Evrybody wishes you well, but...?

Old July 4th 06, 04:55 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle,rec.org.mensa
'foolsrushin'

Default Evrybody wishes you well, but...?

Guys, I can remember buying books on space travel, but don't you think
the time has come to drop the Shuttle - and stop risking people's lives
in a spectacular way!

It goes without saying that everyone wishes you all well, but for how
long do you expect Shuttle technology to last?

Why not listen to your engineers?!
--
'foolsrushin.'

Old July 4th 06, 07:30 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle,rec.org.mensa
Brian Gaff

What have the engineer said though?

The message is muddled.

I understand that those who know the foam say no large area debonding can
occur under these conditions.

I just don't know. Lets hope they indeed have inspected enough to know.

Brian

Email:

ups.com...

Old July 4th 06, 11:56 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle,rec.org.mensa
MichaelJP[_1_]

"'foolsrushin'" wrote in message
ups.com...
Guys, I can remember buying books on space travel, but don't you think
the time has come to drop the Shuttle - and stop risking people's lives
in a spectacular way!

It goes without saying that everyone wishes you all well, but for how
long do you expect Shuttle technology to last?

Why not listen to your engineers?!
--
'foolsrushin.'

Why do you all fixate on the foam-falling-off thing? There are a million
ways for the Shuttle to fail, that's just one of them, and one of the more
benign ones as well.

Old July 4th 06, 12:40 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,rec.org.mensa
DougC

'foolsrushin' wrote:
Guys, I can remember buying books on space travel, but don't you think
the time has come to drop the Shuttle - and stop risking people's lives
in a spectacular way!

It goes without saying that everyone wishes you all well, but for how
long do you expect Shuttle technology to last?

Until some other technology comes along. If we stand down now, with no
plan to get into space, we will never get there.

Why not listen to your engineers?!

What have the engineers got to say? Engineers should take orders from
the test pilots. "Fix it," or "Design a gadget that will do this...."

Chuck Yeager was the first pilot to break the "sound barrier." The
night before the flight, he was riding a horse and fell on a fence jump
and broke a rib. He didn't tell anybody because he did not want to
cancel the mission. He climbed into the X plane knowing what the odds
were and did what he wanted to do - the first mach 1 flight. We don't
need opinions from politicians or accountants or engineers. We need
more "let's do it" test pilots.

Doug Chandler

Old July 4th 06, 01:04 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,rec.org.mensa
Bob Haller

Why do you all fixate on the foam-falling-off thing? There are a million
ways for the Shuttle to fail, that's just one of them, and one of the more
benign ones as well.

just the minor detail foam cost 7 lives and a irreplaceable orbiter...
besides showing nasa management was incompetent, schedule driven

sadly both of those still apply today, only now the idiot making the
final decision is griffin.

If I ever meet him I will tell him that directly!

Wether or not this flight, or the remaining ones come off safely he is
a prime example oif failed safety culture at nasa. If a bad day occurs
he will be around to watch his agency dismembered and castrated. During
the process he will no doubt resign...

So the same foam that killed Columbia is falling off a shuttle SITTING
on the pad

Ahh no problem lets go fly...

ARRGGH I AM MAD!

Old July 4th 06, 03:42 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,rec.org.mensa
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"MichaelJP" wrote in message
"'foolsrushin'" wrote in message
ups.com...

Why do you all fixate on the foam-falling-off thing? There are a million
ways for the Shuttle to fail, that's just one of them, and one of the more
benign ones as well.

Ayup, Columbia proved how benign it is.

Old July 4th 06, 05:36 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,rec.org.mensa
Phil Holman

"'foolsrushin'" wrote in message
ups.com...
Guys, I can remember buying books on space travel, but don't you think
the time has come to drop the Shuttle - and stop risking people's
lives
in a spectacular way!

It goes without saying that everyone wishes you all well, but for how
long do you expect Shuttle technology to last?

Why not listen to your engineers?!

Engineers belong to a discourse community predicated on a single
universal agenda. To provide a suitable design or appropriate technical
solution within the constraints of fit, form, function, budget and
schedule.

This paradigm of rational minds implies a form of stagnation
and rigidity and suggests that everyone is of the same equal mind.
Without it, there is the implication that thinking is skewed by the
clutter of culture, politics or other allegiances.

It's hardly a conspiracy; yet those in a discourse community of similar
mind are considered highly suspect.

Phil H

Old July 4th 06, 05:36 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,rec.org.mensa
Bob Haller

stand down now means the remaining ISS compnents can get moved to
expendables, and more money will be available for the CEV and perhaps
the heavy lifter which could be used to launchg the remaining ISS
components.

The shuttle MUST end for us to move on....

Old July 4th 06, 11:50 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Malcolm Bacchus[_1_]

In article .com,
(Bob Haller) wrote:

ARRGGH I AM MAD!

Correct.

Malcolm B
Old July 4th 06, 11:50 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Malcolm Bacchus[_1_]

In article . com,

*From:* "'foolsrushin'"
*Date:* 3 Jul 2006 20:55:59 -0700

Guys, I can remember buying books on space travel, but don't you think
the time has come to drop the Shuttle - and stop risking people's
lives
in a spectacular way!

Why shouldn't people risk their lives in a spectacular way if they want
to? As I have pointed out to others, America would never have been
discovered if some fools hadn't risked their lives in a spectacular
way. You most certainly wouldn't have boats, railways, cars,
electricity or aeroplanes if some folks hadn't risked their lives in a
spectacular way,

I can see it now: prehistoric man - "what? You plan to hollow out a
log and float out to sea on it? Where are you going to go? You don't
know? What happens if you fall off? You DROWN? No. Sorry, the
village elders ban it. It is time to drop the idea of cross water -
stop risking people's lives in a spectacular way."

Brilliant idea, I have to say, whoever you are. Exploration stops.
Development stops. Let's all retreat into our caves. After all, we
can't allow people to risk their lives in a spectacular way. Not even
if they want to.

Why not listen to your engineers?!

Possibly because they are disagreeing with each other?

Malcolm B