ASTRO: SH2-219

Old July 18th 09, 03:03 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: SH2-219

SH 2-219 is a small emission nebula in western Auriga showing you it was
imaged months ago and I'm just getting it processed. While there's been
a lot of study on this compact emission nebula associated with a larger
unseen molecular cloud, the distance to it is rather vague. Best
estimate is about 13700 light years plus or minus 2000 light years.
Using the 13700 figure it would be about 12 light years across. It is
thought to be very young, maybe no more than 100,000 years since the
stars causing it to glow were born. Deep infrared shows a star cluster
embedded in it's southwest corner. That area is bluer than the rest so
may have some reflection component from this cluster though I see no
sign of its stars at visual frequencies. The IR POSS2 plate shows some
hint of it. Also there is reported to be a 2000 solar mass molecular
cloud nearby but no other information about it that I could find other
than it is about 24 light years long. This image is taken looking at
the heart of the winter Milky Way. It's gas and dust seem to be
blocking all but a very few distant galaxies. I couldn't find but a
very few and only saw them after blowing up the image considerably.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10 RGB=2x10, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version