Seeing comet swan

Old November 2nd 06, 09:34 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Bill Boyd

Default Seeing comet swan

Hi All
I live under purple skies and can't find Comet swan at all!
Two questions..
what magnitude is it?
how long will it be visible?

Thanks
Billbo

Old November 2nd 06, 10:18 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
LeAnne Parker

Bill,

Skymaps ( http://www.Skymaps.com/downloads.html ) lists the path of the
comet running from Hercules' 'waist' to under Altair in Aquila all through
the month (by Altair around the 29th). I think I read somewhere that the
comet is roughly magnitude 4 or 5. I have streetlights within 10 feet of
where we view and I was able to pick out the comet in binoculars and in my
LX90 8" manually last week. I couldn't resolve a tail on the comet but saw
a hazy glow around it. The sky maps on the site above are free to download.
I find them quite nice and rather helpful as they let you know what you can
see with the naked eye, with binos and what you need a scope to resolve.

There are a couple other threads on here at the moment dealing the locating
Swan in the sky. Check out: 'Understanding Co-ordinates' and 'Locating
Comet Swan'.

Good luck!
LeAnne

Old November 3rd 06, 10:26 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Bill Boyd

"LeAnne Parker" wrote in message
.uk...
[...]

Hi LeAnne

I understand the co-ordinates (still prefer the "turn left at Orion
approach)
However I found it last night in my 22*100 bins couldn't be bothered to pull
the scope out of the garage.
Had a quick look at the Hercules cluster M13 as well.
thanks for the help.

Bill