Deke's hand motion when A11 lands

Old September 2nd 12, 05:25 AM posted to sci.space.history
Jan Philips

Default Deke's hand motion when A11 lands

In "In the shadow of the Moon", there is film of Mission Control at
the time Apollo 11 lands. Deke is on the left, then Charlie Duke, the
Lovell, the (I think) Haize. At one point Deke is holding his hand
level and motions up and down twice. What is that gesture for? To
indicate that they have landed? Too tell people to hold down the
noise? Something else?
Old September 2nd 12, 04:25 PM posted to sci.space.history
GordonD

"Jan Philips" wrote in message
In "In the shadow of the Moon", there is film of Mission Control at
the time Apollo 11 lands. Deke is on the left, then Charlie Duke, the
Lovell, the (I think) Haize. At one point Deke is holding his hand
level and motions up and down twice. What is that gesture for? To
indicate that they have landed? Too tell people to hold down the
noise? Something else?

I always assumed it was to hold down the noise.
--
Gordon Davie
Edinburgh, Scotland

"Slipped the surly bonds of Earth...to touch the face of God."

Old September 4th 12, 03:41 AM posted to sci.space.history
Jan Philips

On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 16:25:11 +0100, "GordonD"
wrote:

I always assumed it was to hold down the noise.

Yes, I suppose that everyone should know that they were down by
watching their consoles and listening.