Orion XT6 or XT8?

Old January 8th 07, 02:23 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

Default Orion XT6 or XT8?

BeefyZap wrote:
I have narrowed my telescope purchase down to these two (in part thanks
to this group). Anyone have experiences with both? Is it worth the
extra $100 for the XT8? Or is the XT6 adequate for most of the good
stuff? I am interested in viewing all of the above (deep sky, planets,
moon). Thanks

Compared to the XT6, the XT8 has over 75% more light gathering power,
33% better resolution, a much larger finder, a 2-inch focuser, is
similar in length and weighs only seven pounds more. The extra $100
would be well spent.

Old January 8th 07, 07:56 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names[_1_]

Stephen Paul wrote:
BeefyZap wrote:
I have narrowed my telescope purchase down to these two (in part thanks
to this group). Anyone have experiences with both? Is it worth the
extra $100 for the XT8? Or is the XT6 adequate for most of the good
stuff? I am interested in viewing all of the above (deep sky, planets,
moon). Thanks

Good info in this thread, but see also the thread on "lazy" scopes...

If ease of setup is a factor in getting you out under the stars, then
the XT6 saves you one trip because it can be carried as an assembled
unit. The XT8 will likely have to be brought outside base first, then OTA.

I agree with those who recommend a larger aperture for both brighter
views and better resolution. Everyone should spend at least some time at
the eyepiece of a 12" or larger scope, but eventually you may find that
you really want something that's easier to get outside.

If you are only going to have one scope, in the end, the 8" aperture is
probably a good choice. However, if you have to carry the scope out in
two pieces, then why not go all the way to as big a scope as you can
carry in multiple trips. The XT10 is manageable in two pieces with only
a little more effort than the XT8, and if you're in good physical
condition then the XT12 is also a manageable two piece operation.

If you were me, you'd be considering getting both the XT6 and the XT10
(or 12). The XT6 for grab and go, and the 10/12 for Wow factor every now
and then when energy and time are plentiful.

Finally, if you get the 8", then it only makes sense to sell it once you
upgrade to the 10" or the 12". (Not that selling the 8" to get a larger
scope is a bad thing. It's just that unlike the 6" you would keep, it
leaves you without a smaller scope for grab and go.)

In the end, I'd recommend you get the XT10 or the XT12 if you know you
will be in the hobby for a long time to come (these are not easily
shipped on resale), or the XT6 if you are unsure (which is more easily
shipped on resale, not to mention costing less to begin with).

-Steve P.

Why not one of each -- XT-4.5, -6, -8, -10, and -12??? Then he could
start on the whole TeleVue line -- can never have too many scopes. :-)

Old January 8th 07, 09:54 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mij Adyaw

"Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names" wrote in message
oups.com...

Why not one of each -- XT-4.5, -6, -8, -10, and -12??? Then he could
start on the whole TeleVue line -- can never have too many scopes. :-)

That is true, however I decided to go with all AP scopes and Tele Vue
Eyepieces. Whatever floats your boat..

Orion mak 180mm and Orion 9.25xlt olli Amateur Astronomy 4 January 6th 07 03:02 PM
Orion ST 120 f/5 or 80 ED [email protected] Amateur Astronomy 7 September 21st 06 03:25 AM
Orion ED80 or Orion 120mm scope? Cerdic Amateur Astronomy 26 January 12th 06 02:43 PM
Orion DOB Eric Amateur Astronomy 4 October 20th 05 03:37 PM
Meade DSX-90AT (ETX-90AT) or Orion XT6 or Orion XT8 Stv Hutchinson Amateur Astronomy 5 November 5th 04 01:12 AM