Milky Way stars move in mysterious ways

Old December 1st 10, 06:05 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Default Milky Way stars move in mysterious ways

Milky Way stars move in mysterious ways
"Rather than moving in circles around the center of the Milky Way, all
the stars in our Galaxy are travelling along different paths, moving
away from the Galactic center. This has just been evidenced by Arnaud
Siebert and Benoit Famaey, astronomers at the Strasbourg Astronomical
Observatory, and by their colleagues in other countries. This strange
behavior may be due to perturbation caused by the central bar and spiral
arms of our Galaxy, forcing stars to leave their normal circular course
and take an outward path."
http://www.physorg.com/news/2010-11-...ious-ways.html
Old December 1st 10, 07:39 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
john

On Dec 1, 12:05*pm, Yousuf Khan wrote:
Milky Way stars move in mysterious ways
"Rather than moving in circles around the center of the Milky Way, all
the stars in our Galaxy are travelling along different paths, moving
away from the Galactic center. This has just been evidenced by Arnaud
Siebert and Benoit Famaey, astronomers at the Strasbourg Astronomical
Observatory, and by their colleagues in other countries. This strange
behavior may be due to perturbation caused by the central bar and spiral
arms of our Galaxy, forcing stars to leave their normal circular course
and take an outward path."http://www.physorg.com/news/2010-11-milky-stars-mysterious-ways.html

Cool.
So as long as stars are radiating their neutrinos, they
are repelling from the black hole.

john
Old December 1st 10, 10:07 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Wed, 01 Dec 2010 13:05:49 -0500) it happened Yousuf Khan
wrote in :

Milky Way stars move in mysterious ways
"Rather than moving in circles around the center of the Milky Way, all
the stars in our Galaxy are travelling along different paths, moving
away from the Galactic center. This has just been evidenced by Arnaud
Siebert and Benoit Famaey, astronomers at the Strasbourg Astronomical
Observatory, and by their colleagues in other countries. This strange
behavior may be due to perturbation caused by the central bar and spiral
arms of our Galaxy, forcing stars to leave their normal circular course
and take an outward path."
http://www.physorg.com/news/2010-11-...ious-ways.html

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.p... 8644d2d156f2e
Many times I have said this, finally somebody actually measures
it and not just repeats idiotic stuff like a parrot.
Any kid looking at pictures of galaxies can see it is like a garden sprinkler going outwards.
Old December 2nd 10, 01:57 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
hanson

Pante wrote:
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.physics/browse_thread/thread/26608d17a0a4181f/9468644d2d156f2e?lnk=gst&q=panteltje+sprinkler#946 8644d2d156f2e
Many times I have said this, finally somebody actually
measures it and not just repeats idiotic stuff like a
parrot. Any kid looking at pictures of galaxies can see
it is like a garden sprinkler going outwards.

hanson wrote:
You have given an excellent example to show how
nature is self-similar in all of its domains and over
all orders of magnitude.
If Einstein and his **** wouldn't have steam rolled
any and all other inquiries of nature, since the ****ing
Zios used him for their agenda and brain washed the
American public, then fundamental physics may not
have remained retarded for more than a century.
Now wait for another 5-10 years and then the
paradigm may finally shift...
Thanks for the laughs Pante...ahaha... hahahahanson

Old December 2nd 10, 04:12 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Dec 1, 10:05*am, Yousuf Khan wrote:
Milky Way stars move in mysterious ways
"Rather than moving in circles around the center of the Milky Way, all
the stars in our Galaxy are travelling along different paths, moving
away from the Galactic center. This has just been evidenced by Arnaud
Siebert and Benoit Famaey, astronomers at the Strasbourg Astronomical
Observatory, and by their colleagues in other countries. This strange
behavior may be due to perturbation caused by the central bar and spiral
arms of our Galaxy, forcing stars to leave their normal circular course
and take an outward path."http://www.physorg.com/news/2010-11-milky-stars-mysterious-ways.html

Our galaxy is made of at least two or more galaxies that captured one
another, then there's also the Andromeda influence that's closing in
at 300 km/sec.

For all anyone can tell, Sirius may get with a light year on this pass
that our solar system does every 100 some odd thousand years.

~ BG
Old December 2nd 10, 06:56 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
john

*http://groups.google.com/group/sci.p...d/thread/26608....
Many times I have said this, finally somebody actually measures
it and not just repeats idiotic stuff like a parrot.
Any kid looking at pictures of galaxies can see it is like a garden sprinkler going outwards.

Well, googling new star formation and galactic center, we
find the galactic center to be a hotbed of new star formation.
Throw in stars that emit neutrinos which push against the
galactic center, then the stars would move outward from
then on, as long as they are fusing.
Just like a sprinkler.
So the galactic center is using neutrinos
to break apart neutrons, which become HEPs and are
shot out the jets. They then coalesce into suns, and
gradually fuse back together, all the while giving
off the neutrinos, and pushing away from the center.
Just like a sprinkler.
john
galaxy model for the atom
Old December 2nd 10, 12:22 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
[email protected]

On Dec 1, 10:05*am, Yousuf Khan wrote:
Milky Way stars move in mysterious ways
"Rather than moving in circles around the center of the Milky Way, all
the stars in our Galaxy are travelling along different paths, moving
away from the Galactic center. This has just been evidenced by Arnaud
Siebert and Benoit Famaey, astronomers at the Strasbourg Astronomical
Observatory, and by their colleagues in other countries. This strange
behavior may be due to perturbation caused by the central bar and spiral
arms of our Galaxy, forcing stars to leave their normal circular course
and take an outward path."http://www.physorg.com/news/2010-11-milky-stars-mysterious-ways.html

Even after reading the story I am confused.

Are they asserting that stars are supposed to move in strictly
circular orbits around the Milky Way's core, with no radial component?
The story seems to me to imply that all the stars studied have *no*
angular motion around the Milky Way's core and are solely moving
outward.

Neither extreme sounds reasonable to me; I'd expect an overall
outward spiraling motion.

The Milky Way was recently found to be a barred spiral galaxy. There
are many other barred spiral galaxies out there; what about their
stars' motion; radial only, angular only, or a mixture?

Mark L. Fergerson
Old December 2nd 10, 11:17 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Steve Willner

In article ,
Yousuf Khan writes:
Milky Way stars move in mysterious ways
"Rather than moving in circles around the center of the Milky Way, all
the stars in our Galaxy are travelling along different paths, moving
away from the Galactic center.

Good grief, yet another misleading press release. Why can't people
be bothered to look up the actual paper? The preprint is:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1011.4092
See especially Figure 4.

What the authors have actually shown is an outward perturbation of
about 10 km/s on the overall circular motion of 220 to 250 km/s.
This is seen only in a particular range of directions; there are
probably inward perturbations in other directions that have not been
observed yet (or at least I didn't see them in my very cursory glance
at the paper).

Nobody ever thought stars orbit the Milky Way center in perfect
circular orbits. This paper is very nice in that it refines our
knowledge of the Milky Way's gravity field, but the idea that it
completely changes our view of stellar motions is ludicrous.

The abstract follows:

Using a sample of 213,713 stars from the Radial Velocity Experiment
(RAVE) survey, limited to a distance of 2 kpc from the Sun and to
|z|1 kpc, we report the detection of a velocity gradient of disc
stars in the fourth quadrant, directed radially from the Galactic
centre. In the direction of the Galactic centre, we apply a simple
method independent of stellar proper motions and of Galactic
parameters to assess the existence of this gradient in the RAVE
data. This velocity gradient corresponds to |K+C| 3 km/s/kpc, where
K and C are the Oort constants measuring the local divergence and
radial shear of the velocity field, respectively. In order to
illustrate the effect, assuming a zero radial velocity of the Local
Standard of Rest we then reconstruct the two-dimensional
Galactocentric velocity maps using two different sets of proper
motions and photometric distances based either on isochrone fitting
or on K-band magnitudes, and considering two sets of values for the
Galactocentric radius of the Sun and local circular speed. Further
observational confirmation of our finding with line-of-sight
velocities of stars at low latitudes, together with further
modelling, should help constrain the non-axisymmetric components of
the Galactic potential, including the bar, the spiral arms and
possibly the ellipticity of the dark halo.

Steve Willner Phone 617-495-7123
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA
Old December 3rd 10, 07:26 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 12/2/2010 6:17 PM, Steve Willner wrote:
In ,
Yousuf writes:
Milky Way stars move in mysterious ways
"Rather than moving in circles around the center of the Milky Way, all
the stars in our Galaxy are travelling along different paths, moving
away from the Galactic center.

Good grief, yet another misleading press release. Why can't people
be bothered to look up the actual paper? The preprint is:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1011.4092
See especially Figure 4.

What the authors have actually shown is an outward perturbation of
about 10 km/s on the overall circular motion of 220 to 250 km/s.
This is seen only in a particular range of directions; there are
probably inward perturbations in other directions that have not been
observed yet (or at least I didn't see them in my very cursory glance
at the paper).

I don't think anybody believed they were moving straight out with no
tangential velocity. However, it seems that the outward radial velocity
is more pronounced than originally thought; and also the radial velocity
is not merely randomly distributed either, according to this.

Yousuf Khan
Old December 3rd 10, 03:10 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

wrote :

[...]

This motion might act as another clue to discovering what that Dark
Matter really is. With the recent announcement about the relative number
and mass of red dwarfs in the universe, we might be on the verge of
discovering Dark Matter is quite normal baryonic matter after all.

Yousuf Khan