Proof positive that all spamming should carry the death penalty...

Old March 25th 04, 06:33 PM
Pat Flannery

Blockhead wrote:

The computers on that show...recycled from Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea?
That was a weird show. Ever notice there was almost no crew? I am gonna
guess there was at least one episode where they get attacked by a giant
octopus.

In the original movie the sub got attacked by a giant octopus, the sub's
frogmen by a giant squid (which looked sorta like a prehistoric
straight-shelled nautilus) and my libido by Barbara Eden's chest.

Pat

Old March 25th 04, 06:36 PM
Pat Flannery

Chuck Stewart wrote:

Purple-haired catgtgirls on the Moon worry Pat...

BARBARA EDEN WITH PURPLE HAIR ON THE MOON WITH HER BELLY BUTTON SHOWING!!!!
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PAT

Old March 25th 04, 09:17 PM
OM

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 12:33:48 -0600, Pat Flannery
wrote:

In the original movie the sub got attacked by a giant octopus, the sub's
frogmen by a giant squid (which looked sorta like a prehistoric
straight-shelled nautilus) and my libido by Barbara Eden's chest.

....The giant octopus wound up changing the direction of the TV series.
Originally, it was planned to be sort of a "007" sub-vs-spy series as
the pilot episode laid out. However, when the ratings jumped through
the roof midway thru the first episode where a giant octopus attacked
the Seaview, ABC told Irwin Allen to scrap the spylodrama angle and
stick with subaquatic demons (*) and fantasy elements.

....Another side note is the fact that Irwin fell in love with the
"Lunar Module" concept, which explains why both "Voyage" and "Lost In
Space" had the Flying Sub and Pod, respectively. There was some talk
that had "Time Tunnel" made it to a second season, that something
similar would have been incorporated into the show, and the "Time Pod"
that was the J2 Pod recycled on "Land of the Giants" might have also
showed up if the 3rd season hadn't been canned by the sudden drop in
ratings shortly after the 2nd season started. General concensus is
that it was due to Disney showing more "blockbuster" fare on "The
Former Wonderful World Of Color", but I'd need to grab a fiche of the
Peacock network's weekly skeds for '69 before I agree to that one.
Bottom line is probably that people just got tired of what was,
without arguement, nothing more than a retread of "Lost in Space".

(*) Three Qualtoos to the first person who can ID tha particular
misidiom :-)

Old March 25th 04, 09:54 PM
OM

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 03:51:52 -0600, "Blockhead" wrote:

I was watching Time Tunnel one day in the late 70s. The episode where a
convict escapes from prison and ducks into the time tunnel. The convict was
Robert Duvall. Pretty good episode.

....The ending was pretty harsh, even for 1967. They can shift everyone
in time except for Duvall's character, who's stuck inside of a giant
beehive. He attempts to cover himself with some large discarded leaf
as you hear the sounds of the giant bees returning to the hive, and as
we fade to final credits you know he's ****ed for good.

Old March 26th 04, 07:39 PM
Blockhead

"OM"

ABC told Irwin Allen to scrap the spylodrama angle and
stick with subaquatic demons (*) and fantasy elements.

(*) Three Qualtoos to the first person who can ID tha particular
misidiom :-)

As useful as Qualtoos are, the origin of this misidiom (a word that seems to
define itself, by the way) is unknown to me.

The best part of an Irwin Allen film is the opening credits. His products
almost always failed to satisfy. Poseidon Adventure, Towering
Inferno....disaster fetish......merde cannis.

Saw one episode of Sea Hunt that was strange. Lloyd Bridges was in a death
struggle with about a 3 pound octopus. The creature managed to get away, so
Lloyd reached out and grabbed it, hauled it back in, and continued the mock
battle. Would give 3 qualtoos for that clip.

"A small number of innocent animals were annoyed during the production of
this show."

Old March 26th 04, 07:40 PM
Blockhead

"OM"
as you hear the sounds of the giant bees returning to the hive, and as
we fade to final credits you know he's ****ed for good.

That is unfortunate. He coulda been a recurring character.

Old March 26th 04, 08:05 PM
Blockhead

"OM" you know he's (screwed) for good

He got to play basically the same role 5 years later in THX 1138.

Old March 28th 04, 07:54 AM
Pat Flannery

Blockhead wrote:

Saw one episode of Sea Hunt that was strange. Lloyd Bridges was in a death
struggle with about a 3 pound octopus. The creature managed to get away, so
Lloyd reached out and grabbed it, hauled it back in, and continued the mock
battle.

My friend and I had a theory that the threat that Bridges would face in
any particular episode was directly proportional the the number of air
tanks he was wearing...1 tank = moray eel in coral crevice; 2 tanks =
hammerhead shark; 3 tanks = giant squid; 4 tanks = giant squid with
Prince Namor riding on it. :-)

Pat

Old March 29th 04, 02:34 AM
Hop David

Pat Flannery wrote:

Blockhead wrote:

Saw one episode of Sea Hunt that was strange. Lloyd Bridges was in a death
struggle with about a 3 pound octopus. The creature managed to get
away, so
Lloyd reached out and grabbed it, hauled it back in, and continued
the mock
battle.

My friend and I had a theory that the threat that Bridges would face in
any particular episode was directly proportional the the number of air
tanks he was wearing...1 tank = moray eel in coral crevice; 2 tanks =
hammerhead shark; 3 tanks = giant squid; 4 tanks = giant squid with
Prince Namor riding on it. :-)

Pat

Isn't Prince Namor from the Marvel Universe? Well I suppose if Daffy and
Donald Duck could appear together in Roger Rabbit, Namor and the Sea
Hunt characters could co-exist in a show.

--
Hop David
http://clowder.net/hop/index.html