46P, can't see

Old December 12th 18, 11:07 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Default 46P, can't see

Paul Schlyter:
That's one good reason to avoid buying American cars... but yes, I do
have two sets of drill bits, one metric and one in inches.

?? American-built cars have used metric measure for some years now.
You're thinking maybe of the '67 Plymouth?

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old December 12th 18, 11:57 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Martin Brown[_3_]

On 12/12/2018 17:22, Paul Schlyter wrote:
On Wed, 12 Dec 2018 06:01:14 -0800 (PST), StarDust
wrote:
Canada is metric , so as Mexico, been there , roads are in km units.

When will the US join?

They signed up for SI very early on 1866 but never quite got around to
implementing it. USGS used a metric length standard but almost no-one
else. US short measure "gallons" led to the Gimli glider incident.

Odd that they blame their weird and arcane units on the English.

BTW the comet is now quite bright and an easy binocular object about
half the size of the moon in a dark sky. It should get brighter with
each passing day and will be pretty close to the Pleiades next week.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old December 13th 18, 12:42 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Martin Brown:
BTW the comet is now quite bright and an easy binocular object about
half the size of the moon in a dark sky. It should get brighter with
each passing day and will be pretty close to the Pleiades next week.

Ah, back to business. For your viewing pleasure, 46P/Wirtanen on 10
December from Maryland, USA:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/31330206277.

Old December 13th 18, 01:12 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

On Wednesday, December 12, 2018 at 2:02:45 PM UTC-8, Davoud wrote:
Paul Schlyter:
I see. You are stuck with that outdated inefficient system of units
of feet and inches. While the rest of the world has gone metric, the
USA, Burma and Liberia prefer to stick to their outdated systems of
measurements.

Let me disabuse you of that notion. The Système international is widely
used in the USA. About the only place it is not used is in figuring the
driving distance to the supermarket. Science, industry, education, all
of the activities where the Système international is important employ
it.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm

I worked for a few companies in the last 30 years, incl. a large aerospace co. for 12 years and none were using metric system.
We used to get drawings from France, Germany in metric, all had to be converted to english measuring system.
Old December 13th 18, 01:15 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

On Wednesday, December 12, 2018 at 2:07:30 PM UTC-8, Davoud wrote:
Paul Schlyter:
That's one good reason to avoid buying American cars... but yes, I do
have two sets of drill bits, one metric and one in inches.

?? American-built cars have used metric measure for some years now.
You're thinking maybe of the '67 Plymouth?

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm

Cars from the 80's!
Last time I owned one, ever since I only owned Japanese or German cars!
Old December 13th 18, 01:16 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

On Wednesday, December 12, 2018 at 2:57:49 PM UTC-8, Martin Brown wrote:
On 12/12/2018 17:22, Paul Schlyter wrote:
On Wed, 12 Dec 2018 06:01:14 -0800 (PST),
Canada is metric , so as Mexico, been there , roads are in km units.

When will the US join?

They signed up for SI very early on 1866 but never quite got around to
implementing it. USGS used a metric length standard but almost no-one
else. US short measure "gallons" led to the Gimli glider incident.

Odd that they blame their weird and arcane units on the English.

BTW the comet is now quite bright and an easy binocular object about
half the size of the moon in a dark sky. It should get brighter with
each passing day and will be pretty close to the Pleiades next week.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

It mag 4.7 now!
https://theskylive.com/46p-info
Old December 13th 18, 03:25 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Wed, 12 Dec 2018 17:02:40 -0500, Davoud wrote:

Paul Schlyter:
I see. You are stuck with that outdated inefficient system of units
of feet and inches. While the rest of the world has gone metric, the
USA, Burma and Liberia prefer to stick to their outdated systems of
measurements.

Let me disabuse you of that notion. The Systme international is widely
used in the USA. About the only place it is not used is in figuring the
driving distance to the supermarket. Science, industry, education, all
of the activities where the Systme international is important employ
it.

Sadly, the use of SI units of mass, force, and length remains rather
uncommon in most U.S. industry. Manufacturing plans are almost always
in decimal inches. Aerospace, including much of the space program,
remains locked into non-metric units for distance, force, and mass.
And virtually all architecture and construction is still using
feet-inches-eighths. And while science texts use metric, I'm afraid
most others, including math, still use non-metric... including things
like teaspoons and quarts.
Old December 13th 18, 04:56 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

StarDust wrote:
I just asked a simple question, how big is comet?
You answered with math calculations.
I know what arc minutes and angles are, used it all my life, I use to be a Journey man machinist and later mfg. engineer.

This is not a support forum. And you cannot do astronomy without math.

And for the last time: Please trim your quotes and get a real name.

--
PointedEars

Twitter: @PointedEars2
Old December 13th 18, 05:07 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
StarDust wrote:
I just asked a simple question, how big is comet?
You answered with math calculations.
I know what arc minutes and angles are, used it all my life, I use to be a Journey man machinist and later mfg. engineer.

This is not a support forum. And you cannot do astronomy without math.

Besides, I have not only given you the way to calculate, but also
*I calculated the result for you*.

*As if* this were a support forum where you can be lazy and make demands.

--
PointedEars

Twitter: @PointedEars2
Old December 13th 18, 08:41 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

StarDust wrote:
On Wednesday, December 12, 2018 at 1:23:14 AM UTC-8, Mike Collins wrote:

On Wednesday, December 12, 2018 at 12:17:29 AM UTC-8, Paul Schlyter wrote:
On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 23:59:16 -0800 (PST),

I meant common fractions, what we use in daily life, 1/2, 1/4, 3/8
etc...
Get it?
Carpenter don't use 167/200? 1/16" is good enough to cut a 2x4!
Try to measure 167/200" with a measuring tape from Home Depot, eh?
Some how you have difficulty understanding things?

I see. You are stuck with that outdated inefficient system of units
of feet and inches. While the rest of the world has gone metric, the
USA, Burma and Liberia prefer to stick to their outdated systems of
measurements.

No, I don't want to measure 167/200 inches with a measuring tape from
Home Depot which probably only measures inches anyway. I'd much
prefer to measure 0.835 cm with a **metric** ruler, measuring tape or
other measuring device. That's what we who live in the modern part of
the world do. On metric measuring devices the subdivisions are in
powers of 10, not powers of 2, so decimal fractions are then very
handy to use.

Welcome to the world outside the USA! Yes, it does exist! For real!!!

Also England and Australia use the old system!
They even drive in the left side of the road there too! LOL!
Now days measuring tapes has both system of units, but still the inch is
the mostly used, not metric!
Progress , I guess!
If you buy an American car and like to be a weekend mechanic, you have to
buy tons of tools, in fractions units, 1/2" wrench or 1/4" drill bit or
16 oz. hammer etc...
Crazy, but more profit in selling tools!

U.K. industry is metric. Even when the Imperial system was in use the
people you call machine operators thought in “thous” - thousands or an
inch.

That's not metric!
Machinist use thousands or ten thousands of an inch all the time?
The later one is tight, thats for me - Tool maker! Mostly surface
grinding use that close tolerances, .0002"!
My analog calipers and micrometers are made in inches.
Digital measuring tools can use both systems, just press a button and
enjoy any system of the two!
Also, CN or CNC machines are the same way!
I all ways used metric, because numerical controlled machines all ways
calibrated in metric, so they more accurate 2.5x, specially in circular interpolation!

Of course it’s not metric. That’s why I wrote Imperial. It’s all metric
now. In fact it’s SI while a lot of US science, particularly in the medical
field still uses cgs units.