New OM update

Old April 18th 08, 03:48 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley

Default New OM update

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
news:VN6dnchVaMa3cprVnZ2dnUVZ_t2inZ2d@northdakotat elephone...
* Again, the Diet Nazis are all ****ed at my inability to cooperate with
their accusations that my high sugar levels were due to my refusal to give
up my Dr. Pepper habits 100%. With the infection source gone for good, my
sugar hasn't been above 200 but once, and the average is ~120. The lesson
here for those with Type II Diabetes is simple: if you're really, truly
following your sugar levels and diet regimens, and taking your meds as
prescribed, and the sugars are still high, then there's something else at
fault and not you're just being a "fat turd with diabetes who's too
lazy/stupid to follow orders" like most of these hippie health food freaks
would love to claim you as.

My mom had a similar experience recently. She was feeling pretty bad and
her blood sugar kept testing high even though she was taking her meds and
her diet wasn't any different than usual. Her blood pressure was also high
despite her meds.

The doctor finally decided to test her balance, since she has some
pre-existing inner ear condition, and she pretty much failed that. So they
gave her meds for that condition and over the next couple of days, the blood
sugar and blood pressure went back to normal.

So when other things go wrong in your body, it can impact blood sugar and
blood pressure.

Keep fighting the good fight OM. You ought to know your body better than
anyone else, right?

Jeff
--
A clever person solves a problem.
A wise person avoids it. -- Einstein

Old April 18th 08, 03:55 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Ian Parker wrote:
On 18 Apr, 08:33, "Alan Erskine" wrote:

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

news:GdudnRcAGIUktZXVnZ2dnUVZ_t_inZ2d@northdakotat elephone...

I'll forward this to him; I still think that amphibian DNA is the key. :-)

Why; you want him to grow gills out of the stump? geeez. ;-)

No, no, it is NOT amphibin DNA, or at least not specifically. The
reason why stem cells are so valued is that they are capable of
growing into ANY tissue.

Nothing to do with stem cells - amphibians and lizards can both
regenerate lost limbs among the higher vertebrates as a normal thing
(although in the case of lizards it generally limited to lost tails that
they can sever under attack to confuse a predator).
Among arthropods and cephalopods, the crustacean's regeneration of a
lost limb (crabs and lobsters in particular) is the normal method of
dealing with a limb's loss, due the the frequent shedding of skin
allowing a new limb in to be generated internally before the next skin
shedding. (spiders can also do this to a lesser degree, although the new
leg generally ends up shorter than the rest) In regards to the octopus,
a new tentacle starts growing immediately when one is lost, but seldom
grows as large as the others by the end of the creature's life.

The real question in biology is not so much
"Why can amphibians do it, but not us?" but "how do stem cells become
muscle, brain etc etc?". The DNA is all there, some parts of it get
switched off when the embryo differentiates to use the technical term.
Researchers are trying to answer this very question, hence the
tremendous interest in stem cells.

Thank God for small favors! Just like the Microsoft "Windows" program,
most of our DNA is devoted to telling the minority part of our DNA what
_not_ to do, so we don't end up with attributes of our ancestors going
back to the Permian age of mammal-like reptiles and notochord sea
creatures hundreds of millions of years before that.
Let all that crap run free and we lay eggs like a platypus, and have
prehensile tails like a spider monkey.

I have BTW very little sympathy with the religious objectors. I feel
it should be pointed out that the Catholic Church has only had the
theology of "life beginning at the moment of conception" comparatively
recentlt (late 19th century). Througout the Middle Ages it was 14 days
(differentiation in effect). Islam in point of fact comes down to what
is (in effect) the medieval position.

http://www.lawandreligion.com/new_devs/RJLR_ND_56.pdf
http://www.islam101.com/science/stemCells.htm

This seems fairly sensible to me. The Catholic heirarchy have to me
way of thinking never made any logical claims for their position.

I've always considered something around a inch long that has gill slits
and a tail on it more of a small tadpole than a person... but having
come very close indeed to being legally aborted a few months before
birth, I have kept an open mind on the matter.
Non-existence versus existence in this world is a lot like considering
the lesser of two evils, and frankly at times the non-existence
alternative looks a lot less intrusive on Earth's ecology and more
theologically sound overall. ;-)
But what can one say?
No matter where you're born...there you are.

Buckaroo Flanzie

Old April 18th 08, 04:20 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:55:42 -0500, in a place far, far away, Pat
Flannery made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

Non-existence versus existence in this world is a lot like considering
the lesser of two evils, and frankly at times the non-existence
alternative looks a lot less intrusive on Earth's ecology and more
theologically sound overall. ;-)

By what theology? And when did "earth's ecology" (whatever that
means...) become the highest value?
Old April 18th 08, 06:49 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Joseph Nebus

Pat Flannery writes:

Latest from OM, who apparently has become a television-watching dope
fiend, with a morphine monkey on his back.
It's only one small step to black tar heroin now.
Can you imagine him during withdrawal? You'd need some sort of a tiger
cage to keep him in. :-)

Well, it's still good to have him healthy and reasonably whole,
since I'm fairly sure that I've lost his receipt and the store probably
won't take him back for an exchange after all this use.

--
Joseph Nebus
Old April 18th 08, 06:51 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Ian Parker

On 18 Apr, 15:55, Pat Flannery wrote:
Ian Parker wrote:
[...]

All bodily cells have a complete set of DNA. This is true both of
mammals and amphibians. With a full set of DNA you can, at least in
principle, regenerate by removing inhibitors. Undifferentiated stem
cells have full potental. A new limb can (in principle at least) be
grown either from stem cells, or from previously existant
differentiated cells with the "stop" instructions removed.

The thing for Science to work out is how does differentiation occur,
and what is used to control tissue once differentiation has occured.
This is one of the central, if not the central problems in biology. We
can ask yet another question "Why do we get Cancer?" Because of a
failure in the regulatory mechanism of cells. You can see how
important it is.

The real question in biology is not so much
"Why can amphibians do it, but not us?" but "how do stem cells become
muscle, brain etc etc?". The DNA is all there, some parts of it get
switched off when the embryo differentiates to use the technical term.
Researchers are trying to answer this very question, hence the
tremendous interest in stem cells.

Thank God for small favors! *Just like the Microsoft "Windows" program,
most of our DNA is devoted to telling the minority part of our DNA what
_not_ to do, so we don't end up with attributes of our ancestors going
back to the Permian age of mammal-like reptiles and notochord sea
creatures hundreds of millions of years before that.
Let all that crap run free and we lay eggs like a platypus, and have
prehensile tails like a spider monkey.

This is not the right model to have. Our DNA has EVOLVED to produce
us. This was something different in Permian times but it has nothing
to do with inhibitors. It is to do with the fact that our DNA has
changed. Incidentally lets look at what the size of the humkan genome
is. 750MB. This is a lot smaller than Windows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_genome

Everything has to be fitted into this. A basis for strong AI can be
produced with 750MB.

[...]

Differentiation my friend has happenned long before the tadpole stage.

- Ian Parker
Old April 18th 08, 06:56 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Alan Erskine[_2_]

"Joseph Nebus" wrote in message
Pat Flannery writes:

Latest from OM, who apparently has become a television-watching dope
fiend, with a morphine monkey on his back.
It's only one small step to black tar heroin now.
Can you imagine him during withdrawal? You'd need some sort of a tiger
cage to keep him in. :-)

Well, it's still good to have him healthy and reasonably whole,
since I'm fairly sure that I've lost his receipt and the store probably
won't take him back for an exchange after all this use.

No receipt means the company would probably deny even selling such a
defective model. ;-)

Old April 18th 08, 06:59 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Alan Erskine[_2_]

Originally posted by Jim Morris in another newsgroup in 2004:

How many news group posters does it take to change a light bulb?

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has
been changed

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and
how the light bulb could have been changed differently

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs

27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about
changing light bulbs

53 to flame the spell checkers

41 to correct spelling/grammar flames

6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ...

another 6 to condemn those 6 as anal-retentive

2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper
term is "lamp"

15 know-it-alls who claim *they* were in the industry, and
that "light bulb" is perfectly correct

156 to email the participant's ISPs complaining that they are
in violation of their "acceptable use policy"

109 to post that this group is not about light bulbs and to
please take this discussion to a lightbulb group

203 to demand that cross posting to hardware forum, off-topic
forum, and lightbulb group about changing light bulbs be
stopped

111 to defend the posting to this group saying that we all use
light bulbs and therefore the posts *are* relevant to this group

306 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is
superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of
light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are
faulty

27 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light
bulbs

14 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then
post the corrected URL's

3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are
relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to
this group

33 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety
including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"

12 to post to the group that they will no longer post because
they cannot handle the light bulb controversy

19 to quote the "Me too's" to say "Me three"

4 to suggest that posters request the light bulb FAQ

44 to ask what is a "FAQ"

4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

143 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting
questions about light bulbs"

1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from
now and start it all over again....

Old April 18th 08, 08:50 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Sam Seiber

Pat Flannery wrote:

(*) Yes, it's true! The lurkers *do* support me in e-mail!

OM"

Wow, I had forgotten about that term. Nice blast from the past.

Sam
Old April 18th 08, 10:31 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Bash

(*) Yes, it's true! The lurkers *do* support me in e-mail!

OM"

In B5 or here on earth? ;-)
Old April 19th 08, 01:42 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Rhonda Lea Kirk[_3_]

http://www.vhemt.org/

--
Rhonda Lea Kirk

Never attribute to malice that which can be
adequately explained by stupidity...

....but keep your eyes open. Robert A. Heinlein