Cherry Springs Star Party

Old May 4th 07, 03:13 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
George Normandin[_1_]

Default Cherry Springs Star Party

Cherry Springs Star Party in PA, starting May 17th.

There's not much info "out there" on this one. Does anyone know if it's
happening? Anyone going?

My friend Art and I currently plan on being there with my Obsession 20, plus
PST, and DSLR on a EQ-1 for some wide-field imaging. This is our first trip
to the park and if it works out I'll bring my RC10/MI-250 for some imaging
on a future expedition.

George N

Old May 4th 07, 03:58 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

George Normandin wrote:

Cherry Springs Star Party in PA, starting May 17th.

There's not much info "out there" on this one. Does anyone know if it's
happening? Anyone going?

I'm not certain what kind of info you were expecting to find, but this
page http://www.astrohbg.org/s4/index.php provides dates, a map,
on-line registration, rules, a link to other sites on star-party
etiquette, a list of sponsors, &c.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old May 8th 07, 06:13 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Dave Mitsky

On May 3, 10:13 pm, "George Normandin"
wrote:
Cherry Springs Star Party in PA, starting May 17th.

There's not much info "out there" on this one. Does anyone know if it's
happening? Anyone going?

My friend Art and I currently plan on being there with my Obsession 20, plus
PST, and DSLR on a EQ-1 for some wide-field imaging. This is our first trip
to the park and if it works out I'll bring my RC10/MI-250 for some imaging
on a future expedition.

George N

There have been some problems with updating the star party section of
the ASH web site but there are indeed a number of fine speakers and
door prizes in store.

Here's the schedule of speakers:

Friday

1:00 p.m. - Dr. Peter Allen (Penn State) - The Smallest Stars: Their
Role in the Universe

3:00 p.m. - T.J. Koller (ASH Stardust Newsletter Editor and The
Secretary of the Astronomical Society of Harrisburg) - The Night Sky
for the Cherry Springs Star Party

4:00 p.m. - T.J. Koller - The Hubble Space Telescope

7:00 p.m. - Alan Chen ( http://www.heavenlyview.com ) - Imaging with a
One-shot Color Camera

Saturday

1:00 p.m. - Dr. Al Lamperti (Temple University and The Delaware
Valley Amateur Astronomers) - A 3D Tour of the Universe Beyond the
Solar System

2:30 p.m. - Karl Krassley (The Pennsylvania Outdoor Lighting Council
and The Chesmont Astronomical Society) - Light Pollution Is Hiding My
Galaxies

4:00 p.m. - Chip Harrison (Cherry Springs State Park Park Manager) -
Cherry Springs Dark Skies (A PowerPoint update on what's new at the
park for 2007 and where the future is going to take us.)

6:00 p.m. - Rob Teeter ( http://www.teeterstelescopes.com/ ) -
Building the Perfect Telescope

Old May 9th 07, 03:29 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Dave Mitsky

On May 3, 10:13 pm, "George Normandin"
wrote:

Edit

FYI: Alan Chen's talk on astroimaging is going to be advanced to 6:30
p.m. on Friday.

Dave Mitsky

Old May 9th 07, 03:34 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Dave Mitsky

6:30 p.m. - Alan Chen ( http://www.heavenlyview.com ) - Imaging with
One-shot Color Camera

Saturday

1:00 p.m. - Dr. Al Lamperti (Temple University and the Delaware
Valley Amateur Astronomers) - A 3D Tour of the Universe Beyond the
Solar System

2:30 p.m. - Karl Krasley (the Pennsylvania Outdoor Lighting Council

Old May 10th 07, 03:05 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
George Normandin

"Dave Mitsky" wrote
wrote:
Cherry Springs Star Party in PA, starting May 17th.

There's not much info "out there" on this one. Does anyone know if it's
happening? Anyone going?

There have been some problems with updating the star party section of
the ASH web site but there are indeed a number of fine speakers and
door prizes in store............

Thanks Dave! I got an e-mail from your "registration person" confirming
that I've been registered for CSSP. Now I just need to remember to bring my
eyepieces!

George N

Old May 10th 07, 09:06 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Dave Mitsky

On May 3, 10:13 pm, "George Normandin"
wrote:

Edit

Vendors who will be present at the Cherry Springs Star Party or who
have contributed door prizes are listed at http://www.astrohbg.org/s4/s4_vendors.php

Dave Mitsky

Old May 10th 07, 07:50 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Dave Mitsky

On May 3, 10:13 pm, "George Normandin"
wrote:

Edit

Information on the CSSP door prizes has been posted at
http://www.astrohbg.org/s4/s4_doorprizes.php

Dave Mitsky

Old May 14th 07, 07:54 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Dave Mitsky

On May 3, 10:13 pm, "George Normandin"
wrote:

Edit

Saturday night was superb at Cherry Springs State Park. The clouds
were gone by shortly after 11:00 p.m. and the relatively few observers
present at the park were treated to a truly excellent night of deep-
sky observing. I had great views of many springtime galaxies and other
deep-sky objects through my "new" 8" Starsplitter Tube Dob, Tony
Donangelo's 14.5" Starmaster Sky Tracker Dob, a 16" Teeter Telescope
Dob, the 16" AstroSystems TeleKit Dob owned by John Mills, and the 20"
Starmaster Sky Tracker Dob belonging to Gary Honis.

I haven't transcribed my taped notes yet but some of the more
memorable highlights included seeing at least 9 galaxies
simultaneously in the heart of the Virgo Cluster - the environs of M84
and M86 - through the 20" with a 31mm Tele Vue Nagler T5, a near
photographic view of M51 and NGC 5195 through the 16" as well as a
spectacular view of the Leo Trio using a 28mm W.O. UWAN, and observing
an old favorite, NGC 4762 (the Mini-M104 Galaxy), through the 14.5".
When I trained my 8" on M104, it looked better than I've ever seen it
through such a small aperture. The 8" also provided a fine view of
NGC 7000 (the North America Nebula) with the help of an Orion
UltraBlock filter and a 35mm Tele Vue Panoptic.

Let's hope that Potter County skies will be equally as good for the
ASH Cherry Springs Star Party this coming weekend.

Dave Mitsky