Light Pollution Lobby (saga continues)

Old July 2nd 03, 05:49 PM
David Harris

Default Light Pollution Lobby (saga continues)

Martin Frey wrote:

David Harris wrote:

(no he didn't - the noble Lord Whitty did):

Full cut-off luminaires may not be an appropriate solution. On rural roads there may be no need to light beyond the highway boundary and full cut-off lighting may be applicable, as is the
case with much of the motorway network. But in other areas full cut-off lighting may be less suitable. In suburban areas, for example, some light is typically needed adjacent to the
carriageway and footway. Many residents expect that street lighting will extend into their gardens to help them find their way to their property. A degree of lighting of surrounding areas
including building facades can also reduce the harshness of alighting scheme and contribute to the general attractiveness of an area. This has been identified as an important issue in
encouraging activity at night and reducing concerns about personnel safety and security.

These are issues that need to be considered on a case by case basis by the lighting authority so that the correct balance can be achieved. In some cases it may be possible to substitute
luminaires but it is unlikely to be the general case. Particular concerns about light spill should be referred to the relevant local authority engineers who may be able to make changes to
mitigate the problem.

Lord Whitty
========

What is it about suburbanites that they can't find their own houses from their own gardens and need the council to light every last step to their doors? Should we be subsidising boy scouts
to turn the key for them and help them out of their wet clothes once they decide where they live? If many want the whole area awash with light - are we to abandon the many who do not? Given
conflicting matters of taste or preference - shouldn't tax-paying authorities have some regard to cost and conservation? Just because a majority want something does not mean they must have
it or there would be no taxes and Macdonalds would be free. Get a grip, Whitty. Are there no other ways of lighting than harsh? As for security, it is time thinking changed from a odel that
apperas to be long past sell-by. Didn't crime against person and property actually rise at much the same rate as light pollution over the last 10 and 25 years? Grrr!!!!! Cheers Martin Frey
N 51 02 E 0 47
--------------

well Martin, you have his email addy..... you go stick it to him !!

and in case any missed it :
Lord Whitty at :

Old July 2nd 03, 07:48 PM
Martin Frey

"Trev" wrote:

I sent out an email to Alan Clarke (My MP) and got a reply saying that he
was three weeks behind and that it would tak that long to reply. I still
have not herd anything for over 6 weeks now.

Trev

Isn't he dead? I seem to remember reading his diary and he definitely
wrote that he was dead. Got replaced by Portillo.

Alright - I own up - there's another one, with and without an e
there's about a dozen. Seems that every Autumn they put the Clark(e)s
back.

Cheers

Martin

Martin Frey