aborting a lunar lander

Old August 23rd 04, 04:15 PM
Jud McCranie

Default aborting a lunar lander

Several times I've heard that aborting a lunar landing would have been
the most complicated maneuver ever done in space. Did they practice a
lunar abort on Apollo 9 or 10? Go through all of the motions and drop
the decent stage, etc?

---
Replace you know what by j to email
Old August 23rd 04, 04:32 PM
Jay Windley

"Jud McCranie" wrote in message
| Did they practice a lunar abort on Apollo 9 or 10?

Yes, on Apollo 10.

--

The universe is not required to conform | Jay Windley
to the expectations of the ignorant. | webmaster @ clavius.org

Old August 23rd 04, 05:15 PM
Henry Spencer

Jud McCranie wrote:
Several times I've heard that aborting a lunar landing would have been
the most complicated maneuver ever done in space. Did they practice a
lunar abort on Apollo 9 or 10? Go through all of the motions and drop
the decent stage, etc?

Kind of, especially on Apollo 10. It lacked some of the complications,
not to mention the time pressure, that would have been found in an abort
at low altitude, mind you.
--
"Think outside the box -- the box isn't our friend." | Henry Spencer
-- George Herbert |
Old August 23rd 04, 06:28 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Jay Windley
writes

"Jud McCranie" wrote in message
.. .
| Did they practice a lunar abort on Apollo 9 or 10?

Yes, on Apollo 10.

This topic seems to be appearing frequently in various guises, and I
can't help feeling that the Apollo 10 experience showed that an abort
would probably have killed them.
They got into a spin and nearly crashed. If that had occurred in the
last few seconds of landing they would have crashed. As Henry Spencer
noted in another thread, there comes a point where they would have
simply ignored the "fuel exhausted" light (or whatever) and gone on to
land, as the safest option.
Old August 23rd 04, 06:39 PM
Jay Windley

"Jonathan Silverlight" wrote
in message ...

| They got into a spin and nearly crashed.

But that was because a guidance system switch had been set improperly, not
because the separation induced the spin.

There is always a danger aborting at low altitudes, and I'm sure the
astronauts, as seasoned test pilots, were well aware of what their options
were.

Old August 23rd 04, 06:43 PM
Jay Windley

"Bad Weather" wrote in message
| I'd like to see what would have happened if the lunar rockets
| would have failed during landing when the lander was about a mile
| up in the air

What air? :-)

Seriously, that's a more survivable abort scenario. If the descent engine
had failed for any reason, the landing would be aborted. The descent stage
is discarded and the ascent engine is fired to return them to orbit. And a
mile up you have lots of time in which to do that, and to correct any
problems that the abort manuever creates. The real danger is if the descent
engine fails with only fifty feet or so left to go.

Give any pilot a choice of getting into trouble while low and slow, or while
high and fast, and he'll take the latter.

Old August 23rd 04, 07:57 PM
Jud McCranie

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 11:43:38 -0600, "Jay Windley"
wrote:

Seriously, that's a more survivable abort scenario. If the descent engine
had failed for any reason, the landing would be aborted. The descent stage
is discarded and the ascent engine is fired to return them to orbit.

Were there situations in which they would gain some altitude with the
decent engine before dropping the descent stage?

---
Replace you know what by j to email
Old August 23rd 04, 08:41 PM
bob haller

there comes a point where they would have
simply ignored the "fuel exhausted" light (or whatever) and gone on to
land, as the safest option.

I wonder how far it could just drop unpowered and survive?
HAVE A GREAT DAY!
Old August 23rd 04, 09:14 PM
Henry Spencer

Jud McCranie wrote:
Seriously, that's a more survivable abort scenario. If the descent engine
had failed for any reason, the landing would be aborted. The descent stage
is discarded and the ascent engine is fired to return them to orbit.

Were there situations in which they would gain some altitude with the
decent engine before dropping the descent stage?

Yes; that was the procedure for a low-altitude abort, due to (e.g.) not
being able to find a suitable landing spot in time. That was the deadline
Armstrong was facing: when there's just enough fuel left to gain enough
altitude to stage safely, in theory you have to abort. (In practice, as
I've noted, if the landing was almost done there would have been great
temptation to use the abort fuel to finish the landing instead.)

If the descent-stage engine just quits, say, fifty meters up, you die.
There simply isn't enough time to get the stages separated and the ascent
stage lit, *and* cancel the downward velocity acquired while doing so,
before impact.
Old August 23rd 04, 09:24 PM
Bad Weather

I'd like to see what would have happened if the lunar rockets would have
failed during landing when the lander was about a mile up in the air

"Jud McCranie" wrote in message
Several times I've heard that aborting a lunar landing would have been
the most complicated maneuver ever done in space. Did they practice a
lunar abort on Apollo 9 or 10? Go through all of the motions and drop
the decent stage, etc?

---
Replace you know what by j to email

The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones Misc 6 July 29th 04 06:14 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge Misc 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge UK Astronomy 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla Misc 10 July 25th 04 02:57 PM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla UK Astronomy 11 July 25th 04 02:57 PM