CG5 Legs

Old July 5th 03, 12:39 PM
Andrew

Default CG5 Legs

Hi chaps,

Anyone know/recommend a replacement tripod or legs for use with a CG5?
Prefereably UK based.

Best,
--
Andrew Gillen

Old July 5th 03, 05:42 PM
Chris Marriott

"Andrew" wrote in message
Hi chaps,

Anyone know/recommend a replacement tripod or legs for use with a CG5?
Prefereably UK based.

Hi Andrew,

The CG5 is a clone of Vixen's GP mount, isn't it? Vixen make a number of
excellent tripods - might be worthwhile contacting Orion Optics (Vixen's UK
dealer) and see what they have to offer.

Regards,

Chris

Old July 5th 03, 09:13 PM
Stephen Tonkin

Andrew wrote:
[...]
Anyone know/recommend a replacement tripod or legs for use with a CG5?

Surveyor's tripod (from, e.g. York Supplies) plus adapter from UA:
http://www.universalastronomics.com/

Best,
Stephen

--
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +

Old July 6th 03, 01:32 PM
Martin Frey

"Andrew" wrote:

Stephen Tonkin wrote:

Surveyor's tripod (from, e.g. York Supplies) plus adapter from UA:
http://www.universalastronomics.com/

Thanks for that. Would anyone have any experience using any of these tripods
with a large scope (in my case a Synta 6inch refractor?):

http://www.yorksurvey.co.uk/products/60tripod.htm

Any reccomendations?

Best,
Andrew Gillen.

No direct experience of these but I do have a surveyors tripod (ex
army) Spikes that go into the ground increase stability enormously.
Only snag with mine is that the legs can spread to horizontal and I
find it very hard to achieve anything like an equilateral triangle
without spending an age adjusting and readjusting. I wish I could lock
the legs at a certain spread before I push the feet in into the
ground.

Excellent value for money compared to good hd photographic tripod (eg
Manfrotto) or purpose made astronomical tripods. two section legs mean
they are quite big when collapsed and the wonderful pointed feet need
watching when you carry it or put it in the car.

Cheers

Martin

Martin Frey
N 51 02 E 0 47