Still flying at 71

Old December 29th 06, 07:44 AM posted to sci.space.history
Dale[_1_]

Default Still flying at 71

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 06:31:35 GMT, Fox2 wrote:

Pat Flannery wrote:

I didn't realize that either; obviously Ford built them mighty tough.
At least we had the C-46 and C-47 during WW II so we didn't have to
fly paratroops to Normandy in a corrugated trimotor.
I remember reading an article on how to start the Ju-52's engines;
first you prime them by spinning up the starters with the ignition
shut off. When you see gasoline running out of the exhaust pipes, then
they are ready to start. :-)

I've seen ground crews at air shows walking the props around
on B-17s too. Maybe it's standard procedure for radial engines.

I'm not sure about B-17s. I have an operating manual someplace-
I could see if it's in the starting checklist. Not sure why it would be
done by hand.

I think it was standard procedure for any hand-started engine. My
dad used to say that the pilot would call out to the prop-spinner
"switch says off" before he'd pull it through with the ignition off.
The "says off" was to emphasize that the engine still might possibly
fire, so pull the prop with caution, as though the ignition was swtiched on.

Dale

Still flying at 71 Pat Flannery History 37 March 10th 07 04:08 AM
What was all the debris flying around? Derek Lyons Space Shuttle 1 July 4th 06 08:19 PM
I Go Flying... Double-A Misc 0 June 5th 05 09:36 AM
Flying High Charleston Space Shuttle 1 February 1st 04 08:27 AM