OM aka Bob Mosley

Old October 14th 15, 09:59 PM posted to sci.space.history
Gene DiGennaro

Default OM aka Bob Mosley

Some of us oldtimers here remember a fellow who went by the screename of OM. He was a cantankerous trollish fellow that knew his stuff but internet etiquette was certainly not his forte! He ruled this group for years.

It is my sad duty to inform folks that OM aka Bob Mosley passed away today from complications due to diabetes. RIP Bob, we'll miss you.
Old October 15th 15, 02:08 PM posted to sci.space.history
David Spain

On 10/14/2015 4:59 PM, Gene DiGennaro wrote:
Some of us oldtimers here remember a fellow who went by the screename of OM. He was a cantankerous trollish fellow that knew his stuff but internet etiquette was certainly not his forte! He ruled this group for years.

It is my sad duty to inform folks that OM aka Bob Mosley passed away today from complications due to diabetes. RIP Bob, we'll miss you.

What is it about October and old time contributors to sci.space.*?
It was around October 2010 we lost Pat Flannery and now Bob Mosley...
Almost exactly 5 years to the day...

Bob was indeed 'cantankerous', and didn't suffer folks gladly that he
felt were either foolish 'pontificates' spreading disinformation or
those whom he felt had wronged him publicly. After all, it was he who
introduced me to the word 'catamite'. heh.

But I will remember him mostly for his contribution here on the Columbia
Accident Investigation Review Board FAQ. A brief search (all I have time
for at the moment) could not turn up this excellent web page of his as a
fitting memorial. Perhaps when I have more time or another reader perhaps?

Bob knew his stuff and I wish I had been more of a participant some
20-15 years back when this group was in its heyday.

There is something to be said for web forums these days, what with the
graphics support and all. And the heavy moderation that is normal there
prevents a lot of the flame fests that used to erupt in the newsgroups.
But one thing I DO miss that has NOT been replaced, is that fact that
there was a time when there was ONE place people tended to congregate to
exchange news and views on space. And that was here in these very
newsgroups.

Along with Bob Mosley, aka OM, I miss that most of all...

David Spain

Old October 16th 15, 07:09 AM posted to sci.space.history
snidely

Gene DiGennaro used thar keyboard to writen:
Some of us oldtimers here remember a fellow who went by the screename of OM.
He was a cantankerous trollish fellow that knew his stuff but internet
etiquette was certainly not his forte! He ruled this group for years.

It is my sad duty to inform folks that OM aka Bob Mosley passed away today
from complications due to diabetes. RIP Bob, we'll miss you.

Bob at his best was among the best. Detailed knowledge of our specific
subject matter, and a bunch of other stuff that was also valuable.

Ad astrum, OM.

/dps

--
I have always been glad we weren't killed that night. I do not know
any particular reason, but I have always been glad.
Old October 16th 15, 12:13 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article , says...

But I will remember him mostly for his contribution here on the Columbia
Accident Investigation Review Board FAQ. A brief search (all I have time
for at the moment) could not turn up this excellent web page of his as a
fitting memorial. Perhaps when I have more time or another reader perhaps?

Clearly this isn't the original, but an archived copy, but still, here
it is:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/837444/posts

Jeff

Old October 16th 15, 02:09 PM posted to sci.space.history
Mendenhall

On Wednesday, October 14, 2015 at 4:59:20 PM UTC-4, Gene DiGennaro wrote:
Some of us oldtimers here remember a fellow who went by the screename of OM. He was a cantankerous trollish fellow that knew his stuff but internet etiquette was certainly not his forte! He ruled this group for years.

It is my sad duty to inform folks that OM aka Bob Mosley passed away today from complications due to diabetes. RIP Bob, we'll miss you.

Who remembers how Bob used to threaten to beat people to death? Or how he liked to claim he was going to beat people up with a spiked baseball bat? Or how he used to call people child molesters? Or how he wished that people he did not like would be anally raped in prison? Or how he drove people away because of his hostility?

He's burning in hell now.
Old October 17th 15, 04:45 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article ,
says...

On Wednesday, October 14, 2015 at 4:59:20 PM UTC-4, Gene DiGennaro wrote:
Some of us oldtimers here remember a fellow who went by the screename of OM. He was a cantankerous trollish fellow that knew his stuff but internet etiquette was certainly not his forte! He ruled this group for years.

It is my sad duty to inform folks that OM aka Bob Mosley passed away today from complications due to diabetes. RIP Bob, we'll miss you.

Who remembers how Bob used to threaten to beat people to death? Or how he liked to claim he was going to beat people up with a spiked baseball bat? Or how he used to call people child molesters? Or how he wished that people he did not like would be anally raped in prison? Or how he drove people away because of his hostility?

I remember him engaging in that sort of behavior when the trolls came
out in force after the Columbia disaster. His response was to organize
a Columbia Accident FAQ (an archived snapshot is here).

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/837444/posts

He's burning in hell now.

Possibly, but his contributions to these newsgroups did span the range
from the slightly negative to extremely positive, IMHO.

Jeff
Old October 19th 15, 03:03 AM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

Oh, no! I was a regular participant in this group back in the 90s and 00's.

Out of the blue, I thought I would check up on the old neighbourhood. I'm very sad that the first post that I saw was Gene's announcement of OM's passing.

Rest in peace, old friend. You will be missed.

--
Dave Michelson

Old January 12th 16, 07:36 AM posted to sci.space.history
Stuf4

From Gene DiGennaro:
Some of us oldtimers here remember a fellow who went by the screename of
OM. He was a cantankerous trollish fellow that knew his stuff but internet
etiquette was certainly not his forte! He ruled this group for years.

It is my sad duty to inform folks that OM aka Bob Mosley passed away today
from complications due to diabetes. RIP Bob, we'll miss you.

Thanks for letting us know, Gene. I'm only now seeing this. I would have been interested in meeting him face to face. I might have gotten a better understanding of him. Alas, he has reached the Omega point of his own life.

There is another death announcement to make, impacting the ssh community. I'll post on a different thread.

~ CT