Are octopuses alien? New theory argues Earth was 'seeded' byinterstellar genetic code

Old May 19th 18, 08:08 PM posted to alt.astronomy
herbert glazier

Default Are octopuses alien? New theory argues Earth was 'seeded' byinterstellar genetic code

On Saturday, May 19, 2018 at 4:00:30 AM UTC-7, Bradley K. Sperman wrote:
Octopuses are weird. This is not just because they look odd.
It’s not because they’re disturbingly smart. It’s because they
have a strange power.

The ability to edit their own bodies. This has biologists
scratching their heads.

Evolution doesn’t work that way. It’s supposed to be spurred by
genetic mutations — a change in DNA — that proves to be
beneficial to the host.

So how could a creature evolve in such a way as to allow them to
rebuild themselves?

Now a new train of thought has emerged.

They didn’t. At least, not here. Instead — it’s an advanced
biological ability that came from outer space.

THE KRAKEN WAKES

In April last year, researchers found octopuses — and some of
their cuttlefish and squid cousins — regularly edit their RNA.

This sets them apart from the rest of the animal world.

RNA, like DNA, records genetic code. But where DNA is a double-
stranded molecule, RNA consists of just one strand. Its role
within our body is to transmit genetic information to trigger
the production of proteins.

But some scientists feel RNA may have been the original DNA,
acting as the permanent storehouse of genetic code among Earth’s
earliest organisms.

When it comes to cephalopods like the common squid, researchers
have found that up to 60 percent of the RNA in its nervous
system had been edited after it was programmed by DNA. These
changes adapted its brain to shifting temperatures in it ocean
habitat.

Last year, it was discovered two species of octopus and one of
cuttlefish does the same thing — routinely.

“This shows that high levels of RNA editing ... (is) an
invention of the coleoid cephalopods,” US Marine Biological
Laboratory researcher Joshua Rosenthal said.

How this ability is triggered, or controlled, is not yet known.

“It could be something as simple as temperature changes or as
complicated as experience, a form of memory,” Rosenthal says.

But the ability to reshape physiologies on the fly has come at a
price.

Coleoids aren’t evolving much.

This could be because the drive isn’t the They’ve found
editing RNA is way to adapt to — and survive — change. So their
DNA doesn’t need to change.

“The conclusion here is that in order to maintain this
flexibility to edit RNA, the coleoids have had to give up the
ability to evolve in the surrounding regions — a lot,” Rosenthal
wrote.

PANSPERMIA THEORY

The origin of life on Earth is one of the toughest nuts for
science to crack. We know much of the chemistry involved. But
not the circumstances that brings it all together into a living
being.

There’s still a gap in our understanding large enough for gods
and other extraordinary ideas to fit within.

Such as panspermia.

It’s the idea that life here began out there — with scatterings
of organic molecules carrying their pre-programmed codes for
life across the gulf of time and space.

Evidence is lacking.

But the idea is being examined.

Now a peer-reviewed article published in the science journal
Progress in Biophysics and Molecular Biology is stirring the
origins-of-life pot.

The recent Rosetta mission to Comet 67P Churyumov-Gerasimenko
confirmed organic molecules that form the basis of sugars and
amino acids were dusted among its mounds and valleys of frozen
ice.

It’s not life.

But these materials are the building blocks of DNA.

The new report, Cause of Cambrian Explosion — Terrestrial or
Cosmic?, argues that our existence isn’t based on these
interplanetary building blocks alone.

Instead, it builds up the idea that our biochemistry has been
contaminated by influences from beyond our own planet.

The authors argue that a cloud of organic material likely rained
down upon the Earth about 500 million years ago. And that
changed everything.

ALIEN IMPACT

The Cambrian Explosion is certainly mysterious. It was a period
of time where life on Earth diversified dramatically, and
rapidly.

It’s an event which took place shortly after the emergence of
retroviruses in our environment.

It was especially dramatic for a type of mollusk called a
cephalopod. Tentacles reached out from their shells and wove
their way into enormous variety of creatures which eventually
became the octopus, cuttlefish and squid we know today.

“We believe this coincidence is not fortuitous but is consistent
with a key prediction ... whereby major extinction-
diversification evolutionary boundaries coincide with virus-
bearing cometary-bolide bombardment events,” the study’s
abstract reads.

This idea is that space-borne retroviruses eventually found
their way to the Earth’s surface before attaching themselves to
living organisms. Once there, they reprogrammed the creatures’
evolution.

“A second focus is the remarkable evolution of intelligent
complexity (Cephalopods) culminating in the emergence of the
Octopus,” the study reads.

“A third focus concerns the microorganism fossil evidence
contained within meteorites as well as the detection in the
upper atmosphere of apparent incoming life-bearing particles
from space.”

The paper argues the space-based transfer of life was likely on
a larger scale than just retroviruses. Whole sets of frozen
genetic material were cast about on the stellar winds before
splashing down in our oceans.

Here, they thawed.

“Thus the possibility that cryopreserved squid and/or octopus
eggs, arrived in icy bolides several hundred million years ago
should not be discounted,” the study reads.

Therefore, octopuses are aliens.

It’s interesting conjecture. It’s an idea that fits the
circumstances. But concrete evidence is yet to be produced. The
idea is yet to be tested.

But it’s tantalizing.

“Life may have been seeded here on Earth by life-bearing comets
as soon as conditions on Earth allowed it to flourish (about or
just before 4.1 Billion years ago); and living organisms such as
space-resistant and space-hardy bacteria, viruses, more complex
eukaryotic cells, fertilized ova and seeds have been
continuously delivered ever since to Earth so being one
important driver of further terrestrial evolution which has
resulted in considerable genetic diversity and which has led to
the emergence of mankind.”

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/...topuses-alien-
new-theory-argues-earth-was-seeded-by-interstellar-genetic-
code.html?intcmp=ob_article_footer_text&intcmp=obn etwork

Octopus is next to city rat,as being clever.I posted I had an octopus as a friend .named Moby.She was white because her tank had white sand and rocks.She loved white clams.Made her own rock cave.Could keep time.Bert
Old May 19th 18, 08:47 PM posted to alt.astronomy
hanson

"I posted I had an octopus as a friend .named Moby.
She could keep time" &see why Bert's a stupid Swine.Bert
Old May 19th 18, 09:00 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

On Saturday, May 19, 2018 at 12:08:48 PM UTC-7, Herbert Glazier wrote:
[...]

Kim just gave me some food with octopus chunks in it. You guys are spoiling my appetite!

I ate squid this morning.

Double-A

Old June 9th 18, 12:29 AM posted to alt.astronomy
herbert glazier

[...]

Moby had expensive taste.I had to have Ma.white clams flown to OIA once a month.They were alive on arrival .I eat some boiled and lots of butter.She knew 4pm was time to eat and play. Bert
Old June 9th 18, 02:44 AM posted to alt.astronomy
hanson

Swine "Herbert Glazier" wrote
"I posted I had an octopus as a friend", said Bert
who started with this Bert's initial trend, to drive all good
posters away, about which ****-Bert was not even shy.

Old June 9th 18, 10:24 PM posted to alt.astronomy
herbert glazier

On Friday, June 8, 2018 at 4:29:37 PM UTC-7, Herbert Glazier wrote:
[...]

Moby could not break open oysters and threw them out of her salt water tank..Even gave me a one finger,and mean eye look. You can not help looking into her eyes to see how clever.Bert
Old June 9th 18, 11:07 PM posted to alt.astronomy
hanson

"reber G=emc^2" wrote:
So, GYVBert how are the odds now of YOUR own bet
that you will be shot in the back of your head? Pity