Free Stars?

Old September 27th 03, 05:02 AM
Whisper

"CeeBee" wrote in message
. 6.84...
"Rusty Shackleford" wrote in
alt.astronomy:

Is there such a thing as stars that are not gravitationally connected
to any galaxy but are roaming free until they fall under the influence
of a nearby galaxy in its path? I'm thinking of a star that is thrown
free of a galaxy maybe. If they exist is there a name for them? With
all the galaxies in the universe is it even possible to not be
influenced by their gravity at any point in space?

It's hihgly unlikely that such stars were formed in intergalactic space -
"outside galaxies"- but it is thought to be quite common to find stars
outside galaxies that have been swept away, mostly after collisions of two
galaxies with each other, hurling it away. Runaway stars? Extragalactic
stars?

Even the biggest structures in the universe are formed and dominated by
gravity. A weird force, which leaves nothing nowhere unaffected.

What about 'free planets'?

I recall reading somewhere that these are possible? Any thoughts?

Old September 27th 03, 09:31 AM
Gautam Majumdar

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 05:02:12 +0100, Whisper wrote:

What about 'free planets'?

I recall reading somewhere that these are possible? Any thoughts?

Yes, several were found floating around in Orion. See :
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci...000/686800.stm

If you want free globular clusters then see :
Sky & Telescope (September) 1996; 92 (3): 17

--

Gautam Majumdar

Please send e-mails to