where do I start

Old July 6th 04, 11:55 AM
Michael

Default where do I start

I have bought myself a new telescope, so where do I start on the hobby of
astronomy? Would appreciate any good links or any info at all...
MC

Old July 6th 04, 03:44 PM
starlord

I would start off with one or both of the astronomy type magazines, a star
map and by just going out and looking at whatever is up there.

Your way down south, so you have a good sky to look at.

"Michael" wrote in message
I have bought myself a new telescope, so where do I start on the hobby of
astronomy? Would appreciate any good links or any info at all...
MC

---

Old July 7th 04, 02:51 AM
Randy L.

"Michael" wrote in message
I have bought myself a new telescope, so where do I start on the hobby of
astronomy? Would appreciate any good links or any info at all...
MC

Michael,
I would suggest that you try to find a local astronomy club that you can
join. I did this, and it was the best thing I could have done. I now have a
network of very knowledgeable people to help answer my questions, and we
have a monthly "star party" which allows us to gather with our equipment and
compare notes and techniques.

Randy L.

Old July 7th 04, 05:51 AM
Mark Smith

1. A local Astronomy Club.

2. Check out some of the Astronomical League Observing Lists.
Depending on where you are, the Messier Club list, the Lunar Club
List, and the Urban Club List are all pretty good for beginers.

3. You didn't say what size telescope you have or where you are, but:

a. The moon is always a easy first target. It will be bright so
consider a Moon Filter.

b. Jupiter is still good and is easy to find.

c. There are some nice clusters that are easy to find from almost
anywhere. M4 is very easy to find if Antares is high enough. M3 is
pretty easy as is M13.

A little more information about your telescope and your location and
we may be able to give more advice.

Clear, Dark Skies

Mark