ASTRO: PK 59-18.1 AKA Abell 72

Old May 12th 10, 07:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: PK 59-18.1 AKA Abell 72

PK59-18.1 or Abell 72 is a planetary nebula in Delphinius. I can't find
any distance estimate for it. There's a tight pair of possibly
interacting galaxies just below it. The barred spiral is MCG
+02-53-005. I can't find any catalog entry for the small spherical one
above it. The other "major" galaxy in the image, to the west, is 2MASX
J20493655+1335042. It is blue yet a strong IR galaxy. This is because
it is likely forming stars like crazy in the core which is hidden by
dust. That dust is heated by the intense stars being formed deep inside
it. This causes it to shine strongly in IR light. The blue color
indicates star formation is going on strongly in less dusty areas as
well, though again, the very newest stars are likely hidden behind the
dust clouds that gave birth to them and they too will glow in IR light.
Slightly older ones have thrown off their dust veils giving the galaxy
its strong blue color.

Odd how I can image a planetary and then talk about field galaxies. I
can't find much on this particular planetary so had to say something.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' RGB=2x10'x3, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

I've attached a full image and a 150% crop to better show the galaxies.

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PK59-18.1L4X10RGB1X20X3R.jpg
Views:	800
Size:	532.7 KB
ID:	2939  Click image for larger version

Name:	PK59-18.1L4X10RGB1X20X3R-800-150.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	2940
Old May 13th 10, 03:06 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

that's a nice pair Rick

and a nice image too!
looks bit tough with that bright star so close!

. com...

Old May 13th 10, 05:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

My feelings about that star aren't fit for publication!

I am slowly getting better at fighting these bullies into submission.
They don't go down easily. Scopes with corrector plates seem to be at a
disadvantage with them due to some blue chromatic problems with a single
element corrector. Also blue scatters more easily wich doesn't help
either. It is a K star but blue scattering was a major issue just the
same. I suppose I should be happy it wasn't a O or B star.

Rick

On 5/13/2010 9:06 AM, Richard Crisp wrote:
that's a nice pair Rick

and a nice image too!
looks bit tough with that bright star so close!

. com...

Old May 14th 10, 04:42 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Glen Youman

Excellent image - my image of this object turned out green using G2v
derived parameters.

My G2v parameters did not consider galactic dust exinction and
reddening - re-doing the G2v calibration is on my to do list for some
moonlit night.

Old May 15th 10, 03:37 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

I've had some odd results but usually due to atmospheric effects
damaging one or more colors. I now search for a star of approximate G2V
color in the area and use that as my guide tweaking depending on how far
it is off when I suspect the sky is playing tricks. Problem is those
tricks vary so what they were at the start of the image isn't what they
are at the end so I still end up tweaking some. Once in a while I get
lucky and some usable star is in the image and not saturated but that's
rare. Here I just used my normal balancing and when it came out rather
similar to Adam Blocks AOP image I said "good enough" so didn't apply
any tweaks.

Though had had really clobber that K0 star beside it. It's gradient was
screwing things up something awful. So after dealing with it I was
rather surprised to find the nebula's color came out similar to Block's.
Though we both had to deal with that $(%# star. He doesn't have a
corrector plate to add further scattering like I do.

Rick

Old June 1st 10, 09:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

you even got the spiral arms of the small galaxy "under" the PN. The PN
itself is a nice (although faint) object for city skies when imaged with an
OIII filter, but of course the galaxies lose a lot with narrow band...

Stefan

. com...