Where to start?

Old November 13th 05, 08:23 PM
Olv

Default Where to start?

Hi,

I'm very much an astronomy beginner and am keen to take my interest
further by purchasing some equipment. Being a tight git, I'm unwilling
to fork out hundreds of pounds only for my interest to fade away. I've
noticed on The Sky At Night that there are groups of amateurs who meet
up to collectively stargaze; this would be an ideal place for me to
test some equipment and decide whether to take the plunge myself.

My question is this - is it possible to 'tag along' to such meet ups
and if so, how do I find where and when they are?

Olv.

Old November 13th 05, 09:24 PM
Andy Dix

Olv wrote:
Hi,

I'm very much an astronomy beginner and am keen to take my interest
further by purchasing some equipment. Being a tight git, I'm unwilling
to fork out hundreds of pounds only for my interest to fade away. I've
noticed on The Sky At Night that there are groups of amateurs who meet
up to collectively stargaze; this would be an ideal place for me to
test some equipment and decide whether to take the plunge myself.

My question is this - is it possible to 'tag along' to such meet ups
and if so, how do I find where and when they are?

Olv.

Not really an answer to your question but... go onto eBay and bid for a
pair of binoculars. Try to get the biggest object lens pair you can
find. The numbers that describe bins may say 10 x 50. This means 10
times magnification and 50mm object lens. Don't go for mega zoom or
mag, 10x will be sufficient to see far more than with the naked eye. If
your interest is maintained from using bins then you can "progress" to a
'scope. At that point I'd locate a local group nearby and go along.
They'll all be most willing to "show off" their kit and also tell you
all their stories. That way you'll have more time/experience in order
that you don't waste money on a fleeting fad.

I'm sure you'll be hook on what you see but maybe the cold part of the
hobby won't thrill you to pieces. ;o)

HTH
Cheers
Andy
Old November 13th 05, 09:38 PM
Robin Leadbeater

"Olv" wrote in message
oups.com...

My question is this - is it possible to 'tag along' to such meet ups
and if so, how do I find where and when they are?

Hi Olv,

Give us your town and someone here will most likely be able point you to
your nearest astro society

Robin

Old November 14th 05, 12:01 AM
Chuck Taylor

My question is this - is it possible to 'tag along' to such meet ups
and if so, how do I find where and when they are?

http://skyandtelescope.com/resources/organizations/ will find
clubs near you. And yes, public nights in particular are for
people to tag along. And every club will have some people who
enjoy helping others get started.

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon? If so, try
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lunar-observing/

If you enjoy optics, try
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ATM_Optics_Software/

Old November 14th 05, 09:28 PM
Olv

Thanks for your responses. Just looking on ebay and binoculars are much
cheaper than I thought they would be - good advice to go with that then
advance to a telescope if necessary. Also found a club based
not-too-far away so, all in all, a positive result. Thanks!