grinding mirrors

Old September 19th 03, 07:40 PM
David Knisely

Bert posted:

They that told us glass is a liquid were people that looked at
glass that was standing on edge and its bottom had spread out.These
large glass panes were used for churches and were hundreds of years old.
I read this a few times many moons ago.

Bert, this is a stupid urban legend. The glass panes were thicker on the
bottom than on the top because THAT WAS THE WAY THEY WERE CAST!!! They did
*not* flow. For the details go to the following URL:
http://www.glassnotes.com/WindowPanes.html

--
David W. Knisely
Prairie Astronomy Club:

* July 27-Aug. 1st, 2003, Merritt Reservoir *
* http://www.NebraskaStarParty.org *

Old September 19th 03, 09:22 PM
Shneor Sherman

David Knisely wrote in message . ..
Bert posted:

Well they tell us glass is a
liquid.

Who are 'they'? Glass is a solid.
--
David W. Knisely
Prairie Astronomy Club:
http://www.prairieastronomyclub.org

* July 27-Aug. 1st, 2003, Merritt Reservoir *
* http://www.NebraskaStarParty.org *

Glass, at least some glass, may actually be a liquid that flows
very, very slowly. See:
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physic...ass/glass.html

Clear skies,
Shneor Sherman

Old September 19th 03, 09:48 PM
Starlord

I once watched a show a few years back, the show was about glass making and was
at one of the greatest art glass makers of all time. They deal in tons worth of
glass every week. The interviewer poped off the flowing glass question, while
they where watching a glass blower make a object. The lead man then said, that
if glass flowed over time, then all the high rise buildings where going to fall
down flat, after all the steel that held them together FLOWED at one time.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

---

Old September 19th 03, 10:08 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Thanks Sherman Interesting stuff. I read most of it before. However I
picked up a new word "viscoelasticity" Well David and I agree on
glass is a solid,I'm sure he will agree mercury is a solid that becomes
a liquid at room temperature. Just to aggravate there is no liquid
phase of dry ice on Mars.There is no pure ice water on Mars. Under the
Mars caps is ammonia,for that is reality Bert

Old September 19th 03, 10:33 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Starlord
writes
I once watched a show a few years back, the show was about glass making and was
at one of the greatest art glass makers of all time. They deal in tons worth of
glass every week. The interviewer poped off the flowing glass question, while
they where watching a glass blower make a object. The lead man then said, that
if glass flowed over time, then all the high rise buildings where going to fall
down flat, after all the steel that held them together FLOWED at one time.

False analogy, because steel has a well-known and complex crystal
structure when it's solid and not when it's liquid. He's right about
glass not flowing, though. It's a solid, but it's a glassy solid (!)
with no structure.
--
"Forty millions of miles it was from us, more than forty millions of miles of
void"

Old September 19th 03, 10:51 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Siar We walk on concrete. Our building are made of steel and glass. We
drive on asphalt. It costs me three times more for pills that for
food. I have to run around by house to find wood,so I can" knock wood".
My floors are nylon carpet,or ceramic. I was thinking of getting
imitation grass(does not need cutting),but I think real grass has a
county look about it. Bert