Homemade dew shield - any advice?

Old July 2nd 03, 05:10 AM
Stephen Tonkin

Default Homemade dew shield - any advice?

Richard Darn wrote:
Any bright ideas?

#1. Black flocking material and staples.

#2. Use the one you have for camping, and get one of the black mats for
a dew shield.

Best,
Stephen

--
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +
Old July 2nd 03, 11:06 AM
Martin Frey

"Richard Darn" wrote:

I got some of that funnky foam but couldn't get it to stick to the surface
of a camping mat. The dew shield I'm making is a large diametre, so quite a
few sheets would be needed, hence they have to fixed in some way.

Thanks, Richard

Stick funky foam to a stiffer substrate which will spring into place?

I'm not sure what would be best - I've got some very thin plywood
which might do, or some 1mm ABS plastic sheet. Either could do it.

If you want some, email me - snip snip from address.

Cheers

Martin

--------------
Martin Frey
N 51 02 E 0 47
--------------

Old July 2nd 03, 01:54 PM
Mike Murphy

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 00:30:32 +0100, "Richard Darn"
wrote:

I'm about to rig up an homemade dew shield for my soon to arrive large SCT.
I plan on using a camping mat - nice, lightweight and water proof.

But how can I flock or at least blacken the foamy inside - which
has a waxy surface? I've tried sticking various flocking materials but the
glues won't bond. Bit worried black paint might crack and fall on the
corrector plate. Any bright ideas?

Richard, I made one and after the flock fell off, I painted the
(yellow) camping mat black using Joy blackboard paint. Surprisingly,
this took absolutely ages (days) to dry but provides a very nice matt
surface. I have been using it for some time now with no sign of
cracking but I don't flatten the mat for storage, it is permenantly
epoxied together.

I have bought a can of Plasticote matt spray paint for the next dew
shield that I have to make, but have not tested it on the foam yet (it
might melt it).

BTW, if you decide to epoxy your camping mat dew shield together, be
sure to put some polythene or cling film under it so that the glue
that manages to get through the foan structure doesn't stick the whole
thing to your work bench; There are no prizes for guessing how I know
this..

- Mike

Old July 3rd 03, 10:44 AM
Robert Geake

Simpler!

Make a fire...Chuck on somecarrier bags....Smoke the mat above the fire.
Then use paper "sealer", the stuff you use on pencil drawings to seal in the
black.

--
http://robert.thegeakes.co.uk/