Report: Dan Goldin REJECTED by Boston University

Old November 12th 03, 06:34 PM
John Halpenny

Default Report: Dan Goldin REJECTED by Boston University

Henry Spencer wrote:

In article ,
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\) wrote:
In general teacher's unions around the US are adamantly opposed to
anything that allows us to identify individual students with specific
deficiencies. Teachers fight accountability tooth and nail.

Of course from talking to my teacher friends their current issue is being
told by the district they are in, "teach to the test."
So, we may be ending up with a generation of very good test takers.

This is as opposed to... what, exactly?

While measurements can certainly be abused, and can certainly be done
poorly, refusing to even *attempt* to measure the result of a process
seldom enhances your ability to understand and control the process.

(Of course, if your agenda is precisely to prevent understanding and
control, opposition to measurement is understandable.)

When did testing go out of style in the first place? My high school, 40
years ago, used the same final exam as every place in Ontario. All exams
came from Toronto and were sent back there for marking. All the old
exams were available in a book and some teachers taught to that book,
but if you knew all those answers you had a pretty good grasp of the
subject. Why do we now have tests set by different schools which
obviously give different answers?

John Halpenny
Old November 12th 03, 08:59 PM
Chris Jones

Default Dan Goldin not *quite* REJECTED by Boston University

"Alan Erskine" writes:

Why was he rejected?

Just to be clear, he was NOT rejected, in the same way that Richard
Nixon was not impeached and removed from office. That is, he withdrew
when it was clear to absolutely everyone, even him, that he was about to
be rejected.

Much like Nixon, doing so was to his financial benefit.