot
friends will pave the way. But the delay to the folks
back on Earth is a little long to provide interactive
control. We also want an intermediate destination
as a prelude to putting a man on the surface and the
problems associated with getting him back out of that
gravity well.

Perhaps the solution is a small, temporary, manned out-
post on Phoebos. Their main objective: controlling
the robots on the surface that are laying the foundation
for the manned landing.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like a good idea, but if they can build a base on Phobos, then
they can also build a base in orbit. So the question is... What does
Phobos have that we need?

Radiation Shielding which makes an inflatable habitat more viable. Has

any
work been done on hibernation for space flights? There is full

hibernation
and there is bear type hibernation. Bears pretty much sleep through the
winter. Humans should be able to do the same thing. This would simplify
radiation shielding, because you could cram all the astronauts into a tiny
area during the flight. If they got up twice a week to go to the

bathroom,
that would be OK.

The moon's gravity is so weak, that one could extract material to be used
for radiation shielding for a space station in a similar orbit.