Shingletown SP coverage

Old June 24th 06, 02:30 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default Shingletown SP coverage

Including Pix or Uncle Bob.
http://www.redding.com/redd/features...794942,00.html

Having a blast up here. (he said from the slopes of the Mt. Lassen
volcano).

Clear Skies!
Uncle Bob

Old June 24th 06, 05:08 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Doink wrote:
How's the heat UB? I've got a couple club members there---115 tomorrow?

In Redding. About 10 deg cooler in Shingletown.

I'm down in LA .. around 80 deg. Never could stand the heat up
that way!

Phil
Old June 24th 06, 01:56 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Hi Doink!
I'm in Old Station, about 30 mi up the road (and 2000' higher) from
Shingletown. Got AC, broadband wireless, and it's cooler here,
especially at night. But down at the SSP site, the overnight viewing
conditions are wonderful. Overnight low is about 70F, which means
observing in shirtsleeves. No dew. Hardly any 'skeeters--maybe for
about 20 minutes after sunset, then they flee the bats.
There's so much snow on Mt. Lassen that the road to the summit is
closed 10 miles from the park entrance. Alas, no access to the fabled
Bumpass Hell observing site at 7,000'. Maybe next year.
It's weird. Over a hundred degrees and the road is closed by snow.
Oh, and for sound effects, there are mockingbirds singing at night.
Lovely!
Clear Skies,
Uncle Bob

Old June 24th 06, 02:58 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Uncle Bob wrote:
Hi Doink!
I'm in Old Station, about 30 mi up the road (and 2000' higher) from
Shingletown. Got AC, broadband wireless, and it's cooler here,
especially at night. But down at the SSP site, the overnight viewing
conditions are wonderful. Overnight low is about 70F, which means
observing in shirtsleeves. No dew. Hardly any 'skeeters--maybe for
about 20 minutes after sunset, then they flee the bats.

Sounds charming, the bats I mean.

There's so much snow on Mt. Lassen that the road to the summit is
closed 10 miles from the park entrance. Alas, no access to the fabled
Bumpass Hell observing site at 7,000'. Maybe next year.

Lassen does open up late. I've climbed it (and gone to Bumpass
Hell) twice in the last 5 years .. once in mid July and once in
Sept. Much cooler in Sept.

It's weird. Over a hundred degrees and the road is closed by snow.
Oh, and for sound effects, there are mockingbirds singing at night.
Lovely!

I thought about being there this year. But a couple of family
things (including a wedding soon after in Eugene) made the
logistics weird.

Phil