M51

Old July 10th 03, 03:49 AM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Default M51

Hi Painius Could we say the M51 galaxy is the most beautiful galaxy
in the universe? Bert

Old July 10th 03, 09:47 AM
Painius

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message...

Hi Painius Could we say the M51 galaxy is the most beautiful galaxy
in the universe? Bert

*You* can certainly say this, Bert, if it's what you believe. Since
it's aesthetics and a matter of taste, when we're talking about the
beauty of galaxies, i feel there're none more beautiful than our own
Milky Way Galaxy. It's the only one that spreads its twinklers all
over our night sky!

Not counting our own Galaxy, my most beautiful galaxy is...

http://schmidling.netfirms.com/m51.htm

followed closely by...

http://schmidling.netfirms.com/m31.htm

and...

http://schmidling.netfirms.com/m104.htm

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--
Kiss the girls and make them cry
Just like old Georgie Porgy--

Paine Ellsworth

Old July 11th 03, 05:46 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Great Beauty of our Universe (was - M51)

"Painius" wrote in message
"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message...

Hi Painius Could we say the M51 galaxy is the most beautiful galaxy
in the universe? Bert

Bert! You've unleashed the non-scientist in me! While on one
of my favorite subjects, the Great Beauty of the Universe, here
are more of my favorites...

Polar Ring Galaxy...

Hoag's Object...

The Tadpole Galaxy...

snip

Awesome.

BV.

Old July 11th 03, 05:49 PM
BenignVanilla

"Painius" wrote in message
snip
The Tadpole Galaxy...

snip

Pain...is this real? There is SO MUCH in that picture!!! I am stunned. It
looks like something out of a movie. That has to be the most amazing thing I
have ever seen.

BV.

Old July 12th 03, 09:38 AM
Painius

"BenignVanilla" wrote...
in message ...

"Painius" wrote in message

snip

The Tadpole Galaxy...

snip

Pain...is this real? There is SO MUCH in that picture!!! I am stunned. It
looks like something out of a movie. That has to be the most amazing thing I
have ever seen.

BV.

Yes, i agree... it seems surreal. If you look closely at the spiral,
upper left, there is a bright blue object, a small galaxy that's
about 300,000 light-years behind or beyond the Tadpole's head.
Scientists believe that this small galaxy, moving rapidly from right
to left in the picture, passed through the Tadpole spiral disrupting
it and causing the "tail" to form.

So the Tadpole used to be a spiral galaxy very much like our
own Milky Way Galaxy. And now you could line up about three
Milky Ways along the entire length of the Tadpole Galaxy!

There are few things more beautiful in our Universe!

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--
Tender hearts wear crying mask,
With eyes and tears that burn,

Paine Ellsworth

Old July 14th 03, 03:10 PM
BenignVanilla

"Painius" wrote in message
snip
Yes, i agree... it seems surreal.

snip

I am NOT kidding when I say, that picture will be burned in my brain
forever. The immense complication of structures in that picture, has had a
huge impact on my brain. I can't put it into words.

BV.

Old July 14th 03, 04:14 PM
Bill Sheppard

BV wrote, regarding the HST photo of the Tadpole nebula posted by
Painius-

I am NOT kidding when I say, that
picture will be burned in my brain
forever. The immense complication of
structures in that picture, has had a huge impact on my brain. I can't

put it into
words.

Again, one of the subjective but overriding *truths* of astronomy. There
are those who would say it is valueless because it cannot be
'mathematized'. Tsk, tsk.

oc

Old July 14th 03, 05:49 PM
BenignVanilla

"Bill Sheppard" wrote in message
BV wrote, regarding the HST photo of the Tadpole nebula posted by
Painius-

I am NOT kidding when I say, that
picture will be burned in my brain
forever. The immense complication of
structures in that picture, has had a huge impact on my brain. I can't

put it into
words.

Again, one of the subjective but overriding *truths* of astronomy. There
are those who would say it is valueless because it cannot be
'mathematized'. Tsk, tsk.

I think that picture is worth millions of words. Makes me realize how small
we really are.

BV.

Old July 20th 03, 05:13 AM
Bill Sheppard

Painius wrote,

It's the difference between "head up in
the clouds" and "head up the ass." The
happy medium is "feet on the ground."

And math, you old coot, is the best
ground i've found.

Very picturesquely put, Painius. But you can throw all the math you want
at any*thing* and it doesn't change the basic laws of physics. You can
start with _any_ premise and apply math to 'prove' it; you can use math
to prove the universe is geocentric or the Earth flat, or that creation
is 10,000 years old. You can use math to 'prove' the premise that space
is functionally void and c universally constant. You can begin with the
premise that BHs cannot be gravitationally bipolar and invoke math to
'prove' that pre-held agenda. Sorry, but reality and elementary physics
speaks for itself and needs no math to 'prove' the obvious. The obvious
needs no proving.
Granted, a math rooted in the void-space paradigm cannot
model bipolar gravity, nor can it be expected to. The bipolarity is
perfectly natural and obvious under the flowing-space model as Lindner
now recognizes, and needs no math to prove.
There is indeed beauty in math as you point out. But math
is a secondary adjunct in the scheme of things, not a red herring to
'prove' any pre-held premise under the sun.

That other thread on gravitic bipolarity certainly brought forth the
cartoonish tirades, tantrums, foot stampings and hissy fits of the
quintessential 'math head' caricature- all in good fun of course. And
Bert started the thread originally, too. Good show, Bert.

To declare c universally invariant outside our horizon of visibility all
the way back to emergence from the BB-- now THERE'S a bold extrapolation
and leap of faith. And quite a chuckle.

oc

Old July 20th 03, 05:42 AM
Bill Sheppard

Painius wrote,

If Wolter were here, i would hazard a
guess that he would agree with that if
you are unable to show the mathematics,
then you're just ****in' in the wind.

In Wolter's view, the problem is the preoccupation and fixation on math
for its own sake. This inordinate fixation stifles and nullifies one's
ability to see reality as=A0it is. That's not to imply that math is
valueless. It has its role as a secondary adjunct. The cart needs to be
'behind the horse' instead of vice-versa. This is precisely why he knew
his model will never get past the 'math heads' as long as the cart is
before the horse.

oc