What's that?

Old January 25th 04, 06:53 AM
Lunaray

Default What's that?

I'm not even an amateur astronomer, I'm just someone who loves to look at
the night-time sky! I live in Oregon (USA) and right now we have a thin
crescent moon and it has a companion, which planet is this?

Thanks all!
--
Ray
www.rayspace.com/gallery.html

Old January 25th 04, 07:56 AM
Lunaray

Thanks Bill, I thought that's what it was; it was beautiful :-)

Old January 25th 04, 08:43 AM
CLT

It's Venus.

Beautiful isn't it!

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?
Try the Lunar Observing Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lunar-observing/

************************************

Old January 27th 04, 02:54 PM
BenignVanilla

"Bill Nunnelee" wrote in message
news
It's Venus. Unfortunately it was cloudy here tonight, but I'm sure it was

pretty grouping.

snip

I saw that the other night. It's nights like those where I wish I knew
enough about photography to take a picture. The grouping was so perfect it
looked fake.

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old January 27th 04, 07:29 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , BenignVanilla
writes

"Bill Nunnelee" wrote in message
news
It's Venus. Unfortunately it was cloudy here tonight, but I'm sure it was

pretty grouping.

snip

I saw that the other night. It's nights like those where I wish I knew
enough about photography to take a picture. The grouping was so perfect it
looked fake.

You just point and shoot. I mean it. If you have a SLR you will have to
wait until the film is processed, but a digital camera which can take
picture with exposures of a second or so will get you instant results,
and we will look forward to seeing you on alt.binaries.pictures.astro or
www.mysky.org if you don't have access to binary groups)
--
Save the Hubble Space Telescope!
Old January 27th 04, 08:21 PM
BenignVanilla

"Jonathan Silverlight" wrote
in message ...
In message , BenignVanilla
writes

"Bill Nunnelee" wrote in message
news
It's Venus. Unfortunately it was cloudy here tonight, but I'm sure it

was
pretty grouping.

snip

I saw that the other night. It's nights like those where I wish I knew
enough about photography to take a picture. The grouping was so perfect

it
looked fake.

You just point and shoot. I mean it. If you have a SLR you will have to
wait until the film is processed, but a digital camera which can take
picture with exposures of a second or so will get you instant results,
and we will look forward to seeing you on alt.binaries.pictures.astro or
www.mysky.org if you don't have access to binary groups)

I tried with the Moon and Mars, but to get Mars, the exposure had to be
longer, which results in the moon being way over blown. I guess maybe I just
need to experiment more. Thanks for the encouragement. Maybe once this
winter storm blows over, I'll give it a try.

BV back to the ice
www.iheartmypond.com