Who will build the moon base?

Old January 15th 04, 03:07 PM
RocketScientistForHire

Default Who will build the moon base?

What companies, organizations, and university research groups are
currently working on developing technology for supporting human
activities on the moon or Mars? Which of these do you think will be
contributing towards the new space effort?

What hardware on ISS has worked well and could be used on the moon,
and what has caused lots of trouble and will be redesigned or
replaced?

My reasons for asking are purely selfish. I used to be in aerospace,
but after a couple years at NASA working in mission control for
Station I decided the Station program and aerospace weren't for me, so
I became a teacher. But the Columbia accident caused me to do a lot
of sole searching, and about a month ago I came to the decision that I
wanted to get back into the space exploration business, specifically
researching and designing equipment for bases on the moon or Mars.
When I came to this decision I assumed that it wouldn't be a job with
any NASA program, because a month ago I thought they wouldn't be
touching that stuff for a very long time. I figured I'd try to get a
job with some university research group working on applicable
technology.

But now that it looks like NASA might actually be returning to the
moon, I might actually get to work on hardware that will fly in my
lifetime! So what companies or research groups are active in this
area? Which ones are gung ho and actually get stuff done? Of course
the aerospace giants will probably get the contracts. Which divisions
of those companies are the best?

I have an image of what it must be like to work at Skunkworks or
Scaled Composites. I imagine that when you work at those places you
don't spend time in pointless meetings, or arguing with some other
department to send you some report. Instead you spend your time
actually designing and building stuff. That is the kind of atmosphere
I want to work in, but I want to work on moon/Mars bases.

Any suggestions where I should look?

Thanks.
Old January 16th 04, 04:55 AM
Henry Spencer

In article ,
RocketScientistForHire wrote:
...I imagine that when you work at those places you
don't spend time in pointless meetings, or arguing with some other
department to send you some report. Instead you spend your time
actually designing and building stuff. That is the kind of atmosphere
I want to work in, but I want to work on moon/Mars bases.

Unfortunately, the Moon/Mars stuff is mostly going to go to the giant
companies, and you will not find that sort of atmosphere much in evidence
there. You'll find it mostly in small-to-medium companies... which are
not "qualified suppliers" for big NASA contracts, even if some of them
would actually probably be better choices than the aerospace dinosaurs.
--
MOST launched 30 June; science observations running | Henry Spencer
since Oct; first surprises seen; papers pending. |