Why "Project Orion" is more vital now than ever

Old July 15th 06, 03:56 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.politics
Rich[_1_]

Default Why "Project Orion" is more vital now than ever

This from Sky and Tel;

"July 12, 2006 | If astronauts had been on the Moon in early August
1972, they would have been at best terribly queasy, and at worst --
dead. A burst of charged particles that suddenly erupted from the Sun
would have caused severe radiation sickness, dosing any unlucky
Moonwalkers with about 400 rem -- almost 50,000 times the radiation
dose you get from a chest X-ray. Fortunately, the burst, known as a
coronal mass ejection (CME), erupted during the months between Apollo
16 and Apollo 17, so no astronauts were harmed.

But as NASA looks to return astronauts to the Moon and send them beyond
to Mars, the health hazards posed by these solar explosions are a
serious concern. . . "

Project Orion could take all the equipment needed for a Moon base in
one launch.
Not the dozens it's going to take. They absolutely cannot afford to
have men
trotting around the Moon's surface exposed for weeks at a time. They
have to
erect the buildings and cover them with "soil" as fast as possible.
S----- chemical
rockets will NOT do the job.
And as for Mars....he he he. Might as well just send them in coffins.

Old July 15th 06, 04:44 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.politics
[email protected]

Rich wrote:
[...]

How about a project Borion where we send all the space fanatics to Mars
in one ship! Won't make it unfried - No Problem! No means of making a
viable comminity on Mars at this time - no problem!

Old July 15th 06, 10:33 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.politics
Rick Evans

wrote in message
ps.com...

Rich wrote:
rockets will NOT do the job.
And as for Mars....he he he. Might as well just send them in coffins.

How about a project Borion where we send all the space fanatics to Mars
in one ship! Won't make it unfried - No Problem! No means of making a
viable comminity on Mars at this time - no problem!

How about a project Borion where space fanatics personally fund
the cost of sending themselves in on ship. Won't squander my tax
dollars no problem.

--
Hilton Evans
Lat +42° 11' 07"

Old July 15th 06, 01:46 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.politics
RMOLLISE

Rick Evans wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...

Rich wrote:
rockets will NOT do the job.
And as for Mars....he he he. Might as well just send them in coffins.

How about a project Borion where we send all the space fanatics to Mars
in one ship! Won't make it unfried - No Problem! No means of making a
viable comminity on Mars at this time - no problem!

How about a project Borion where space fanatics personally fund
the cost of sending themselves in on ship. Won't squander my tax
dollars no problem.

--

Yeah...instead of your tax dollars getting spent on that stupid space
stuff, they can continue to go to worthwhile projects like the Boston

Old July 15th 06, 02:55 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.politics
Starlord

How about we take all those who are against any and all space projects, load
them into some planes and drop'm off on the north pole and let'm WALK back
in the middle of winter without any extra supplys.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net
In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden
Blast Off Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/starlords
Astro Blog
http://starlord.bloggerteam.com/

"Rick Evans" wrote in message
wrote in message
ps.com...

Old July 15th 06, 02:56 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.politics
Starlord

Or to keep on funding the vietnam type wors GWB keeps getting us into.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net
In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden
Blast Off Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/starlords
Astro Blog
http://starlord.bloggerteam.com/

"RMOLLISE" wrote in message
oups.com...

Rick Evans wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...

Old July 15th 06, 04:17 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.politics
[email protected]

Starlord wrote:
How about we take all those who are against any and all space projects, load
them into some planes and drop'm off on the north pole and let'm WALK back
in the middle of winter without any extra supplys.

Been essentially done! Try that in Mid space now - Your blood boils
without your suit and there is no air to breathe

"Rick Evans" wrote in message
> [...]
wrote in message
ps.com...

Old July 15th 06, 05:29 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.politics
Starlord

You drop someone off at the North Pole in Winter time with out the needed
extra supplys of food and stuff and you know what you get? Frozen Human for
desert.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net
In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden
Blast Off Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/starlords
Astro Blog
http://starlord.bloggerteam.com/

wrote in message
oups.com...

"Rick Evans" wrote in message
> [...]
wrote in message
ps.com...

Old July 15th 06, 05:50 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.politics
Rick Evans

"Starlord" wrote in message
How about we take all those who are against any and all space projects,

How about we not generalize criticism of one space project
to opposition to all space projects. Borion any and all space
projects.

Old July 15th 06, 06:06 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.politics
Rick Evans

"RMOLLISE" wrote in message
oups.com...

Rick Evans wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...

Rich wrote:
rockets will NOT do the job.
And as for Mars....he he he. Might as well just send them in coffins.

How about a project Borion where we send all the space fanatics to Mars
in one ship! Won't make it unfried - No Problem! No means of making a
viable comminity on Mars at this time - no problem!

How about a project Borion where space fanatics personally fund
the cost of sending themselves in on ship. Won't squander my tax
dollars no problem.

--

Yeah...instead of your tax dollars getting spent on that stupid space
stuff, they can continue to go to worthwhile projects like the Boston
Big Dig, right? ;-)

Nice try Rod, but where have you ever read me argue the
merits of the Big Dig, its engineering choices or for that matter its
absurd cost overruns.

That said, from first hand experience I can say that the I-93 tunnel
(not to be confused with the currently closed Ted Williams Tunnel)
and Zakim bridge have significantly reduced traffic congestion and the
accompanying air pollution in downtown Boston.

And yes I do oppose spending money on "STUPID space stuff" such as
Bush Moondoggle or the $100 billion and counting orbiting
house trailer, while more intelligent scientific space projects
are being cut left and right.