Quindar Tone Samples ?

Old November 23rd 05, 10:46 PM posted to sci.space.history

Default Quindar Tone Samples ?

Jonathan Griffitts wrote:

In article rs.com,
mike flugennock writes

...Am I the only one here who's somehow underwhelmed by the clean,
fresh, pure, noise-free quindar tones? I think part of the excitement
of those little pings was knowing that some of them were being
transmitted from a quarter-million miles out by the first humans on the
Moon, so the clean, pure, "original" version -- devoid of any
background hiss or crackling or other long-distance xmission noise --
seems robbed of its excitement.

. . .

Nit picking time: it was my understanding that Qundar tones were
transmitted only by ground equipment, not by the spacecraft.

Let's see. . .

ALSJ seems to agree with me:

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/Hi...j/quindar.html

Well, I'll be dipped in it. I stand nitpicked. Still, after all those
years of watching film and tape and listening to the comms, does anyone
else think that the "Bootle Quindars" don't sound "right" somehow
without the "coloring" of background noise. Could just be "the moment"...

--

..

"Though I could not caution all, I yet may warn a few:
Don't lend your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools!"

--grateful dead.
Mike Flugennock, flugennock at sinkers dot org
"Mikey'zine": dubya dubya dubya dot sinkers dot org
Old November 23rd 05, 11:14 PM posted to sci.space.history

Default Rasslin' (was Quindar Tone Samples ?)

OM wrote:

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 22:00:36 -0600, Pat Flannery
wrote:

OM wrote:

...Actually, I like the whole cast, with no real favorites per se. If
I had to pick one, it would probably be Chef. Chef reminds me a lot of
someone who worked for my Pop that had a lot of influence on my
upbringing, which is why he stands out quite a bit when I think about
the show.

That's just _wrong_, OM. :-)

...In what way? This was a guy who treated me as if I were his own
son, and took me at age 9 on not one but *five* different occasions to
see All-Star Wrestling down at City Colosseum, where I got to see the
likes of Johnny Valentine, Wah-Hoo McDaniel, Bronco Luvitch, Toro
Tanaka and Ivan Putski beat the **** out of each other live in person,
back in the days when rasslin' wasn't taken over by poofters and
phonies like Hulk Hogan and Rick Flair and their ilk.

You're right on _there_, bro'. I used to watch those guys on tv in high
school in the mid'70s -- probably about the same time you caught those
matches live.

I don't know about you, but I liked pro wrestling _better_ when it was
still seedy and disreputable; actually, Hulk Hogan used to be a
_villian_ back in the early '70s, a Bad Guy so reviled that even some of
the other Bad Guys hated him, back before WWF got all big-time and
fashionable, and the Hulk wound up on the cover of SI doing that Surfer
Muscle Dude thing, taking his vitamins and saying his prayers and
preaching to all the Little Hulksters and all that bull****.

--

..

Old November 23rd 05, 11:59 PM posted to sci.space.history

mike flugennock wrote:

I don't know about you, but I liked pro wrestling _better_ when it was
still seedy and disreputable;

I don't know if "seedy" is the right word..."silly" would be a better one.
I watched it for around two weeks back when I was in Junior High School;
then it dawned on me it was rigged, so it was back to Tom Synder and The
Tomorrow Show- the thinking man's home. ;-)

Pat
Old November 24th 05, 03:52 AM posted to sci.space.history

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 17:46:35 -0500, mike flugennock
wrote:

does anyone else think that the "Bootle Quindars" don't sound "right" somehow

....Actually, that phrase in quotes by itself has a rather odd ring :-P

OM
--
]=======================================[
OMBlog - http://www.io.com/~o_m/omworld
Old November 24th 05, 03:57 AM posted to sci.space.history

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 17:59:11 -0600, Pat Flannery
wrote:

I don't know if "seedy" is the right word..."silly" would be a better one.

....Except that before it became "seedy" and/or "silly", thanks to the
likes of Mad Adrian Sweet and the ****herders from Oz, during the
mid-70's it became "swishy" and "totally gay". *That* was what killed
All-Star Wrestling as far as Texas was concerned.

FYI, I have an unconfirmed report today from another ASW fan who's
heard Wah-Hoo McDaniel's health has failed recently to the point where
he can't get out of bed now. Damn...

OM
--
]=======================================[
Old November 24th 05, 05:16 AM posted to sci.space.history

wrote:

does anyone else think that the "Bootle Quindars" don't sound "right"
somehow

...Actually, that phrase in quotes by itself has a rather odd ring :-P

Yeah. Sounds like an alien race from The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
.... or a Canadian geek-rock band.

Old November 24th 05, 04:38 PM posted to sci.space.history

wrote:

does anyone else think that the "Bootle Quindars" don't sound "right"
somehow

...Actually, that phrase in quotes by itself has a rather odd ring :-P

Yeah. Sounds like an alien race from The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
... or a Canadian geek-rock band.

Lol, the "Bootle Quindars" were actually made (AFAIK) by Gary Neff using a
tone generator and are not original quindar tones, there are tone generators
in some free audio software, and I have made some myself using the data on
one of the quindar pages (frequency, sine wave and time is all it was I
think)

Adam

P.S. The Bootle Quindars will be appearing at a restaurant near you
shortly (if you live at the end of the universe)

Old November 24th 05, 07:14 PM posted to sci.space.history

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 16:38:42 -0000, "adam bootle"
wrote:

does anyone else think that the "Bootle Quindars" don't sound "right"
somehow

...Actually, that phrase in quotes by itself has a rather odd ring :-P

Yeah. Sounds like an alien race from The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
... or a Canadian geek-rock band.

Lol, the "Bootle Quindars" were actually made (AFAIK) by Gary Neff

"Tonight on the Smothers Brothers Musical Comedy Review, welcome
special guests Donovan, Peter, Paul and Mary, the Bee Gees, and the
Gary Neff Quindars, featuring Adam Bootle on accordion!"

OM
--
]=======================================[
Old November 25th 05, 03:03 AM posted to sci.space.history

adam bootle wrote:

"Neil Gerace" wrote in message

. ..

wrote:

does anyone else think that the "Bootle Quindars" don't sound "right"
somehow

...Actually, that phrase in quotes by itself has a rather odd ring :-P

Yeah. Sounds like an alien race from The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
... or a Canadian geek-rock band.

Lol, the "Bootle Quindars" were actually made (AFAIK) by Gary Neff using a
tone generator and are not original quindar tones, there are tone generators
in some free audio software, and I have made some myself using the data on
one of the quindar pages (frequency, sine wave and time is all it was I
think)

Ahh, ha. That explains at least _part_ of it.

Still, the _original_ tones, I assume, were still quite "clean" as
opposed to the way we all remember them from all the comms we heard
while watching Apollo missions on tv.

--

..

Old November 26th 05, 05:07 AM posted to sci.space.history

"mike flugennock" wrote in message
ervers.com...
I don't know about you, but I liked pro wrestling _better_ when it was
still seedy and disreputable

Bring back the *real* Dusty Rhodes!

Florida Championship Wrestling with Gordon Solie!