ASTRO: 17P Images

Old October 27th 07, 08:58 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Eric[_1_]

Default ASTRO: 17P Images

Took a set of images last night. Total of 30, 10s shots with 8" LX200
and ST-7. The greyscale image is pretty much what I see in the
eyepiece. The false colour image shows some interesting detail.

For the the third image, I rotated the original by 3 degrees and
subtracted it. Everything processed with iraf and ds9.

Had another look tonight - can't believe how bright it is.

Eric.

--
"I feel like I am being nibbled to death by a cat" -Londo Molari

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P17_grey.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	1373  Click image for larger version

Name:	P17_sls.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	1374  Click image for larger version

Name:	P17_rd.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	1375
Old October 27th 07, 09:37 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

that's cool Eric

I like the idea of rotating one a small amount relative to the other to show
some additional detail

Old October 27th 07, 03:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

i guess you did the equivalent of this:
http://astrosurf.com:80/~buil/us/iris/comet/comet.htm

is that right?

Old October 27th 07, 05:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Eric[_1_]

Yup.

I guess 'Rotational Gradient' must be 'RG processing', eh ?

E.

Old October 27th 07, 06:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

that's my conclusion

try adding a bias offset of about 15000 adu before subtracting to avoid that
black saturated spot

Old October 27th 07, 11:35 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Eric[_1_]

Try these on for size... I took the absolute value after doing the
calculation. The first is a 5 degree rotation as before. The second is a
laplacian (second derivative).

Eric.

"Eric" wrote in message

Took a set of images last night. Total of 30, 10s shots with 8" LX200
and ST-7. The greyscale image is pretty much what I see in the
eyepiece. The false colour image shows some interesting detail.

For the the third image, I rotated the original by 3 degrees and
subtracted it. Everything processed with iraf and ds9.

Had another look tonight - can't believe how bright it is.

Eric.

--
"I feel like I am being nibbled to death by a cat" -Londo Molari

--
"I feel like I am being nibbled to death by a cat" -Londo Molari

--
"I feel like I am being nibbled to death by a cat" -Londo Molari

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P17_rd2.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	1376  Click image for larger version

Name:	P17_laplace.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	1377
Old October 28th 07, 03:04 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

interesting result from a logical set of processing ideas

visualization is always an interesting thing