The Battle for Marjah: US Must Win with Both Hands Tied Behind it's Back

Old February 22nd 10, 10:54 AM posted to us.military.army,sci.space.policy,sci.military.naval
Jack Linthicum

Default Afghan Push Went Beyond Traditional Military Goals

On Feb 22, 2:57*am, "Roger Conroy"
wrote:
"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

dakotatelephone...

On 2/21/2010 8:40 AM, Andrew Swallow wrote:
Jack Linthicum wrote:
{snip}

But isn't a country, it's a variation on a fundamental image of a
religion. How do you "defeat" a religion?

Ask the Spanish Inquisition they succeeded several times.
Both in Europe and South America, including parts of the USA that
used to be Mexico.

In the case of the Aztecs and Mayans, they had some help from the
neighboring tribes that the two civilizations used to rip the beating
hearts out of and eat.

Snip--------------

I've never heard of canibalism being part of the ritual - do you have a cite
for that?

Would this do?

http://www.plu.edu/~arnoldwp/
Old February 22nd 10, 12:56 PM posted to us.military.army,sci.space.policy,sci.military.naval
William Black[_1_]

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
lephone...
On 2/21/2010 8:35 PM, Alexander wrote:

The fact that Ferdinand and Isabel didn't have him scourged pretty much
dispels that idiot rumor. Did Black start that rumor?

It would help if I knew who "Black" is or was,

Probably me.

There have certainly been suggestions made that some of Columbus's crew were
Jewish, but the man himself is something of an enigma, they're not even
sure which country he was from...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old February 22nd 10, 02:34 PM posted to us.military.army,sci.space.policy,sci.military.naval
Roger Conroy[_3_]

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
dakotatelephone...
On 2/21/2010 11:53 PM, Roger Conroy wrote:
The current Pope used to be the head of it under its modern name, The
Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith.

But the Congregation is not specifically Spanish.
Why, how did the Spanish "branch" get to have a separate identity and
notoriety?

"Cardinal Fang, hand me the Wikipedia Article, so that Mr. Conroy can be
forced to sit in The Comfy Chair and read it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Inquisition
Bring him only one cup of coffee while he reads it, so that he may know
the depth of the peril to his immortal soul."
I'm old enough that I can remember the days down at our church when they
had a list of banned books up on the wall in the entrance alcove, a last
vestige of the Inquisition.

Pat

Thank you Mr. Flannery.
If you would make that coffee strong, sweet and tall I'd be quite comfy
while placing my immortality at risk.

Old February 22nd 10, 03:46 PM posted to us.military.army,sci.space.policy,sci.military.naval
Jack Linthicum

On Feb 22, 12:40*pm, Pat Flannery wrote:
On 2/22/2010 2:54 AM, Jack Linthicum wrote:

I've never heard of canibalism being part of the ritual - do you have a cite
for that?

Would this do?

http://www.plu.edu/~arnoldwp/

I just had a great thought...we should figure out some way to have the
Taliban get a peek at where this posting thread has drifted off to, as
they may think that our troops are coming to tear their hearts out and
then dismember and eat them.
Even in Afghanistan, this approach to warfare is bound to get us a
new-found respect in the eyes of our enemies for its manliness, as will
our new combat fatigues:http://www.xispas.com/blog/images/no...pocalypto3.jpg
BTW, they recently had a cardiac surgeon do tests on a simulated human
torso using a obsidian knife to find out if the Aztec priests went
through the ribcage or under it to get the heart out fast enough to have
it still beating on removal.
The results showed that the only way to do it quick is go in under the
ribcage, cut upwards through the diaphragm, sever the veins and arteries
connected to the heart, and pull it back out under the ribcage.
He could do that in around 30 seconds.

Pat

Wow, a new Olympic event. Goes with those X-Games things that just got
on, like the four-man down hill over bumps. Maybe we could widen the
bobsled track and put two or more on at once.
Old February 22nd 10, 04:37 PM posted to us.military.army,sci.space.policy,sci.military.naval
Pat Flannery

On 2/21/2010 11:57 PM, Roger Conroy wrote:

In the case of the Aztecs and Mayans, they had some help from the
neighboring tribes that the two civilizations used to rip the beating
hearts out of and eat.

Snip--------------

I've never heard of canibalism being part of the ritual - do you have a cite
for that?

It's not talked about much even today, as it's a sensitive subject down
south of the border:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canniba...umbian_America
http://www.plu.edu/~arnoldwp/home.html
One argument that hasn't been mentioned yet in this regard is if they
are _not_ cooked and eaten, what exactly are you supposed to do with the
bodies of all the sacrificial victims so that they won't pose a disease
threat to the general populace? The numbers of sacrificial victims in
some estimates are staggering:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_s..._Aztec_culture
What really threw everyone a curve-ball was when the ancient Mayan
written language was finally (mostly) translated in the 1980's.
Up till that point they had been portrayed as peace and nature loving
natural mathematicians...but once you could actually start reading their
inscriptions, real horror stories emerged that formed a basis for a lot
of Mel Gibson's movie "Apocalypto"...which is a pretty accurate
portrayal of what Mayan society would have looked like to an outsider
who was getting dragged there for sacrifice, although I get a sick
feeling that the piles of corpses shown discarded outside the city
probably didn't just get tossed away.
The most recent cannibalism find is that it didn't just stay south of
the border, but traveled north with the people of the cliff-dwelling
Anasazi tribe http://www.archaeology.org/9709/newsbriefs/anasazi.html
Whose culture was apparently related to the Aztec/Mayan ones, although
in this case the cannibalism may have been as much about staving off
starvation as any sort of ritual feast.

Pat
Old February 22nd 10, 05:01 PM posted to us.military.army,sci.space.policy,sci.military.naval
Pat Flannery

On 2/22/2010 2:54 AM, Jack Linthicum wrote:
I've never heard of canibalism being part of the ritual - do you have a cite
for that?

Would this do?

http://www.plu.edu/~arnoldwp/

This is fun also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodle...in_Mesoamerica

Pat

Old February 22nd 10, 05:06 PM posted to us.military.army,sci.space.policy,sci.military.naval
Pat Flannery

On 2/22/2010 4:56 AM, William Black wrote:

There have certainly been suggestions made that some of Columbus's crew
were Jewish, but the man himself is something of an enigma, they're not
even sure which country he was from...

Wherever he was from, he had a highly mystical take on Christianity,
going all the way to his very involved signatu
http://www.christopher-columbus.eu/signature.htm

Pat

Old February 22nd 10, 08:08 PM posted to us.military.army,sci.space.policy,sci.military.naval
Pat Flannery

On 2/22/2010 7:46 AM, Jack Linthicum wrote:
The results showed that the only way to do it quick is go in under the
ribcage, cut upwards through the diaphragm, sever the veins and arteries
connected to the heart, and pull it back out under the ribcage.
He could do that in around 30 seconds.

Pat

Wow, a new Olympic event. Goes with those X-Games things that just got
on, like the four-man down hill over bumps. Maybe we could widen the
bobsled track and put two or more on at once.

The problem with excising the heart is that you have one hand with an
extremely sharp knife and your other hand grabbing the heart in a area
where you can't see either one of them; you mess up in there and you
can cut the hell out of the hand you are pulling on the heart with.

Bringing this back on-topic, our side just managed to kill at least 27
Afghan civilians with an errant airstrike; for their part, the bad guys
just killed 14 people with a suicide bomber, including a tribal leader:
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...039145/1/.html

Pat