Daily Report #5195

Old October 5th 10, 09:03 PM posted to sci.astro.hubble
Cooper, Joe

Default Daily Report #5195

HUBBLE SPACE TELESCOPE - Continuing to Collect World Class Science

DAILY REPORT #5195

PERIOD COVERED: 8:00pm October 4 - 7:59pm October 5, 2010 (DOY
277/00:00z-277/23:59z)

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.)

HSTARS:

12448 - SDF fails to properly output science data following software
change starting at 277/0143z

Observations possibly affected: WFC3 26-17, Proposal ID#12307; WFC3 8,
Proposal ID#11929; WFC3 19-20, 22-24, 30-34 Proposal ID#12215; WFC3
21, Proposal ID#12215; WFC3 9-11, 13-18 Proposal ID#12348; WFC3 4-7
Proposal ID#11905; WFC3 28-29, 32 Proposal ID#11700; WFC 1-6 Proposal
ID#11582; WFC 1, 8-14 Proposal ID#11996; WFC 15-18 Proposal ID#12209;
COS 30-35 Proposal ID#11741; STIS 3-4 Proposal ID#11845; STIS 5-7
Proposal ID#11847; STIS 1-2 Proposal ID#11849

12450 - GSAcq(1,2,1) at 277/18:04z results in fine lock back (1,0,1),
stop flag on FGS-1 at 277/1807z

Observations possibly affected: WFC3 26-27, Proposal ID#12307

COMPLETED OPS REQUEST:
18933-1 Inhibit NSSC-1 ATP pointer@277/19:08z

COMPLETED OPS NOTES: (None)

Scheduled Successful
FGS GSAcq 8 8
FGS REAcq 8 8
OBAD with Maneuver 8 8

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS:

FLASH SIC&DH ATP pointer halted

at 277/19:10 the NSSC-1 ATP was inhibited and SDF input enabled via
Ops Request 18933. This will facilitate the recovery of the remaining
science data in the SIs and interception of the reprocessed SMS.

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED:

COS/FUV 11895

FUV Detector Dark Monitor

Monitor the FUV detector dark rate by taking long science exposures
without illuminating the detector. The detector dark rate and spatial
distribution of counts will be compared to pre-launch and SMOV data in
order to verify the nominal operation of the detector. Variations of
count rate as a function of orbital position will be analyzed to find
dependence of dark rate on proximity to the SAA. Dependence of dark
rate as function of time will also be tracked.

COS/FUV 12169

The Frequency and Chemical Composition of Planetary Debris Discs
around Young White Dwarfs

Throughout the past few years, it has become increasingly clear that
the most plausible scenario to explain the metal-pollution observed in
~20% of all cool white dwarfs is accretion from rocky debris material
- suggesting that these white dwarfs may have had, or may still have
terrestial planets as well. This hypothesis is corroborated through
the infrared detection of circumstellar dust around the most heavily
polluted white dwarfs. Traditionally, the detection of metal pollution
is done in the optical using the Ca H/K lines, leading to a strong
bias against hot/young white dwarfs. Hence, most of our knowledge
about the late evolution of planetary systems is based on white dwarfs
with cooling ages 0.5Gyr. We propose an HST/COS ultraviolet
spectroscopic snapshot survey to carry out the first systematic
investigation of the fraction of metal-pollution among young
(20-100Myr) white dwarfs, probing the correlation with white dwarf
(and hence progenitor) mass, and determining the Si/H, C/H, and
potentially N/H and O/H abundance ratios of their circumstellar debris
material.

COS/FUV 12212

What are the Locations and Kinematics of Mass Outflows in AGN?

Mass outflows of ionized gas in AGN, first revealed through
blueshifted UV and X-ray absorption lines, are likely important
feedback mechanisms for the enrichment of the IGM, self-regulation of
black-hole growth, and formation of structure in the early Universe.
To understand the origin, dynamics, and impact of the outflowing
absorbers on their surroundings, we need to know their locations
(radial positions and polar angles with respect to the AGN rotation
axes) and kinematics (radial and transverse velocities). We will use
COS high-resolution spectra of 11 Seyfert 1 galaxies to derive
velocity-dependent covering factors, ionic column densities, number
densities (via metastable lines or variability), and ionization
parameters (via photoionization models) of the UV absorbers, and
thereby determine their radial locations as we have done for NGC 4151.
We will use absorption variability over time scales of up to ~20
years, to determine transverse velocities and detect changes in radial
velocities. We will use STIS G430M long-slit spectra and WFC3 [OIII]
images to resolve the kinematics of the narrow-line region (NLR) and
determine the inclinations of the AGN, to investigate the connection
between nuclear absorption and NLR emission outflows and their
dependence on polar angle.

WFC3/UV 12324

The Temperature Profiles of Quasar Accretion Disks

We can now routinely measure the size of quasar accretion disks using
gravitational microlensing of lensed quasars. At optical wavelengths
we observe a size and scaling with black hole mass roughly consistent
with thin disk theory but the sizes are larger than expected from the
observed optical fluxes. One solution would be to use a flatter
temperature profile, which we can study by measuring the wavelength
dependence of the disk size over the largest possible wavelength
baseline. Thus, to understand the size discrepancy and to probe closer
to the inner edge of the disk we need to extend our measurements to UV
wavelengths, and this can only be done with HST. For example, in the
UV we should see significant changes in the optical/UV size ratio with
black hole mass. We propose monitoring 5 lenses spanning a broad range
of black hole masses with well-sampled ground based light curves,
optical disk size measurements and known GALEX UV fluxes during Cycles
17 and 18 to expand from our current sample of two lenses. We would
obtain 5 observations of each target in each Cycle, similar to our
successful strategy for the first two targets.

Daily Report Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 December 22nd 08 06:17 PM
Daily Report #4568 Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 March 17th 08 03:44 PM
Daily Report #4567 Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 March 14th 08 01:38 PM
Daily Report [email protected] Hubble 0 October 29th 04 04:59 PM
HST Daily Report 131 George Barbehenn Hubble 0 May 11th 04 02:48 PM