ASTRO: Nikon D200 First Light

Old April 27th 07, 03:03 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Preston S Justis

Default ASTRO: Nikon D200 First Light

"George Normandin" wrote in message

Here (http://www.kopernik.org/images/archive/sagittarius.avi) is a
'movie' made from a small number of 30 second exposures I made with a
borrowed Canon Rebel DSRL (no mod, so very little red sensitivity) mounted
on an Orion EQ-1. The lens was a Tamaron 28-210mm zoom working around 35mm
and F/4. This is a big file, so if you are on dial-up forget it!

The EQ-1 is Orion's smallest mount and I got a "second", mostly for use
with my solar PST, but it works great for wide-field tracking. If you get
into this DSLR astro-imaging I suggest getting a free copy of IRIS and

read
the tutorials, etc. It's a difficult software package to learn, but it's
very comprehensive, and best of all it's free!!

BTW, this 'movie' was made with the nearly full moon up!! Subtracting

out
moonlight is one of the benefits of digital.

Clear skies,

George Normandin

That was a neat movie! I saved this info for future use. Thanks George,

Scott

Old April 27th 07, 05:39 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

George Normandin wrote:

"Preston S Justis" wrote

I would like to get a small tracking mount for the camera with a telephoto
lens and guidescope. Haven't really looked into that yet. I'm still
getting
geared up
for my daytime photography. The D200 has an intervalometer feature as
well.

Scott,

[...]

That other classic movie, The Day the Sky Stood Still ... but the Earth
Didn't.

Rick

Old April 28th 07, 04:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote

That other classic movie, The Day the Sky Stood Still ... but the Earth
Didn't.

I'm going to title my next effort "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes II", or
"The Moon eats a Deep Sky Guy".

George N