ASTRO: 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko in Leo Trio

Old April 19th 16, 08:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko in Leo Trio

I finally managed to get my usenet account going again after my girlfriend
had destroyed my Windows installation (well, that's my theory ;-)

In the days around April 7 comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko of Rosetta/Philae
fame crossed through the Leo Trio. The comet was quite faint at that time,
not a good target for city skies. I used my new ASI 174MC cool camera
because imaging comets in colour with a b/w camera is a bit of a hassle. I
have sold the ASI today btw. as I have ordered an ASI 1600 for use with my
RASA scope.
A satellite gives another layer of distance together with the comet and the
galaxies.

Taken from Berlin with a Celestron RASA on an AZ-EQ6 mount, ASI 174 MC cool
camera, 126x1 minutes.

First a colour image and, in case nobody finds the comet there, a contrast
enhanced and inverted b/w version.

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LeoTrio67P-126x60sgut_2.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	580.0 KB
ID:	6198  Click image for larger version

Name:	LeoTrio67P-126x60sINVgut.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	951.7 KB
ID:	6199
Old April 20th 16, 08:38 AM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

Nothing but clouds here so missed this event. Though as you say doing comets with a mono camera is a processing nightmare. I hate doing it. Takes something special or I leave it Luminance only. I don't have a good scope for a field like this. I keep thinking of getting something but I have so many on the to-do list for this one it just doesn't happen.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Lilge View Post

Old April 26th 16, 09:44 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default Barnard 29 A hole in space-time?

Rick,

that's a well defined dark nebula, I'll have to put it on my list.

Stefan

"WA0CKY" schrieb im Newsbeitrag ...

Barnard 29 was described by Barnard as "Round; indefinite." It seems
quite definite in my image. It appears surrounded by a ring of brighter
material which fades away with a somewhat indefinite edge. Though I
doubt that is what Barnard was referring to. Could this brighter edge
be due to dust thickening before suddenly becoming opaque? Note some
very red stars at the very edge of this other type of "Black Hole." It
is considered a level 6 dark nebula, the highest opacity category. It
certainly is dark. While I stretched the image normally the core of the
cluster is nearly black rather than my usual 15 out of 256 levels. The
background of unresolved stars that give my background a low_light_level
is obscured by the dust creating the very black void. It really does
appear to be a hole in the sky as some early observers believed these
molecular clouds were. I couldn't find a distance for this nebula.

Rick

--
WA0CKY