Hardcase for Orion Atlas mount

Old November 8th 05, 06:40 PM
canopus56

Default Hardcase for Orion Atlas mount

I have recently acquired an Orion Atlas 10" with their Atlas EQ mount.
I would appreciate any experience other owners may have a making a hard
case for the EQ mount head. I do not feel comfortable storing it in the
soft padded case. I believe it's a HD5 type mount.

Also, what supplemental accessories did you end up buying and what
modifications did you make? For example, I am considering some kind of
a lower-profile focuser.

Advice based on actual experiences would be appreciated.

- Canopus56

Old November 8th 05, 09:35 PM
Doink

The moonlight focuser is a JOY to use. www.focuser.com Easy to install
too. I'm really glad I spent the $$$ on it.

Doink

oups.com...

Old November 9th 05, 03:07 AM
Mark D

Howdy Doink,
Probably the easiest, and least expensive way to go for a case, would be
to scour Wally World, or places like Home Depot, for a Lightweight
strong Plastic Case.

It can be as simple as a Rubbermaid, or Contico brand Case, and then
just foam line the case yourself. Even an old Quilt Blanket will do if
Foam is not available in your area. (Lots of times, Army-Navy Surplus
stores carry inexpensive Upholstery type foam)

Take some measurements of your mount head so you'll know basically what
to look for.
Some you may find even have wheels, lockable latches, hinges and
telescoping handles. Most are no more than $30-$35 tops.

The other option might be the Thrift Shops in your area?

Years ago, I was able to find suitable Rubbermaid Style Cases to
Transport/Store a Losmandy HGM-200 Mount. If memory serves me corretly,
I believe the total investment was under $80. While the cases certainly
weren't up to ATA Standards, they did a suitable job of protecting the
mount for Vehicle Transport, and keeping it clean. Hope this helps,
Mark

Old November 10th 05, 06:35 PM
canopus56

canopus56 wrote:
snip I would appreciate any experience other owners may have a
making a hard
case for the [Orion Atlas HD5-type] EQ mount head. I do not feel comfortable
storing it in the soft padded case.

Thanks for all the tips. The solution I adopted was a "Meade #50 large
accessory case" The Meade #50 foam lined case is now a close-out
no-longer manufactured item that costs $50-$60. The specs and my tape
measure said that the Atlas 10 mount should not fit into the inside
dimensions of the case listed on many websites. The outside dimensions
are 9" x 16" x 20". When some of the foam is removed, the Altas 10
just fits inside with acceptable padding on 4 of 6 sides. The weight
of the mount is too much for the latches, and I am working on a
re-enforced center latch. - Canopus56