Have Questions Or Need Help From An Astronomer ?

Old February 26th 07, 08:02 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Peter Webb[_2_]

Default Have Questions Or Need Help From An Astronomer ?

"Chris L Peterson" wrote in message
On 25 Feb 2007 16:39:31 -0800, "Ben" wrote:

The increased activity from South Africa last week leads
me to think there are some big-league operators afoot.

The kind who would set up a dummy website to facilitate
their nefarious schemes.

I think the site is genuine, and there are no ulterior motives. If you
want to harvest a lot of addresses, an "ask the astronomer" blog doesn't
seem very efficient.

I think its genuine, but written by a 12 year old.

If it was a fake, it would be way easier to cut and paste some correct
questions and answers, instead of writing the crap that's there now.

Old February 26th 07, 04:37 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ben

On Feb 26, 2:02 am, "Peter Webb"
wrote:
"Chris L Peterson" wrote in messagenews:1qb4u2lfid4120r33ga4s75ei3fetgk606@4ax .com...

I think its genuine, but written by a 12 year old.

If it was a fake, it would be way easier to cut and paste some correct
questions and answers, instead of writing the crap that's there now.

I admit I haven't visited the site. Reports from you guys make
it
seem like a waste of time.
Still I have to point out that astronomers don't come on sounding
like late-nite TV commercials. When someone claiming to be an
astronomer makes those kind of blustery overtures a red flag goes
up in the mind's eye. The flag has CON ARTIST stiched across it.

Ben

Old February 26th 07, 04:50 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On 26 Feb 2007 08:37:56 -0800, "Ben" wrote:

I admit I haven't visited the site. Reports from you guys make
it seem like a waste of time.

Perhaps you should. While the nature of the newsgroup posts have
produced some irritation, there's nothing to suggest that "Ask The
Astronomer" is anything but an enthusiastic amateur interested in
answering questions. I'd like to suggest that a few of his answers could
be better researched, and maybe that he participate in SAA with more
than just a link to his site. I see no reason to discourage his
interest, or to attack him too vigorously for little more than somewhat
poor netiquette and a couple of answers that could have been better.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old February 26th 07, 05:43 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ben

OK I'll give it looksee. It's peculiar the when this guy's
posts flare up about a month ago I experienced a concomitant
flareup of spam in my inbox - same as now.

BTW I really enjoy your site, esp. the archaeoastronomy
section. How long have you been doing archaeoastronomy?

Ben

Old February 27th 07, 04:22 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Dr J R Stockton[_12_]

In sci.astro.amateur message
, Sun, 25 Feb 2007 17:08:10, Greg Crinklaw
posted:
Ask The Astronomer wrote:

Or (d) chooses to remain anonymous.

I mean, how do we even know he's really an astronomer?

Just ask him a question requiring a degree of understanding to answer,
as I did. I asked about the position of L3.

If possible, make it one for which the most obvious source has an
incorrect answer. Or one where NASA or a collaborator has it wrong.

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQqish topics, acronyms & links;