Hubble: We Don't Need No Stinking Glasses

Old March 1st 05, 01:31 PM
Peter Smith

rk wrote...
Damon Hill wrote:

OM om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org

wrote
in :

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:27:42 -0600, Damon Hill
wrote:

We don't _really_ need Hubble.

..You go to Hell. You go to Hell and you *die* :-P

Eh, what's your problem? That was uncalled for, sir.

Try it again in 24 hours when you're sober and civil.

--Damon I have more respect for you than that.

For OM that is sober and civil.

Actually, sometimes OM makes Mr Hat look sober and civil

- Peter

Old March 1st 05, 02:23 PM
Jorge R. Frank

OM om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org
wrote in :

wrote:

We don't _really_ need Hubble.

..You go to Hell. You go to Hell and you *die* :-P

Eh, what's your problem? That was uncalled for, sir.

...Pat? You want to clue Damon in on this quote? :-)

Apparently he didn't.

Damon, the quote comes from South Park (Cartman? think so, but unsure).

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old March 1st 05, 06:01 PM
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:

We don't _really_ need Hubble.

..You go to Hell. You go to Hell and you *die* :-P

Eh, what's your problem? That was uncalled for, sir.

...Pat? You want to clue Damon in on this quote? :-)

It sounds familier, but I can't place it.

Pat
Old March 1st 05, 06:21 PM
Pat Flannery

Jorge R. Frank wrote:

Apparently he didn't.

Damon, the quote comes from South Park (Cartman? think so, but unsure).

That explains it- we only just got access to that channel a couple of
months ago; and I've only seen one episode of it.

Pat
Old March 1st 05, 06:59 PM
Henry Spencer

Damon Hill wrote:
We can do better, and are. Both in orbit,
and on the ground. Astronomy will not be
seriously impared by Hubble's demise.

What comparable telescopes are in orbit, or planned and funded?

As for the ground, note that every Hubble observing-time proposal has to
explain why ground-based telescopes cannot do the job.

Hubble's demise is going to put a serious crimp in some areas of
astronomy, and not all of this will be remedied by JWST -- even assuming
it flies and works, to say nothing of staying on schedule.

But an updated Hubble using that leftover
mirror and updated instruments/systems could probably be kept rather busy.

Starting a decade or so from now, the earliest time it could realistically
fly even if it were identified as a major priority now.

Hubble is dying after having served us so well;
time to put our efforts into a replacement.

Hubble remains repairable with quite minor risk, and should be kept
operating until its replacement is *operational*.
--
"Think outside the box -- the box isn't our friend." | Henry Spencer
-- George Herbert |
Old March 1st 05, 08:24 PM
OM

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 11:21:09 -0600, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Jorge R. Frank wrote:

Apparently he didn't.

Damon, the quote comes from South Park (Cartman? think so, but unsure).

....Yeah, from the first episode, for that matter. Kyle's little
brother, Ike, has been kidnapped by the Greys - yeah the ones who
buggered Whitley Strieber - and Kyle asks the still-in-the-closet Mr.
Garrisson if he can be excused from class so he could go save his
little brother from the aliens.

"Kyle, you need to ask Mr. Hat."

...."Mr. Hat", is Mr. Garrisson's hand puppet, which acts as his inner
self and a voice for said. Mr. Hat replies:

"...Let me see, Kyle. No. No! You go to Hell! You go to Hell and you
DIE!!"

....Now, if that doesn't clarify things. may the Hubble mirror hit you
on the head when it falls down :-P

That explains it- we only just got access to that channel a couple of
months ago; and I've only seen one episode of it.

....Go over to alt.binaries.multimedia.southpark and get caught up.
You've got eight seasons, son.
OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old March 1st 05, 09:00 PM
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:

That explains it- we only just got access to that channel a couple of
months ago; and I've only seen one episode of it.

...Go over to alt.binaries.multimedia.southpark and get caught up.
You've got eight seasons, son.

I've pretty much lost interest in animated series (whether what they do
on South Park counts as animation is a good question; it's certainly
minimalist animation if it's animation).

Pat

Old March 1st 05, 09:52 PM
OM

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 14:08:04 -0600, Damon Hill
wrote:

That means additional Shuttle missions beyond ISS
assembly/service, and beyond 2010. Is that really going
to happen? (My guess is that Shuttle will fly somewhat
beyond then, barring another loss of vehicle.)

....Don't be surprised if Shuttle's life is extended beyond 2010. I
figure that, following the tile goo tests on the next two flights,
someone at NASA will develop a way to fix the stuff so tile repairs
are possible. I predict an extension to 2015, just to give the CEV
teams a bit more breathing room.

JWST isn't an exact replacement of course, but unless there's
real support for Hubble and replacement(s), we're going to
have to live with some loss of coverage.

....The problem there is that the design of JWST is flawed in the fact
that it's not intended to work in the visible spectrum, which is where
the "holy ****!!!" pictures are truly born than catch the attention of
Joe Punchclock, Ethyl Soapsjunkie and Hipster Treehugger and make them
go "holy ****!!!' and for a brief time get addicted enough to know
full well you don't **** with your pusher and they should quit
bitching about their tax dollars going to NASA.

It's an imperfect world.

....And its defeatest attitudes like this which allow things like
Hubble and Skylab to fall from the sky when they're still salvageable.
Just because it's an imperfect world doesn't mean we should accept it
and allow it to **** things up. We should fight to *improve* those
perfections, especially if it flies in the face of those who prefer to
allow those imperfections to limit their lives.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old March 2nd 05, 01:28 AM
Doug...

says...

snip

I've pretty much lost interest in animated series (whether what they do
on South Park counts as animation is a good question; it's certainly
minimalist animation if it's animation).

South Park started out as *extremely* simple stop-motion animation of
paper cut-out dolls. They literally made paper cut-outs of the
characters, used pre-prepared stick-on mouths in varying positions to
animate speech, and moved them on top of a (badly) drawn background set
up in front of a camera. Move the dolls, take a frame, move the dolls,
take a frame... for eternity.

Sometime early on (I want to say in the second season) they moved the
whole thing over onto computers, but kept the animation look and style
from the original.

They even made fun of the process on the show -- they had the kids
decide to make a "Spirit of Christmas" cartoon using stop-motion
animation with paper dolls. (They ended up "making" the original pilot
for South Park, which was run in snippets as a cartoon-within-a-
cartoon.) They spent something like six hours to create the first
eleven seconds of their cartoon...

BTW, for those who don't know the series, the pilot really set the tone
for the irreverent flavor of the show. It featured a battle-to-the-
death between Jesus Christ and Santa Claus for supremacy in the Xmas
Icon business. It also introduced Kyle's signature line, one I use a
lot in my everyday life:

"This is really ****ed up, here, dude."

p.s. -- Too bad you're not interested in much contemporary animation,
Pat. I agree that a lot of what's running on Cartoon Network late at
night is awfully lame (seems to have been written by 12-year-olds), but
Family Guy is a truly innovative and funny show. The ways in which that
show takes off on 15-second tangents are masterful, and hilarious. It's
become a rather cult thing, and apparently the show (which was canceled
like three years ago) may well be going back into production this year.

--

"The problem isn't that there are so | Doug Van Dorn
many fools; it's that lightning isn't |

distributed right." -Mark Twain