Mars Polar landers

Old January 28th 04, 12:24 AM

Default Mars Polar landers

I have a question that some may think is stupid, but how do the
landers know if they are rightside up when they stop bouncing and
rolling? And if they aren't, how do they get that way? I guess what
i'm asking is how do they know if their right side up after all of
that?

Thanks
Old January 28th 04, 01:23 AM
dave conz

dave conz wrote:

wrote:

I have a question that some may think is stupid, but how do the
landers know if they are rightside up when they stop bouncing and
rolling? And if they aren't, how do they get that way? I guess what
i'm asking is how do they know if their right side up after all of
that?

Thanks

He
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/missi...dl_lander.html

-dave

-------------------
http://www.mediacollege.com - Free video & electronic media resources

Actually, on closer inspection that page shows some good diagrams but
doesn't explain how it ends up the right way particularly well.
Basically there are four ways the lander can land - either the right way
up or with one of the three petals facing down. I believe Spirit landed
the right way up so nothing had to be done (but I stand to be
corrected). Opportunity landed with one of the petals facing down. Look
at the diagram and imagine the lander folded up with the red petal
facing down. Now the lander just opens itself up. The rover platform
flips over and the rover is the right way up. Likewise, the same thing
would happen whichever petal was facing down - once the lander opens the
platform will always be in the middle.

-dave

-------------------
http://www.mediacollege.com - Free video & electronic media resources

Old January 28th 04, 01:52 AM
Starlord

1st of all, the two landers are no where near Mars polar area, the one that was
suppost to go there about two years ago crashed.

As for the bouncing ball ones, it's easy, to start off with, the bottom of the
probe ship weights more, so it would most likly stop rolling on the heaver side.
2nd if it did say stop on a side, the flat plates area where made strong enoung
to go ahead and push it rightside up anyway.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Ad World
http://adworld.netfirms.com

wrote in message
I have a question that some may think is stupid, but how do the
landers know if they are rightside up when they stop bouncing and
rolling? And if they aren't, how do they get that way? I guess what
i'm asking is how do they know if their right side up after all of
that?

Thanks

---

Old January 30th 04, 05:33 PM
O'Ryan Wells

wrote in message
I have a question that some may think is stupid, but how do the
landers know if they are rightside up when they stop bouncing and
rolling? And if they aren't, how do they get that way? I guess what
i'm asking is how do they know if their right side up after all of
that?

Thanks

---

cf: Flippers and self-righting mechanisms - Robotwars, UK TV programme for
robotheads.

O'Ryan Wells.

---

Old January 30th 04, 08:15 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Its lots easier to land relative to Mars spin,and at its equator you get
its most spin speed. The poles the relative motion of the lander would
be much faster than the poles spin. That would be much to complecated
for NASA Rube Goldberg engineers. They are safer having landers land
near the Mars equator. They will land at the Mars equator for the next
37 years. They are not looking at the really best place to find water.
In truth they are looking to find gold. To get gold rhey just have to
make a Mar's succesfull landing. Well so far the best picture of Mars
were taken over 30 years ago,and they were closer to the equator. NASA
is not upset on the people it has wiped out,or 37 years of wasted time.
The only thing the NASA people worry about is their budget being cut.
Bert

Old January 30th 04, 09:36 PM
Kilolani

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
Its lots easier to land relative to Mars spin,and at its equator you get
its most spin speed. The poles the relative motion of the lander would
be much faster than the poles spin. That would be much to complecated
for NASA Rube Goldberg engineers. They are safer having landers land
near the Mars equator. They will land at the Mars equator for the next
37 years. They are not looking at the really best place to find water.
In truth they are looking to find gold. To get gold rhey just have to
make a Mar's succesfull landing.

okay bert,

Now you're really losing it. Just what do you think the cost would be to
bring gold back from Mars in any appreciable quantities? Obviously more than
the intrinsic value of the gold. Not to mention the fact that flooding the
market with huge new supplies of gold would lower the value of all gold. You
really need a good economics book to go along with all your "scientific"
tomes.

Old January 31st 04, 03:15 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Kilolani Please think of what I was saying. NASA gets its gold from the
goverment. A good landing will please congress,and the gold is only 850
miles away. A drop of water on Mars is worth 5 tons of gold. Bert

Old January 31st 04, 04:39 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

How deep does the color red dust on Mars go? I had a picture showing
the top surface of Mars that was scraped by a rover,and its area was
dark. Is Mars dusty surface composed mainly of iron oxide?(rusty iron)
and just an inch down we hit say a perma-frost possible made of
silicone, aluminum and carbon? I think the small
indentations made by the rovers wheels should be very interesting.
Mars looks just like the 11 ball. Could its perma-frost create a very
hard surface like the 11 ball,and that makes it easy for the dust storms
to sweep the dust into the air. Less gravity,less cohision force,and
less friction can keep fine dust in motion for a long time. Bert

Old February 1st 04, 01:53 AM
Kilolani

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
Kilolani Please think of what I was saying. NASA gets its gold from the
goverment. A good landing will please congress,and the gold is only 850
miles away. A drop of water on Mars is worth 5 tons of gold. Bert

I hate to tell you this Bert, but the U.S. Govt. went off the gold standard
in the 1930's. You need to explain when you are being metaphorical.