The KSC Freak Show

Old February 5th 04, 04:15 AM
Scott Hedrick

Default The KSC Freak Show

There was a slim chance I would be able to visit KSC on Friday. Out of
curiosity, I checked out the website to see what's new.

You can't go home again. It's been turned into a shameful freak show. A real
expensive one as well.

Over a decade ago, I was standing in line, waiting for the wonderful
Hildegarde to answer a question, when I overheard her tell a fellow in front
of me, with pride, that the Visitor's Complex was *free* because of NASA's
charter mandate. There was a fee for the IMAX show, and of course the bus
tours, but the museum, Astronaut Memorial, Rocket Garden, and so forth-
pretty much everything within walking distance, was *free*.

The last time I was there in August 1996, it was all still free. The Saturn
V complex had a fee, around $9, but there was still some stuff in the free
exhibition building next to the bus ticket office.

Bob Haller might appreciate the Disneyfication of NASA, but having seen it
back when it was treated respectfully, it's not the same.

Looks like I'll just kick back and enjoy the pool.

Old February 5th 04, 04:30 AM
Hallerb

Bob Haller might appreciate the Disneyfication of NASA, but having seen it
back when it was treated respectfully, it's not the same.

Looks like I'll just kick back and enjoy the pool.

Well free is great! But just who will PAY to keep it free? Now choice 1 NASA,
thats the american taxpayer. Choice number 2 the visitors, who are using the
facility. Did you know that before 9 11 visitor numbers were way up? Thats good
for the entire area for spill off restaurants, hotels and gas stations. Plus
deleware north added tons of things to see that were previously restricted,
like the apollo one pad. The historic then and now tour and others. When I was
there some operatrions delayed our return and we missed the last show at the
saturn center. I was looking to find someone to complain too when they
announced a special show just for the delayed tour bus, and they would keep the
center open later for us too.

Now thats REAL SERVICE, and leads to repeat business. Worlds better than the
old contractor.

Knock the disney like feel but a kid on a tour bus might be the future
astronaut on the first mars mission. he got interested on that trip to KSC in
2004.

Old February 5th 04, 04:37 AM
Hallerb

Bob Haller might appreciate the Disneyfication of NASA, but having seen it
back when it was treated respectfully, it's not the same.

I have been to KSC a bunch of times the earliest about 1984 or 85. True most
was free then. Of course the busses leaked water, you couldnt hear the tape on
them, sound was distorted, the rockets paint was peeling, and things were run
down and in poor condition.

On my last visit things spakled and shined, lots of previously restriccted
areas were open for tours, and the bus driver was friendly and helpful.

sure free was nice but its better to pay something and have a wondeful
experience that deleware north is providing
Old February 5th 04, 08:56 AM
Bruce Palmer

Scott Hedrick wrote:

[...]

If you're staying in Cocoa Beach stay away from the Pier. The
cockroaches there are big enough to choke a horse.

--
bp
Proud Member of the Human O-Ring Society Since 2003

Old February 5th 04, 11:50 AM
Scott Hedrick

"Hallerb" wrote in message

Bob Haller might appreciate the Disneyfication of NASA, but having seen

it
back when it was treated respectfully, it's not the same.

Looks like I'll just kick back and enjoy the pool.

Well free is great! But just who will PAY to keep it free?

The same people that were doing so already, in this case, NASA, under their
educational mandate.

Plus
deleware north added tons of things to see that were previously

restricted,
like the apollo one pad.

Lots of people visited it before Delaware North got involved, so it clearly
wasn't *too* restricted.

we missed the last show at the
saturn center.

I don't go there for the entertainment. I go there for the history.

Old February 5th 04, 11:52 AM
Scott Hedrick

"Hallerb" wrote in message

Bob Haller might appreciate the Disneyfication of NASA, but having seen

it
back when it was treated respectfully, it's not the same.

I have been to KSC a bunch of times the earliest about 1984 or 85. True

most
was free then. Of course the busses leaked water, you couldnt hear the

tape on
them, sound was distorted, the rockets paint was peeling, and things were

run
down and in poor condition.

That's right- *real history*, not tourist trap!

On my last visit things spakled and shined, lots of previously restriccted
areas were open for tours, and the bus driver was friendly and helpful.

Sounds just like one of my visits in the 80s, where the only thing I needed
to pay for was the bus.

Old February 5th 04, 11:53 AM
Scott Hedrick

"Bruce Palmer" wrote in message
et...
If you're staying in Cocoa Beach stay away from the Pier.

We found a place a few miles from Disney called Snow White Village that was
amazingly cheap for what they offer.

The
cockroaches there are big enough to choke a horse.

This is Florida. As long as they keep the toilet seat down and don't cheat
at poker, they're not a problem.

Old February 5th 04, 01:30 PM
Richard Schumacher

Scott Hedrick wrote:

[...]

What, you don't like user fees? Welcome to Reagan's America.

Old February 5th 04, 11:38 PM
Brian Thorn

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 23:15:16 -0500, "Scott Hedrick"
wrote:

There was a slim chance I would be able to visit KSC on Friday. Out of
curiosity, I checked out the website to see what's new.

You can't go home again. It's been turned into a shameful freak show. A real
expensive one as well.

Note, if you tell the cashier that you just want to go in to the
souvenir store, you can buy a cheaper ticket that is fully refundable
if you return within, I think, two hours.

I did that over Christmas to pick up a few souvenirs for friends. Went
over and saw the Columbia crew added to the Space Mirror while I was
there, and put a donation in the collection box while I was there.

Brian
Old February 6th 04, 02:04 AM
Hallerb

Note, if you tell the cashier that you just want to go in to the
souvenir store, you can buy a cheaper ticket that is fully refundable
if you return within, I think, two hours.

Whats the big deal about paying admission to a well run classy facility?
Besides which most museums charge a entry fee of some sort.

Yet $20 to KSC makes it a freak show?