SG4

Old January 24th 06, 02:44 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default SG4

I pulled out my Stargazer Steve Dob today and started a repair/restore
operation on it, doing some touch up painting and then about the 1st of Feb
I'll get a can of flat black and repait the whole tube. Then once I get a
telrad for it's full useage, I just might take it up to the corner along
with my other dob on some night.
Got to clean the rockerbox and seal it's wood again.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net
In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden
Blast Off Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/starlords

Old January 24th 06, 02:54 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

I pulled out my Stargazer Steve Dob today and started a repair/restore

What is the diameter or the primary, and how would you rate its quality?
How about the quality of the other components? Thanks.

Dennis

Old January 24th 06, 05:58 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

The Stargazer Steve F9 4.25inch Dob in my opion is the BEST small Dob on the
market. It comes as a kit, the mirror is already done and mounted, all you
do is put together the rockerbox and the OTA. It comes with a good manual
and a video and if you don't paint it like I did, you can have it together
in one day. I took 3 days as I painted the ota inside and out. During the
4.5 years of the building of Babylon 8, I used SG4 as my Sidewalk Astronomy
telescope.

It has a very good mirror, the whole thing can be carried in something like
a dufflebag. It's very good for leaning about the parts of a scope. The ONLY
fault I had with it, was the wooden circles that it comes with for useage as
a sighting device, I just could never get those in real alinement, so I use
a telrad ( also donated ) on it, needed to add some more weight to it
because of the telrad, most people would most likly use a red dot sight but
I like the telrad better.

It is listed in the telescope Buyers faq. Also while a lot may not have seen
them, he now has some new ones in his line of scopes, some are truss scopes
too. Also, the bigger brother of the 4.5 incher, his 6inch scope, from
reports I've been given is just as good too.

All in All, a very good starter scope.

Old January 24th 06, 07:34 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

I've been outside for the last hour with SG4, first thing I found is that
whatever lub is used in the R&P foucer needs replacing, it was easy to rake
downward, but upward felt like running in near frozen sluge. Plus, the 17mm
Telvue EP which works like magic in B8 is un-useable in this one, can't rake
it out far enough. All others worked ok, Got m42 and a few others. Had
forgotten what it was like not having it on a table or at lest a box to
bring it up more, for use by this 6ft'er. But in all the time it's sat or
been moved around in here, it never lost it's alinement.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net