BOINC problems

Old December 31st 05, 10:11 PM posted to sci.astro.seti

Default BOINC problems

BOINC has crashed my computer three times since downloading it about a
month ago. For no apparent reason, the animation stops. It is a true
crash. I can't even get to the Task Manager I must reboot by pressing
the button on my tower. Has anybody else had this happen?

Could the recent server problems have anything to do with this? If this
is the case, it's probably only temporary. Otherwise, I might have to
say bye bye. I would prefer not to do that.

I use Windows 2000.

Bob Henry
Old January 1st 06, 12:00 AM posted to sci.astro.seti

Hello !

Bob Henry wrote:
BOINC has crashed my computer three times since downloading it about a
month ago. For no apparent reason, the animation stops. It is a true
crash. I can't even get to the Task Manager I must reboot by pressing
the button on my tower. Has anybody else had this happen?

I have seen some posts about such a topic on the windows help desk forums.

Could the recent server problems have anything to do with this? If this

No.

is the case, it's probably only temporary. Otherwise, I might have to
say bye bye. I would prefer not to do that.

It could be a hardware or software problem on your system. For exaple
bad memory, cpu, board or graphics. It could also be a problem with the
graphics driver and the boinc screensaver.

But you can disable the screensaver, and crunch without any graphics.
The graphics from the screensaver is optional. The main crunching are
done by the seti app in the background...
If your computer runs now without problems, it should be a problem on
the graphic card or the graphic drivers.

Regards

Lars
Old January 1st 06, 05:19 PM posted to sci.astro.seti

"Bob Henry" wrote in message
news
BOINC has crashed my computer three times since downloading it about a
month ago. For no apparent reason, the animation stops. It is a true
crash. I can't even get to the Task Manager I must reboot by pressing
the button on my tower. Has anybody else had this happen?

Could the recent server problems have anything to do with this? If this
is the case, it's probably only temporary. Otherwise, I might have to say
bye bye. I would prefer not to do that.

Does it only crash when the graphics are displaying? Try running it without
the graphics and see if it crashes. If it does if could be a hardware
problem, and CPU cooling is a likely culprit. Other possibilities are bad
memory or system board. If it only crashes with the graphics then it could
be a video problem. BOINC apps will drive your computer hard and good CPU
cooling is critical.

Meade LX 90 problems (Long) Brian K. Mathis Amateur Astronomy 12 January 4th 06 07:26 PM
Boinc on a Mac Paul N SETI 0 August 17th 04 07:52 PM
BOINC doesn't communicate with server David or Eunice Boucher SETI 0 August 8th 04 01:03 AM
Berkeley status 2004/07/19 (Boinc & s@h) Martin 53N 1W SETI 2 July 20th 04 05:16 AM
TMI Report:People problems vs. Equipment Jim M Bowden Space Shuttle 0 October 22nd 03 08:08 AM