Still flying at 71

Old December 28th 06, 10:59 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Default Still flying at 71

We were having a discussion here a while back about the aircraft with
the longest operational career; at 71 years and counting it might be the
DC-3.
Here's a description of what one's like: http://tinyurl.com/ynjxdc

Pat
Old December 28th 06, 04:33 PM posted to sci.space.history
Fox2

In article , wrote:
We were having a discussion here a while back about the aircraft with
the longest operational career; at 71 years and counting it might be the
DC-3.
Here's a description of what one's like:
http://tinyurl.com/ynjxdc

Pat

JU-52?

I've flown in this one in the 1976-1977 when it was being kept in Gainesville
FL by Martin Caidin. He had it repainted w/ the WWII German colors &
markings at the time.

Lufthansa has it now and still offers passengers the choice of flying in it
for short hops.

http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/cont.../trimotor.html

I've heard that there are 1 or 2 Ford Tri-motors still flying in Brazil, but
can't find anything on that.

Fox2

Old December 28th 06, 05:21 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

You don't have to go all the way to South America to get a ride in a
Tri-motor - try the Mid-west US:

http://www.airventuremuseum.org/fordtrimotor/

Their website shows their Tri-motor as having flying status. Below is a
link to a story about getting a ride in it from 2005:

http://www.airventuremuseum.org/news...ugust%2027.asp

EAA Ford Tri-Motor Midwest Tour Resumes August 27

August 10, 2005 - EAA is again touring its rare 1927 Ford Tri-Motor
passenger airliner late this summer, offering a one-of-a-kind flight
experience to the public in selected cities throughout the Midwest. The
Tri-Motor "mini-tour" runs August 27-September 18, with five stops in
Indiana, Missouri, Oklahoma and Illinois.

---------------------

Old December 28th 06, 05:48 PM posted to sci.space.history
Fox2

That 1927 plane pre-dates the Junkers by 9 years. I wonder if it is as noisy
inside as that JU-52 was.

Fox2

In article . com,
wrote:
You don't have to go all the way to South America to get a ride in a
Tri-motor - try the Mid-west US:

http://www.airventuremuseum.org/fordtrimotor/

Their website shows their Tri-motor as having flying status. Below is a
link to a story about getting a ride in it from 2005:

http://www.airventuremuseum.org/news...-%20EAA%20Ford
%20Tri-Motor%20Midwest%20Tour%20Resumes%20August%2027.asp

Old December 28th 06, 06:04 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Fox2 wrote:

JU-52?

I've flown in this one in the 1976-1977 when it was being kept in Gainesville
FL by Martin Caidin. He had it repainted w/ the WWII German colors &
markings at the time.

Lufthansa has it now and still offers passengers the choice of flying in it
for short hops.

http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/cont.../trimotor.html

I've heard that there are 1 or 2 Ford Tri-motors still flying in Brazil, but
can't find anything on that.

The Ford would have them all beat if it's still flying; but I'd hate to
think where you'd get replacement parts for it. :-)
This says there still some flown at airshows:
http://www.fordtrimotor.org/where.php?p=n6
This is an actual non-photoshoped photo from the 2005 Oshkosh airshow:
http://www.trimotors.awiggins.com/im...tri-motors.jpg
That's from this page: http://www.trimotors.awiggins.com/fordlist.htm
Of course if someone's got a Curtiss Jenny still flying...

Pat
Old December 28th 06, 06:22 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Fox2 wrote:

That 1927 plane pre-dates the Junkers by 9 years. I wonder if it is as noisy
inside as that JU-52 was.

Junkers claimed the corrugated wing didn't add drag; after hearing this once too often somebody stuck a corrugated wing section into a wind tunnel to see what would happen; the corrugated wing had around 40% more drag than a smooth wing.
Eric Brown compared starting the Ju-52's engines to trying to play a Wurlitzer organ; he was astounded that such a simple aircraft could such a confused and complicated cockpit. :-)

Pat

Old December 28th 06, 08:39 PM posted to sci.space.history
Fox2

In article , wrote:

Fox2 wrote:

[...]

Nice set of pics there. I didn't know there were that many still flying.

Fox2
Old December 29th 06, 12:35 AM posted to sci.space.history
Terrell Miller

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

This is an actual non-photoshoped photo from the 2005 Oshkosh airshow:
http://www.trimotors.awiggins.com/im...tri-motors.jpg

you sure that's not a CGI from the next Indiana Jones movie? g

--
Terrell Miller

"Just...take...the...****ing...flower...darlin g"
Terrell's dating style according to OKCupid.com

What was all the debris flying around? Derek Lyons Space Shuttle 1 July 4th 06 08:19 PM
I Go Flying... Double-A Misc 0 June 5th 05 09:36 AM
Flying High Charleston Space Shuttle 1 February 1st 04 08:27 AM