"Stumpy" lives - much to the chagrin of the trolling trash...

Old April 22nd 08, 11:45 AM posted to sci.space.history
Dale Carlson

Default "Stumpy" lives - much to the chagrin of the trolling trash...

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 00:01:56 -0500, OM
wrote:
...So far, the e-mail suggestions have been:

* OMnipod
* Gimpy
* The $12k Man
* The guy whose leg is stuck up Brad Guth's ass
* StOMpy

...Any others?

Yeah, I'm kinda tired of your "kids" crap, kid.
I'm glad you have recovered, but from now
on I'll resume your moniker of "plonk"

Dale
Old April 22nd 08, 02:47 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jeff Findley

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
news:caednb3Pm9Bg5pDVnZ2dnUVZ_uudnZ2d@northdakotat elephone...
James Oberg has article out on it now:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24243569/
He doesn't mention the fact that there is supposed to be only one more
flight with the old computer system though.

It's good that there will be a computer upgrade for Soyuz. Perhaps the new
computer will be more reliable. Perhaps not if the Russians are still
assembling Soyuz craft "just in time" for the next mission as James Oberg
says in his article. It certainly seems like they could use a bit more
quality control testing once these things are assembled.

Jeff
--
A clever person solves a problem.
A wise person avoids it. -- Einstein

Old April 22nd 08, 03:37 PM posted to sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_2_]

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message
It's good that there will be a computer upgrade for Soyuz. Perhaps the

new
computer will be more reliable. Perhaps not if the Russians are still
assembling Soyuz craft "just in time" for the next mission as James Oberg
says in his article. It certainly seems like they could use a bit more
quality control testing once these things are assembled.

It's tough to do quality control when you're using JIT (Just In Time) -
that's why there's so many recalls in the auto industry.

Old April 22nd 08, 04:29 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Jeff Findley wrote:
It's good that there will be a computer upgrade for Soyuz. Perhaps the new
computer will be more reliable.

It will certainly be a lot lighter; the old one weighs around 150 pounds.

Perhaps not if the Russians are still
assembling Soyuz craft "just in time" for the next mission as James Oberg
says in his article. It certainly seems like they could use a bit more
quality control testing once these things are assembled.

The real problem? Women on board the Soyuz bring bad luck:
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...19?hub=SciTech

"Later, Perminov was asked about the presence of two women on the Soyuz,
and referred to a naval superstition that having women aboard a ship was
bad luck.
"You know in Russia, there are certain bad omens about this sort of
thing, but thank God that everything worked out successfully,'' he said.
"Of course in the future, we will work somehow to ensure that the number
of women will not surpass'' the number of men.
Challenged by a reporter, Perminov responded: "This isn't
discrimination. I'm just saying that when a majority (of the crew) is
female, sometimes certain kinds of unsanctioned behavior or something
else occurs, that's what I'm talking about.''
He did not elaborate."

And when you think about it, the root cause becomes obvious.
Ever since the launch of Gagarin, it's been traditional to stop the crew
transport bus on the way to the pad, so the cosmonauts can urinate on
the back tire, like Gagarin did.
But these women cosmonauts would find that difficult and embarrassing to
do, so back luck follows them to the launchpad, hidden in their bladders
like a Trotskyite Wrecker!
I like the part about the number of women not surpassing men in the
capsule; on a three-crew Soyuz, that means one woman only, or the
inclusion of a shemale in the crew.
We will have to check up on whether Russian superstition considers
hermaphrodites good or bad luck on a ship. :-)

Pat

Old April 23rd 08, 03:43 AM posted to sci.space.history
Doc Smartass

OM wrote in
:

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 14:02:07 -0700 (PDT), Bash
wrote:

Stumpy is perhaps not the best name but I recognize the sardonic humor
behind it.:-) Maybe the regulars should nominate a new one for OM.

...So far, the e-mail suggestions have been:

* OMnipod
* Gimpy
* The $12k Man
* The guy whose leg is stuck up Brad Guth's ass
* StOMpy

...Any others?

OMputee

MonOM

"Pull the other one, Brad!"

When you get the new leg, freak people out by having 2 left (or right)
feet!

--
Doc Smartass
Old April 23rd 08, 03:46 AM posted to sci.space.history
David Higgins

I don't get much of a chance to read s.s.h on a daily basis, but I'm
happy to see OM/OL and Mary both make an appearance here.
Old April 23rd 08, 09:43 AM posted to sci.space.history
Damien Valentine

I hear therapy is pretty rough. Best of luck.
Old April 23rd 08, 12:29 PM posted to sci.space.history
Scott Hedrick[_2_]

Hey Stumpy!

Sorry to hear of your malady. I've been gone a bit since Wildblue decided to
drop their newsgroup servers and switch to Google Groups without notice.
Took me a while to find an alternative.

Looks like I'll be passing your way in July, with the family. If I can
convince them, let's have lunch.

Old April 26th 08, 09:19 AM posted to sci.space.history
Bob the Tomato[_2_]

OM wrote:

...Just a quick update on my status for those concerned. I'm at home...

Welcome back. Now when you get busy, you can truly say that you are
busier than a one legged man at an ass-kicking contest. Glad you are
still with us. As one who needs the needle, I know what you're going
through. You will make it.

--
Bob the Tomato
Old May 3rd 08, 01:16 AM posted to sci.space.history
snidely

On Apr 20, 10:05 pm, OM wrote:

] OMBlog -http://www.io.com/~o_m/omworld [
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
] an obnoxious opinion in your day! [

Let me be the first to welcome you back!

(looks in desk for key to time machine)

hmph, hang on, I'll be there in no time.

/dps