An Unusual "Cloud" on Tuesday Evening, November 21

Old November 23rd 06, 05:11 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Dave Mitsky

Default An Unusual "Cloud" on Tuesday Evening, November 21

While observing from a dark site in central Pennsylvania on Tuesday
night, my observing buddy and I noticed what we first took to be an
auroral glow in the southeast at approximately 6:30 p.m. EST (23:30
UT). It was a green or blue-green amorphous glow with a brighter
central "ray" that slowly expanded and eventually dissipated about 15
minutes later.

The event was also witnessed by two other very reliable observers from
two other locations in the state.

Does anyone know if there was a vapor release experiment or a rocket
fuel dump that night? I haven't been successful in discovering any
information on the event to this point.

Dave Mitsky

Old November 23rd 06, 09:17 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jim Shaffer

On 23 Nov 2006 09:11:45 -0800, "Dave Mitsky" wrote:

While observing from a dark site in central Pennsylvania on Tuesday
night, my observing buddy and I noticed what we first took to be an
auroral glow in the southeast at approximately 6:30 p.m. EST (23:30
UT). It was a green or blue-green amorphous glow with a brighter
central "ray" that slowly expanded and eventually dissipated about 15
minutes later.

I saw that too! I thought I was seeing smoke from a chimney down the
street, as I had observed during daytime that smoke was lying close to
the ground that day, but I had no luck coming up with an explanation
for what was illuminating it. It looked like a searchlight shining
into a smoke cloud. Like you, I was struck by the resemblance to an
aurora. I ran into some trouble later in the night and so forgot
about it until you mentioned it. Evidently it wasn't a ground-level
phenomenon at all. I'm in Montgomery, Lycoming County, south of
Williamsport.

Old November 24th 06, 05:30 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Dennis Woos

"Dave Mitsky" wrote in message
oups.com...
While observing from a dark site in central Pennsylvania on Tuesday
night, my observing buddy and I noticed what we first took to be an
auroral glow in the southeast at approximately 6:30 p.m. EST (23:30
UT). It was a green or blue-green amorphous glow with a brighter
central "ray" that slowly expanded and eventually dissipated about 15
minutes later.

The event was also witnessed by two other very reliable observers from
two other locations in the state.

Does anyone know if there was a vapor release experiment or a rocket
fuel dump that night? I haven't been successful in discovering any
information on the event to this point.

Dave Mitsky

My son and I both saw what I am sure was the same phenomena here in central
Vermont, and around the same time. I assumed it was some kind of
searchlight, even though it seemed much too far-reaching for that to be
plausible. I can't say how long it lasted - we were observing stuff in the
north-east and sometime later I noticed that it was gone. I sure would like
to know what it was - could it have been auroral?

Dennis

Old November 24th 06, 05:03 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Alan French

"Dave Mitsky" wrote in message
oups.com...
While observing from a dark site in central Pennsylvania on Tuesday
night, my observing buddy and I noticed what we first took to be an
auroral glow in the southeast at approximately 6:30 p.m. EST (23:30
UT). It was a green or blue-green amorphous glow with a brighter
central "ray" that slowly expanded and eventually dissipated about 15
minutes later.

The event was also witnessed by two other very reliable observers from
two other locations in the state.

Does anyone know if there was a vapor release experiment or a rocket
fuel dump that night? I haven't been successful in discovering any
information on the event to this point.

Dave,

My wife saw this too. Unfortunately, while she was home observing I was in
the car heading for a meeting, so I missed it. She mentioned it when I got
home, and said it looked like bright aurora a bit east of due south. She
described it as a wide swath with a shaft going up the middle, and it
dissipated and faded away.

We are in upstate NY about 7 miles northwest of Schenectady.

Clear skies, Alan

Old November 24th 06, 08:02 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
David G. Nagel

Alan French wrote:
[...]

What time did this occur? If the sun angle was just right at sunset you
might have seen an artifact of the GREEN Flash that happens just as the
various angles of refraction favor the GREEN light. I have not been
fortunate enough to have observed this but have read about it many
times. If the various factors required came together just right you
might have seen the cloud illuminated by the GREEN Flash.

Another Dave
Old November 25th 06, 01:51 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ron Lee

"Dennis Woos" wrote:

"Dave Mitsky" wrote in message
roups.com...
While observing from a dark site in central Pennsylvania on Tuesday
night, my observing buddy and I noticed what we first took to be an
auroral glow in the southeast at approximately 6:30 p.m. EST (23:30
UT). It was a green or blue-green amorphous glow with a brighter
central "ray" that slowly expanded and eventually dissipated about 15
minutes later.

It may have been the orbit adjust on the recent GPS launch.

Ron Lee
Old November 25th 06, 09:54 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Alan French

"David G. Nagel" wrote in message
Alan French wrote:
[...]

It was around 6:30 PM. It lasted for a few minutes, so I doubt it had
anything to do with the green flash, which is quite momentary.

Clear skies, Alan

Old November 27th 06, 05:36 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Dave Mitsky

David G. Nagel wrote:
Alan French wrote:
[...]

Apparently, it was a barium cloud release according to a post on the
AAVSO list, although I've also seen a report that it was a fuel dump
from a classified launch.

Dave Mitsky

Old November 27th 06, 08:15 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Alan French

"Dave Mitsky" wrote in message
ups.com...
Apparently, it was a barium cloud release according to a post on the
AAVSO list, although I've also seen a report that it was a fuel dump
from a classified launch.

Dave Mitsky,

My wife thought it was pretty large, extending 30 degrees up from the
horizon, and colorful to be a fuel dump. We saw a fuel dump several years
ago and it was a rather small, and not bright and colorful. I supposed they
vary, however.

Clear skies, Alan