Free Stars?

Old September 25th 03, 09:43 PM
Rusty Shackleford

Default Free Stars?

Is there such a thing as stars that are not gravitationally connected to any
galaxy but are roaming free until they fall under the influence of a nearby
galaxy in its path? I'm thinking of a star that is thrown free of a galaxy
maybe. If they exist is there a name for them? With all the galaxies in
the universe is it even possible to not be influenced by their gravity at
any point in space?

--
Rusty Shackleford

'What ever happens, happens necessarily'

Remove NOSPAM from E-mail address to reply.

Old September 26th 03, 12:49 AM
Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th

"Rusty Shackleford" wrote in
m:

Is there such a thing as stars that are not gravitationally connected
to any galaxy but are roaming free until they fall under the influence
of a nearby galaxy in its path? I'm thinking of a star that is thrown
free of a galaxy maybe.

Yes. They are thought to be fairly common. This can occur when two
galaxies interact, some stars can be ejected completely from the system.

If they exist is there a name for them?

Dunno. How about "extragalactic stars".

With
all the galaxies in the universe is it even possible to not be
influenced by their gravity at any point in space?

You can't get away from gravity at all. e,g alpha centauri is influenced
by the sun's gravity but the two are not bound to each other.

Llanzlan.

Old September 26th 03, 01:05 AM
CeeBee

"Rusty Shackleford" wrote in
alt.astronomy:

Is there such a thing as stars that are not gravitationally connected
to any galaxy but are roaming free until they fall under the influence
of a nearby galaxy in its path? I'm thinking of a star that is thrown
free of a galaxy maybe. If they exist is there a name for them? With
all the galaxies in the universe is it even possible to not be
influenced by their gravity at any point in space?

It's hihgly unlikely that such stars were formed in intergalactic space -
"outside galaxies"- but it is thought to be quite common to find stars
outside galaxies that have been swept away, mostly after collisions of two
galaxies with each other, hurling it away. Runaway stars? Extragalactic
stars?

Even the biggest structures in the universe are formed and dominated by
gravity. A weird force, which leaves nothing nowhere unaffected.

--
CeeBee

Uxbridge: "By God, sir, I've lost my leg!"
Wellington: "By God, sir, so you have!"

Google CeeBee @ www.geocities.com/ceebee_2

Old September 26th 03, 04:53 PM
Paul Neave

Here's an interesting article from BBC News:

Old September 26th 03, 04:53 PM
Paul Neave

Here's an interesting article from BBC News:

Old September 26th 03, 09:58 PM
Benoit Morrissette

On 26 Sep 2003 00:05:44 GMT, CeeBee wrote:

"Rusty Shackleford" wrote in
alt.astronomy:

Is there such a thing as stars that are not gravitationally connected
to any galaxy but are roaming free until they fall under the influence
of a nearby galaxy in its path? I'm thinking of a star that is thrown
free of a galaxy maybe.

Definitively, stars are ejected of galaxies and of globular clusters because of
close encounters with nearby stars. Simulation of globular clusters over
millions of years shows clearly that they are "boiling away" stars by stars; but
the rate is quite slow.
If they exist is there a name for them? With
all the galaxies in the universe is it even possible to not be
influenced by their gravity at any point in space?

No, it is not. Don't think about it. The gravity of your own body DOES
influence all quasars at the end of the universe...

It's hihgly unlikely that such stars were formed in intergalactic space -
"outside galaxies"- but it is thought to be quite common to find stars
outside galaxies that have been swept away, mostly after collisions of two
galaxies with each other, hurling it away. Runaway stars? Extragalactic
stars?

Runaway stars? Burnham's Celestial Handbook refers to AE Aurigæ, 53 Arietis and
Mu Columbæ as the Runaway Stars, apparently escaping away at high velocity from
the Great Nebulæ M42 in Orion. The process of expulsion is not clear yet.

Even the biggest structures in the universe are formed and dominated by
gravity. A weird force, which leaves nothing nowhere unaffected.

Good night!

Benoît Morrissette

Old September 27th 03, 05:02 AM
Whisper

"CeeBee" wrote in message
. 6.84...
"Rusty Shackleford" wrote in
alt.astronomy:

Is there such a thing as stars that are not gravitationally connected
to any galaxy but are roaming free until they fall under the influence
of a nearby galaxy in its path? I'm thinking of a star that is thrown
free of a galaxy maybe. If they exist is there a name for them? With
all the galaxies in the universe is it even possible to not be
influenced by their gravity at any point in space?

It's hihgly unlikely that such stars were formed in intergalactic space -
"outside galaxies"- but it is thought to be quite common to find stars
outside galaxies that have been swept away, mostly after collisions of two
galaxies with each other, hurling it away. Runaway stars? Extragalactic
stars?

Even the biggest structures in the universe are formed and dominated by
gravity. A weird force, which leaves nothing nowhere unaffected.

What about 'free planets'?

I recall reading somewhere that these are possible? Any thoughts?